nearly 30mil credits but now what

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » nearly 30mil credits but now what

PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hello folks ....
Just cranked up the account here at Roguey's ( thanks Roguey ! ) and figured I would drop a hello to the viewers here . Hello !
I played X3R awhile back and considered myself a newb from the day I started until the day I stopped . I never capped a ship , built a station or complex . Fact is I found the game quite daunting in its complexity .

Fast forward a couple years and I recently purchased X3 Terran War pack and jumped right into AP since it has the latest updates/interface etc .

I've managed to collect 30million credits and I'm pretty clueless where to invest . I am playing AP / Humble Merchant / Bonus Pack and was hoping to learn the game properly this time in the Xverse .
I love the thought of flying around a Boron Mega as a flagship while my empire makes me money but after the initial cost of the Mega ( 150m est ) I wouldnt even know how to setup weapons .
I also intend to grind the Argon>PHQ plots in the future .

Anyway ...obviously 30mill is meager by this games standards and Im sure a lot of you X tycoons would chuckle this is alot of credits to me and I really dont know where to put it . I have the argon mercury ( sold the disco ) .

Should I plant satellites and stations , plan out and create a complex , upgrade ships and discover the xverse or buy 10 Mistril fleet and start a squad of ST ?

PS

SurvivorSue

SurvivorSue avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 11 years ago.

Let me congratulate you on having got that much credits without spending it!
At this early stage you want to aim at having half your wealth invested in hardware and half as working capital. Exactly what hardware you choose is a matter of personal taste and style. To begin with you want two personal ships for missions and personal trading, all your ships should be equiped as well as you can afford, this is essential to stay ahead of the competition. Then as you can afford it set up TSs as Sector Traders to earn you money auto. I would as early as possible set up a silicon mine in a safe sector like Herons Nebula and gradually expand it into a complex. Before you do anything like setting up STs or complexes go to the Egosoft site and read up on how to do it well and go to forums with any specific questions that might arise from what you read!
Good Luck and I look forward reading how you plan to spend your first Billion credits!

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I agree with SurvivorSue. The best results seem to be obtained by reinvesting earned credits into making more credits faster. With 30 mil you can get some marines in training for later and purchase a good corvette. Then use the rest to create more traders.

What I like to do at this stage is start building complexes after I get my preferred personal fighter and TM (Nova Raider or any of the Mambas and Boa respectively). In recent times I sort of shy away from drug/booze complexes and focus on high yield silicon mines and food products. Then get some CAGs to operate them for me. The good thing about AP is the bonus pack script that will build stations for you, then I just hire a TL to haul the complex construction kits to the site.

Another option is to invest in an early TL and use it as a mobile home and do build missions until you have enough money to create complexes to support your military.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

hmm.. I think investing early in a TL could be a little boring for some. I know they do allow you to the build missions and a mini-home base but often people like to get into the battles and that. TL's arent suited for that.

I would suggest something like a M6+ (Argon Heavy Centaur), or saving a bit more and going for a M7 (Tiger, Thresher etc.). M7's being the better, needing more money to equip them. However it can be fun finding weapon(s) and slowly upgrading your ship.

The Boron Mega is a great ship - and I would suggest boarding one when you get the resources Smile

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 11 years ago.

Welcome PerfectStranger!

30 Million is a great starting point, you can do pretty much whatever you like from now on. Thing is, where you go from here depends on your game style. The way I see it, you get 4 choices really:
1. Go for combat:
- Buy a M6 kit her out and you have a nice ship that will last you quite a while.
- I think you could even grab that Boron Guppy. It's a great base of operations, as it has good turret coverage, is relatively fast and can dock TS/TP class ships. Fitting it out would bring you down to zero, but give you a great base of operations, which will last you.

2. ST/UT:
- Setting up a couple ST/UT's is very popular to make money in the game. With that kind of money, you could setup a fleet of 'em traders and let 'em run. Just be careful as they do work with your bank account thus you gotta keep your balance above the 1M point at all times.
- Personally I'm using the Economy And Supply traders script. It allows you to set a bit advanced local/sat. network/universe traders. These ships bring in a lot of money too, but more importantly they are more inteligent when it comes to survival. This with UT's is very important as the default scripts quite often lead 'em into death.

