nova raider

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » nova raider

bubbleman

bubbleman avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 11 years ago.

best weapon layout for a nova,first post and just started playing and im getting hooked

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

I play TC but I think that the Nova Raider is one of the better M3 fighters available. And the stats are the same for TC and AP.
I have mine grouped together into 4 or 5 ship squadrons/wings.

My weapon load-out (totally personal) goes like this;
In the rear turret I always have a Phased Repeater Gun and have it set for 'missile defense'.
For main guns I like using 8 Phased Repeater Guns in most of my Nova Raiders.

But I do have some with a mixed weapon loads.
If I'm not carrying a 'full load' of missiles, I will mix Energy Bolt Chainguns with the PRG's. These require ammo and the ammo takes up some cargo space, but they have the same range as the PRG's. 2 EBC-4PRG-2EBC
The High Energy Plasma Thrower is a good weapon too for these guys.

Personally, I don't use Plasma Buster Generators in any of my fighters.
The chance for friendly-fire incidents is too high.

All my Nova Raiders carry Tempest missiles but I expect mine to be fighting other M3's. Thunderbolt missiles would work here too. But the Nova Raider is able to launch a nice variety of missiles.

edit: welcome to the site, bubbleman.

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
bubbleman

bubbleman avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

thanks for the advice ,it sure is some game,just got my first million trading and bought a cheap nova ,wiyh youre help im getting it rigged out and starting combat,cheers

martimus

martimus avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 11 years ago.

I have mine fitted with 8 HEPTs in the front and a PRG in the rear.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

That's a good arrangement.
Always able to change those weapons later on if you decide to.

Make sure you go into the 'command console' and have that rear turret set to the "mission" you want it to do.
There are a number of commands, like 'missile defence', 'attack fighter', 'attack my target', etc.
Some of these might require certain software upgrades to be a available.

The "main guns" don't have these types of commands, you have to "order" the ship to attack from the Combat list.

Now the big question is; How many of these good fighters might you wind up with later in your game?
I had 12, down to 8...looking to finish out with 20 or so.

Good fighter. Good weapons. Good times.
Beer

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

hmm.. well HEPT's are kindof jack of all trades - good at slower moving ships like M3's. Although M4/M5's may become pests. I would suggest 4 or 6 HEPT's grouped in group 1, then in slots 7 and 8 something fast like PAC's for them fast moving targets. These could be setup into group 2. Then I would suggest group 3 to be all weapons. This means if you find some fast moving targets you can quickly switch between guns - 8 HEPT's will drag your weapon energy very quickly.

You can assign weapons to groups in the weapons page, and pressing enter on each gun then telling it to add to group. Press the number 1 to 4 to switch when in fighting to change weapon groups.

bubbleman

bubbleman avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

good replies fellas,im only early game but my nova is swatting them like flies only capped a freighter but you know what they say about practice,cheers again

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

A Nova Raider was my first M3, a long time ago--in a Sector far far away Big Grin

The weapon load-out was what-ever I could get my hands on back then.
There was a mix of PAC, HETP, and EBC.
I remember being really happy when I found a PRG to replace the rear turret.
And she's still part of my fleet.

Ahh, you never forget your first Love

JackKiller2266

JackKiller2266 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 11 years ago.

lol, if it is in my Wings or i am flying it i do 8 EBC's (So i usually keep at lest 90 Crates of EBC Ammo) and 1 PRG, but if it is OoS than i use 8 HEPT's and 1 PRG, and same with cjm3fl, it was my first M3 i got in TC where it had 6 HEPT's and 3 PRG (1 on back), this helped me take down a lot of P's during Xenon invasions, i switched to EBC's in AP

Klord

Klord avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 11 years ago.

Back then it was one of the most favored fighters in X universe. Mine too...still love it. Love
Use a mixture of EBC & HEPT. So you wont run out of energy while dealing good amount of damage. Guns

I am a Human...so damn Human.

You need to log-in to post here.