1.0 - Anybody still playing?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » 1.0 - Anybody still playing?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

I waited until it came out to buy it. So is anybody still playing? Seems like the community left once it was released officially.

Anyway been messing around in my Sidewinder doing missions and upgraded to an Adder then upgraded it fairly well. Overall I am honestly disappointed. There is nothing to really do. Just grind missions, grind trades or grind bounties. Mining is the worst though.

I like the spaceship simulation. The KB + mouse controls are easy to use and accurate. But other than that, unless I am missing something, there is no content. I play online and the only people I see are groups of pirates trying to interdict me when I fly through anarchy systems.

What else is there to do?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 9 years ago.

hi there, glad to hear you got an copy.

I can understand how you feel - as I felt like that before. Although you could say that about the x-games once the plot ends. You kind-of set your own goals, and when to stop. Myself im looking for a ASP, to improve my combat. The basic goal is to make money, so you can fly bigger/stronger ships.

I do agree the game needs more content however; more ships, planet landing and a story would be nice. Hopefully these features will be added at a later date. At-least with ED it has a strong core, the basic mechanics seem solid.

I havnt tried any mining yet, so I cant really comment. I remember one of the developers saying it was bare-bones however.

A few other things you can do are;

- Travel to the nav-beacon and scan for wanted ships (if you have the combat power) - combat is pretty good,
- Trade in rare goods (remember to travel 100ly+ to sell them),
- Work yourself up to either an Viper or a Cobra (both are quite good for combat),

and to answer your question, yes im playing; Cmdr Roguey

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

Was messing around with my Cobra today and had a really good run with it. The main thing I like about it is how balanced it is in what it can do. Has a very large cargo (and expandable) with good shield/hull/speed.

Took it out in Neto to the nav beacon and got a total of 150k in bounties from just 3 ships - a dropship and two Asp. None of which were able to bring my shields down. I tried to take down an Anaconda in my sidewinder (this was a mission) but had to run away leaving him with about half hull and me around 25%. So with this Cobra loadout it should be able to take one down easily.

I find the more I play the easier it is to make money. I remember struggling to get credits for my previous Adder. Now I am making that much money in an hour or so of basically doing nothing.

I think I need to look into trading to see what that is all about. I have done a little bit, but I mostly just do missions for quick cash.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Thats true; the longer you play, the easier things get - as it doesnt give you any tutorials. Basically you have to figure things out yourself.

When fighting other ships, remember to keep an eye on the combat rank - as this tells you what kind-of equipment they have installed. An Harmless Anaconda is much much easier than a Elite one - even a Elite Sidewinder is a more of a fight.

Just recently - thanks to Gomorragh, ive been trading in rare items. They usually sell for a million per run (50-70 units in the cargo-bay). I found a map that shows there they are sold here. You need a large jump-range (I had 28ly with a Type 6 but I think a Hauler can have a fairly good range too), and a fuel-scoop (refuelling at stations takes too long). The Type 6 has allowed me to move up-to an ASP recently;

The ASP has no extra equipment installed atm, apart from a fuel-scoop. So the 12ly range will make rare trading slower until I can get a better frame-shift drive. Im hoping with a few runs of rare I can whack on a better drive, then some armament (the type6 is a good trade ship but has to run when someone indicts them). When I was doing the run in a Cobra, atleast I can turn around and attack them.

Atm im a little confused with weapons, most of them offer the same/similar damage. Fixed weapons seem more or less pointless to me, as they often miss more than they hit. And there doesnt really seem all that much choice. In the Beta builds there were like 6 different types of each - I guess it was reduced to make it easier to understand. Im also not sure about missiles - as it looks like the ammo is way too low. Multi-cannons are very good although.

I also hope they add a few more stats too - shields for example.

oh, and a shield booster is very good idea! when your shields are low, use it and they will be restored - it saves hull damage!

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

When I first started I got busted with stolen goods. I told my brother about it and he linked me this video.

Yea... No way I could have done that. Upon further inspection of that channel I found that all his E:D vids are pretty epic like that. This one is real good too:

ed: linked the wrong video. It is correct now.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Well to be honest I dont think its worth the hassle - stealth attacks, sneaking in etc.. Ive picked up stolen goods in the past, and got fines of over 30k+. Sneaking up to targets would work for a little until they turn around and shoot you - your shields would be down for too long!

