Questions on Starts, Ships and PHQ

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Questions on Starts, Ships and PHQ

Rastuasi

Rastuasi avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hello, first time posting here...even though I've read this site since I started playing TC back in its early days. Anyways, I have recently been forced to restart because Steam somehow managed to corrupt every single one of my saves for my Humble Merchant play through. I have started the Terran Commander and Poisoned Paranid for two reasons.
1. My Player ship has always been the Panther, even in my last AP save that was corrupted. 121 m/2, IBL front and 20 fighters...that sucker is a beast compared to the Tiger...that and I've seemingly lost the ability to shoot and steer at the same time (tried the Tiger towards the end there of the HM plot because of curiosity...it died...very fast). Guess the turrets lowered my ability to multitask haha.
2. I've always been Commonwealth due to bigger open map at game start and greater choice in ships/weapons.
However, I wanted to change things up a bit this time.
On my Paranid start, I got the Hyperion and it is overtuned to 209 m/s, however I cannot find the Pandora crates...after 40 satellites covering all the pirate sectors. On my Terran start...I made it to Venus, docked at the SPP there and nearly wet myself seeing how big/close you get to dock at that thing. Also that you need a 30km docking run at the military post in Venus. I knew the Terran system/station sizes were big, just never had docking rights in my other games...so never knew. I've read that the Terran PHQ had better bay size, capital docking ports and other stats, which is why I originally thought I'd go with that, but the system design up there is...somewhat lacking for me.
So I guess my questions are:
1) Will the Hyperion Vanguard at 209 m/s be able to survive/kill what I could in my Panther (IBL/FAA/Aamon Prototypes/Eclipses)? How quickly will it be outclassed where I must be in a bigger ship more permanently?
2) Is it worth dealing with the other negatives, Terran systems/station size, to get the Terran PHQ over the Commonwealth?
3) M7M/M8/M2, all have their pros and cons, but for a wingman as anti-capital ai, which is better? I had a couple of the Split M8 in my Humble Merchant start, but they only seemed to get into the middle of the fight and just melt...is there a way in Vanilla to keep them at a distance and lob missiles at the fight? Kinda like a player would if flying manually?
Thanks in advance for any advice, opinions, and so on that y'all give.
Might be worth noting that I am running a vanilla game...so all my experiences are of that. I have managed to install the Bonus Pack though. Also, I run the Linux version of X3, so another reason I remain Vanilla.

Rastuasi

Rastuasi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I'd like to add, for my Paranid game...I was debating on if I should get a Kyoto or use the Aran for a "larger" flagship....like a mobile home away from home. Kyoto would have killing power..albeit with painfully slow guns and could dock my Hyperion (I think its the Kyoto) but the Aran could hold a larger fleet overall and have more bay. Thoughts?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Answers:
1) It depends on your loadout, and your skill level. The Hyperion can go through a lot, I always liked having 8 CIG's up the front and letting PACs in the turrets deal with Fighters; but the main reason it's soo deadly is that it's fast and well shielded. Its ability to take out anything relies on that it can dodge anti-cap weapons, and it's shields will hold up against lots of fighters; a Heavy Dragon has as much killing potential as the Hyperion against capitols, but it just cant really deal with the fighters (lack of shielding, turrets and agility), so that's why the Hyperion is so good. So an answer, yeah it can kill what a Panther can kill; don't expect to do it quickly though, that' the main reason you want bigger things...
2) The Terran PHQ is slightly better, but only really because it can build a Valhalla when a Commonwealth one can't... You also can't get an over-tuned Hyperion (unless you get the crates) if you want a Terran PHQ, so I'd say no.
3) Usually look towards the M3+ department for anti-cap wing-men, as they mount M3 weapons with good generators and nice shielding, allowing for more flexibility and survivability; but if you want raw power, look towards the deca.cefa and the Spitfyre, as they can mount up to 8 M/AML (which are just CIGs that use ammo instead of energy) which makes them devastatingly powerful! If you want M6 wing-men, the Skiron is a good choice, as its fast, hard to kill and good against fighters, but of course the Hyperion is king, but you will need the PHQ for them!
Best way for bombers to stay out of it is to stick them away from anything and tell their missile turrets to 'Attack Capitols', then they will happily lob missiles at their targets; its quite intelligent too, as it will fire enough missiles to kill the target at it's current health + a couple of extras, but then no more until those missiles have detonated, which reduces a lot of waste. If the target wasn't killed (as in it shot some down) it will then try again. Very clever, but I rarely use bombers, too OP.

I don't like Terran ships at all, so I'll let someone else do the recommendation... But in TC I did like having the Aran as a Flag ship, which I would have about 10 Skirons on board to defend it, the TLS with Gauss Cannons to kill Capitols and my Cobra for boarding ops, plus a few personal fighters an a couple of TS/TPs, so it is a good idea!