3. Stations/Complex:
- You could hire a TL and start building out your trade empire somewhere. I do love to build booze/weed plexes around the Galaxy (C'mon everybody, let's do the twist!). It will cost you all you have earned and it will very slowly bring money back in, but it will bring in lot's more then it cost you in time.
- Complexes are always worth having, it's more of a question of what kind and where to build 'em. (another thing...if you're gonna have big complexes or lot's of 'em, check out Complex Cleaner mod, will make your life easier and CPU happier)

4. Grab a TL:
At this point, I must admit that I do love TL's. They are the perfect beginning base for me. You get enough shielding to last a little while, turret coverage is decent and with a couple fighters they can hold their own for a while. Even more, you can start building anywhere and anything, so you can start bringing on an internal production in a secluded sector, build in Pirate/Yaki/Unknown sectors etc. More importantly you can deliver those stations yourself, meaning the logistical nightmare of getting stations from Grand Exchange into Bala Gi's Joy is gone. Just jump your TL there, pick up what you need and drop it off where you like it.
If you play as Pirate or as battle hungry <something>, the TL allows you to scavange the battlefields after the fights, netting you lot's of hardware. Essentially a hardware storehouse, where you can store the weapons/shields/other when you don't need it and don't or can't sell 'em off.

Those are the possibilities I see, maybe I missed something (yes...capping...). What I'd like to point out here, is that any way you will invest that money will return itself. You should do whatever you like most, whatever you feel will make the game most interesting NOW for you. You can even combine some of the possibilities, like say buy 1-2 ST's, a factory or two with traders and you still should have enough for an M6/TL. This could very well work for you, as that way you can see which brings most fun into the game for you, and you already have setup a small company.

Hope that helps a little, good luck!

Burn rubber, not your soul!
PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions .

I have put 8 Mistral Super Freighters fully decked out into the universe as UT's and they are climbing their pilot ranks fast . I have argon,teladi,boron, even split and paranid loving my traders and my ranks are 6+ with the 5 major races in game . I have NO CLUE how to begin collecting notoriety with Terran/ATF/Goner/Atreus/Duke's/Jonferco/OTAS/NMMC or if there is even a ranking system for those . Yaki and Pirates is a mystery to me as well .

I have had a few days of TP missions and those helped ALOT and its time to move to a personal use TL . Since its going to be for Build missions ( so I can learn more about stations preparing for my first plex ) as well as my mobile base I guess I should pick a TL with a hangar . Could really use some help here as I have never setup ships for combat in the x-series . As an alternative I could buy a destroyer and just kit a TL for build missions only . But again ... I have never setup a combat ship ..let alone a destroyer .

The argon plot message happen days ago and I have not started it yet .
I have not traveled into a war sector or anything with Terran presence .
Should I cover the current known universe with satellites and maybe put a sector explorer out there ? How good is the script for automated exploring and will it really screw with my UT fleet ?

I have plenty of credits now and can build/buy almost anything..but a little apprehensive about the time invested in possibly failing the next step and going back to previous saves etc .

PS

PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Ideally I guess Im going to build the merchant dream business ....create enough UT's and stations to just keep the credits coming in constantly but at the same time I need to plan for inevitable combat and prepare to be able to proved a combat fleet with its own weapons/ecells/shields etc but with no real experience with ship kitting all I can do is consider the crazy amount of choices and not do anything .

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

TLs don't make good combat ships. What I do is just put the max shields on it and put all the software it would ever need with a jumpdrive. I prefer the Orca as my TL for building. Its roomy and cheap. Despite what people say, speed and hanger is not a factor in selecting a TL for building. Perhaps if you were using it to fight in or as a poor mans carrier, then sure, i could see speed being relevant. I would rather be able to fit 8 more CCKs or 3 more stations in the hold than to be 50 m/s faster and have to make a lot more trips. All IMO of course.