So far the best way I found is doing long-distance rare trading, which can net around a million per run. Each run does take awhile to do (there is a lot of gathering to do) but very profitable. So far bagged a ASP with around 21ly range - which makes it a lot easier. Although either a type 6 or a hauler should be able to do them too.

Mayak

Mayak avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 9 years ago.

Damn that's some impressive manoeuvring in the second one. I think I need to try and get the hang of flying with that assist off!

Rassyu

Rassyu avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 9 years ago.

yes very nice vids. i recently bought the game as well having fun fighting. i also sent you a friend request roguey im look for ppl to play with. Also if anyone wants to add me they can cmdr Rassyu.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

Wow just has the worst luck ever. So I was loaded up with rares flying my Cobra. I flew 300 LY to sell and pick up some more rares.

I am 1.20 Mm from the station in Eshu. I get interdicted and since my throttle is at zero (literally 1 second from exiting supercruise) I am pulled out of supercruise right away. Before I can even react the ship that interdicted me rams me and I explode. While the rares aren't really that expensive (only carrying full load of 32) the huge waste of time is killer. Took ages to get there fully loaded. That was real annoying.

Thinking about picking up a type 6 and fitting for max cargo and doing normal trade runs. But damn trading is so boring. I wish Anacondas had higher bounties. With the mission reward + the bounty it is only around 200k credits per anaconda kill mission. While it is easy to kill them it takes ages to actually find the right guy to kill for the mission. And when you do if he is in the wrong ship you don't get any credit.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Before I can even react the ship that interdicted me rams me and I explode.
- Sinxar

I had a similar experience with a cobra too; although from exiting a USS. I went straight into a Type 9 and blew up too. I know what you mean about gathering, it does take get all the rares together.

Thinking about picking up a type 6 and fitting for max cargo and doing normal trade runs. But damn trading is so boring.
- Sinxar

When is trading ever exciting? I had a type 6 for a little bit, and whilst it offers more cargo-space, its fairly unarmed and weaker shields. So I would recommend staying around the safer areas if you plan on doing a lot of trading. I was luckily around Lave, as I didnt get interdicted much, but the one time I did I suffered from 20% hull damage - maybe I was just unlucky?

I wish Anacondas had higher bounties. With the mission reward + the bounty it is only around 200k
- Sinxar

Ive gave-up on these, I always get Elite Anaconda's which are nearly impossible to kill. Since they are Elite, I dont find them worthwhile as I would get too much damage from them. I found that scanning ships (with a Kill Warrant Scanner) in Orrere, then attacking them can give some large bounties. I got 500k worth of tickets to turn in atm.

Although with the rare trading, I finding the ASP is a safer bet. Its able to defend itself and transport a large amount of rares. I swapped the type 5 shield, for a type 6 (now B) and put a 32+8+8 cargo modules (giving me 48 units). I havnt lost the ship yet, but I came close the other day.

Gomorragh

Gomorragh avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Im currently using the same cargo setup on my asp, and trading rares till i get the 2nd up armour, got a good run round my rare route last night and it took about 105 mins to do the whole run, including scanning a few things and 1 interdiction, weird interdiction though, dropped out of jump into interdiction, i go to slam the throttle to zero just to find the interdiction has thrown me into the unsafe area round the star i was jumping in at, so i end up, sat there, 98% hull waiting for the pirate which never turns up, but .... i get to the next rare collection and lo and behold i have a bounty reward waiting ..... mush have destroyed the interdicting ship with it trying to drag me out ...... very weird .... But does mean i might be able to drop the run time a bit more.

As for entering stations, im a bit of a loon, i fly in at full speed in the asp, ive nearly met other players in the doorway ....

Cmdr Gomorragh - Stares at players, just waiting ......
Rassyu

Rassyu avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

As for entering stations, im a bit of a loon, i fly in at full speed in the asp, ive nearly met other players in the doorway ....

Ive lost a ship that way, was exiting the station i line up with the door boost and a imperial clipper is stuck sideways that i did not see. So i bounce off of him with 56% hull remaining and i get wedged betwin the station and something else and i ping pong there till i die.... So moral of the story i dont boost to get out of station anymore lol.

Gomorragh

Gomorragh avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

my viper ... went in at full boost and a type 9 decided to leave, didnt even get pingponged, lol

Cmdr Gomorragh - Stares at players, just waiting ......

You need to log-in to post here.