Ion disruptors use...?

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Ion disruptors use...?

Vaikran

Vaikran avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

Despite what everybody says on forums, guides, wiki's ect. I am not convinced that the Ion disruptors can be used for capping smaller ships AT ALL. I have spent about 2 hours now constantly reloading a Xenon Defense and Defend against Pirates missions and attempting to capture ships. I am using a Heavy Centaur with 6x Ion disruptors and HEPTs in the turrets. I have attempted to capture multiple ships with a 0% success rate involving the Ion Disruptors. Yet my HEPTS that randomly fire at enemies are better at making them bail out. I have gotten ships to 2% health and spent 5-10 minutes with my Ion disruptors on them with no success. I take down targets shields immediately and use bursts from my turrets to lower their hull with no success. Ive even tried using missiles to lower the hull while keeping the shields down.

It is my personal conclusion that ION DISRUPTORS ARE USELESS when capping.

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here.”
―Alice in Wonderland
Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

IDs were nerfed for capping fighters long ago. As such they are worthless in the role you describe.
Their use is in boarding ops where you drop the shields quickly to allow Marines to get in or to fry off defences prior to launching marines.
For capping fighter sized targets, the Mass driver is the better weapon; drop the hull under 85% and then drop the shields produces a much higher bail rate.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

I agree, the spark can also cause extra problems, agro nearby ships. Like you guys said, its lost its purpose now.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Ahhhhh the days of X2....

Stripping the shields off ANYTHING with a single pair of Ions... Good times!
But seriously, it would shield-strip a K pretty efficiently, and then you could just finish it off with BHEPT's.
Also great for capping Khaak M3's and selling the guns for 1.7mill each!

But I agree, they seem pretty useless for capping now, they do not do enough shield DPS to be a viable replacement for a HEPT, and as you say, they make friends angry Go nuts. They are a pretty efficient missile defense though...

I will be the one to take you down!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

make friends angry Go nuts. They are a pretty efficient missile defense though...

I guess, but the lighting could jump and argo other ships. Something like mass-driver would be better for that. Even a PAC does a fairly good job of missile defence.

Vaikran

Vaikran avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

Ironically the hours i spent attempting to get a L for the main plot were fruitless. But when i decided to say screw it and just got a Panther Raider, then the FAA on the rear dropped a L to 85% hull and he bailed. Moral of the story is... Dont bother trying.

Also would you by chance please change the ID description on the website? Smile
so that way future new players wont attempt to cap with the ID lol

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here.”
―Alice in Wonderland
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Also would you by chance please change the ID description on the website?

I have updated both the X3TC/AP versions now. I agree the text was based on the older x-games.

You need to log-in to post here.