Kitting out a destroyer is fairly straightforward. In most cases you will want PPC on front and sides with FAA everywhere else. There are variations on this but it is still usually PPC + FAA. In AP, be wary of missile boats. Even an M8 can make short work of even the largest, most heavily shielded vessels.

AFAIK (I've never used it) the explorer software isn't actually fully automated. You have to direct it to explore the sectors and fly through gates. Setting up a sat network is always a good idea if you have the time. You can enable SEWN (sat early warning network) to find abandoned ships and the advanced uses with your own response fleets.

UTs have more options in AP so they work much better. Just be sure to blacklist the war sectors when you find them and any pirate or terran sectors (assuming you are playing a commonwealth race). There comes a point when the UTs experience diminished returns because eventually with so many UTs running around the economy becomes fairly stable and generates less profits. One thing to remember with UTs is that speed is key. If you really want to use Mistrals for UTs, I recommend the regular ones (with speed and cargo upgrades), not the super freighter versions. If you have access to the Baldric, it makes a great UT as well. I have been told that the TMs make good UTs but I can tell you from experience this is false. They have good shielding and speed, but the cargo is too small and they are constantly screaming for help because they get full.

The best way to figure stuff out is read a lot of others experiences and experiment with things to see what works for you.

SurvivorSue

SurvivorSue avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 11 years ago.

To add to Sinxars point about the Explorer Ext. not being auto. A well known wheeze in the previous X3 games was to set a fast M5 to to follow the UFO ship that patrols the whole X universe to open up your map to all sectors. You can still use this in AP but you should stop it on reaching the war sectors as you will almost certainly loose your M5 if it travels through them!

PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Awesome guys and thanks for the tips .

I will run the TL as a station ship and wont bother with the mobile player base , there are bigger more powerful ships for that !

Shame on the fully automated satellite and or sector explorer ship though as it would have been nice to make a small invest in credits and let the thing loose to do my bidding .

Guess I can postpone some TL missions and go do the leg work myself .

PS

XeNoN

XeNoN avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

PErfect Stranger@
Here is the fastest build you can acomplish:
If youre playing full-blown-assassin type start (works best with the bankrupt assassin) as someone already said level up your marines, get good corvette (H Nemesis, Dragon or Skiron) then try to cap some unique corvettes/TS, after that sell your old corvettes and TS's you dont need, also make sure you cap Hyperion or PX (i always play with Xenon ships because im used to xD and imo are cool but everyone has its own taste), anyway do as many assassin missions you can find and gain your fighting rank to at least Assassin, also pwn some Terrans along the way to increase your F Rank, but dont engage bigger ships than M6-M7 it will tear you to pieces, if you got some nice frigate like:
Tiger, Cobra (M7M best for capping ships), Panther... then you can pwn some asses Big grin and ofc steal/cap M2+, i always go for Xenon I but also you should know that you need some "tanky" ship such as : Megalodon or some other good M2+ because Xenon I is a candy among M2+ destroyer, its a mixure between M2+ and m7m (can missile barrage), anyway if you understand my short-guide-advice then cool if not i can write you a nice guide for assassin/pirate players, OH i forgot, if you started very badly with Bankrupt Assassin start, go to Hatikvah's Faith and steal the ships there, after you do just selll them right away, if you come across to a nice M3+ like Adv Mamba (in 1.5 years of playinc TC/AP ive managed to cap it only 3-4 times which is extremely rare ship) youre good or even Venti or something like that.
For Humble Merchant, in short term, buildd yourself a nice complex 30 mills is very nice start, just buy a decent TL like Orca or Elephant and youre good to go (it can be even your how-to-say buffed up M6 and it can also be used for capping/trading etc other than bulding stations and such).
Anyway just make your income first if youre goin to play as piece-lover Big grin, then you can think about the war, capping etc. This is my best advice i can give you in this point.

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

-Andrew Ender Wiggin

You need to log-in to post here.