I will be the one to take you down!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

I kind-of agree with RandomTank with the Terran ships, although for me its not the ships which let down the Terran's its the weapons - they take so damn long to fire. However if you side with the Terran, just think of your boarding enemies as the Argons.

as for a wingman, M2's are too slow - most of the time the ship spins around, trying to keep up. M7M are good as missile defenders - which can be very useful. and as for M8's, well I wouldnt really recommend them too much, as their small cargo-bays will limit their missile carry size.

Morcain

Morcain avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

2) The Terran PHQ is slightly better, but only really because it can build a Valhalla when a Commonwealth one can't... You also can't get an over-tuned Hyperion (unless you get the crates) if you want a Terran PHQ, so I'd say no.

- RandomTank

Hmms..does this mean that Commonwealth PHQs can 'copy' overtuned Hyperions? Or..just that you can't get an overtuned Hyperion unless you do the PP start?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Sorry to disappoint, but you can not build overtuned ships. The only way they can be overtuned is by collecting the special crates for engines and rudders.

Morcain

Morcain avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

Thanks Roguey, that's what I thought, but..I'm thinking wrong thoughts all the time so I thought I'd get confirmation >=)

Rastuasi

Rastuasi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Sorry for delay in post, RL got me busy. Thanks for the advice and as for M2's, they wouldn't be wingmen. I was debating on a larger anti-capital ship for when I am chewing on more than what my OT Hyp Vanguard can handle. Right now, instead of the Kyoto..need standings still, I am using the Aran that I've RE'd and built, but it's speed sucks. I thought of the Kyoto being a good boat cause it could be an "Oh crap...3 M2's..well ok dock into Kyoto and bam, big guns." However, my friend tried a Kyoto for a long time and ended up settling with the Tyr and docking it in the Aran to jump around (so it won't need much ecells due to derped bay). PSPs and the size between turrets on the Kyoto is a turnoff for actual combat.

In the meantime...I've built a missile complex with a Cobra docked onto my Aran to try for major combat. Unfortunately, I've recently discovered that since I use the Linux Native version of X3AP, the missile trails don't really show, so I cannot see the flails...and hammers barely show past 4km so the "Oooooh pretty lights" effect doesn't come in...kinda making the tediousness of supplying the m7m less...worthwhile. Any other ideas on a fun setup in your opinions?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

I always thought the Kyoto was crap for M2 combat, as I hate PSPs and it's turret locations are too far apart; this means you will only get 1 turret on a target lost of the time... With only 8 PSP.... Yuk! Love the look of it though, feels very modern navy ship in space, and I found it is a great personal ship when you want to sit at the back of the battlefield, launching fighters wings and missiles, and commanding the rest of your fleet! In this case I'd just clever it in all SSC, for killing pesky fighters and M6s.

Surprisingly, I don't mind the Tyr because it looks cool, it's hard as nails, and it's DPS actually matches commonwealth M2's.... Just a shame about the cargo bay! I love the Titan, it makes for such simple fleet logistics (24 PPC, 16 EBC), they have a very small profile, are very cheap and I like the look of them. Never been a fan of the Oddy, too fat and too expensive, and not fast enough for the PSGs; the Python is very killy because all it's PPCs can fire forward, and its tiny profile means that it can dodge fire, but it's not very tough and it can't take flaks. Rays are average, work like the Titan, I just wish its ICs were longer range. Phoenix's are quite tough, and have a fearsome cargo bay, making GCs very good on it, but they're not very good in fleets as they're so big (damn collision detection!). Pteranodons are crap in AI hands, but are very effective in the player's hands; the Boreas is basically a flat upgrade to the Titan, but is quite a bit more expensive, I use it as a flagship. The Osaka is a great OOS defence ship, but other than that I don't find it very useful as Terran weapons are pretty... Crap. And of course... The Mega! The big bad battle-cruiser; it's a bit slow and it's gen capacity isn't amazing, but doggarn it does it pack a punch! Looks great, super killy, but is frikking huge; is only use one.

One tip with the Aran: you can tow it with a tractor beam at 80m/s, the cheapest ship that can do this is the Caiman Miner, which can also carry an extra 7k of cargo; it helps a lot to do this, as the Aran then becomes faster than any M2! It's also a great idea to carry a Panther or Pteranodon in it, as you then get a great mobile attack fleet (you could carry an M1 but they're not good in the anti-cap department, having to rely on their fighters entirely). I found that a wing of Skirons is great protection for an Aran, as they're well shielded, mount plenty of weaponry and can have a few PRGs in turrets which are good for fighter defense!

I will be the one to take you down!

You need to log-in to post here.