Planetary landing

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » Planetary landing

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

Elite Dangerous - First Look at Planet Footage (Oct 15, 2015)

Elite Dangerous: Horizons Planet reveal Trailer (Oct 12, 2015)

Elite Dangerous: Horizons Teaser (Aug 5, 2015)

Adjoint

Adjoint avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 8 years ago.

From what I hear it won't be free.
I also hear that it will be a different game from this , but that wouldnt make it good :/

Edit : Hmm . I found a video that they explain some things but I didnt have the time to watch it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Em7TLwFifE

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

hey, yea your right adjoint - planet landings will be the addon - horizons, not the base game. However vanilla and addon players will be able to play together, just not do any of the extra things in the addon. Im pretty sure also that the addon will see another years worth of updates - as they are calling it season 2.

Those planet landings do look really good, and I bet that just in alpha stage.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

Yeah, that how I understood it as well. The planetary landing adds a new cruise-level (which are essentially load screen) when you get closer to surface. The gameplay itself sounds like what for example Mass Effect 1 Mako is; collecting resources and action. I hope Frontier is able to add lots of depth to gameplay.

Other upcoming extensions looks fine as well (video below) and good thing is that it doesn't seem to go too much same direction with Star Citizen or X-series.

I have still quite mixed feelings about Elite: Dangerous but I will most likely buy the expansions anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Em7TLwFifE
- Adjoint

Thanks for the link.

It is very disappointing to see how badly gaming sites wrote news about EGX Elite: Dangerous -session. I have already lost pretty much all trust and interest to gaming news sites and this definitely didn't help.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

hmm.. well I thought it would be a seamless transition from space, to landing - no loading screens as such. As you said, hopefully they put some reason for landing on planets.

Im guessing with this, we will see new places to trade with - on the planets?

However they are a lot further on with the development than whats being shown on the videos now, as its supposed to be out soon?

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

I don't know how reliable this source is but here is a small explanation about Orbital Cruise. I wouldn't be too worried, it can still be quite nice and not too disturbing.

If I remember right in the other interview they were talking about some kind of space fights on the surface and other possibilities. Just wondering if they are going to have anything handcrafted or if all station placements, crashed ships, etc. are placed according to some algorithm. Automatically generated missions and events saved lots of time and money but in worst case can make the universe feel very dull, repetitive and "dead". Things doesn't happen "for a reason" but because of a dice. Handcrafting was one feature that made "The Witcher 3" feel much more personal and much better than most of the other cRPGs that uses randomization ("collect 5 flowers", "go to place X and kill 6 thugs", etc.)

Of course the size of the universe forces them to generate automatically as much as possible but maybe they have some other ideas how the universe would be more "living".

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

"Here is this week’s quick-and-dirty unedited video capture from the Planetary Landings update for Horizons (using the same dev machines as before) as we begin a raid on a surface base, using two SRVs and a ship. Still quite a few elements need work which I won’t list here, but you can see there's been good progress since last week."

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

kind-of short video, but does look like its coming together. I guess the buggy is under attack, but doesnt really suffer much damage? I did think the buggy may not have shields, as its a small craft. hmmm.

thanks for posting these videos Smile

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Exploring the Unknown - First SRV combat:

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Its looking good, but I wonder how many things were will be on the planet. I do hope there arent just 4 or 5 drones, as they will quickly get boring. I do like the turret idea, but I was kind-of surprised that it didnt auto-aim in the cockpit view - like a gimbal weapon.

Also, when they said you ship is a sitting duck on the planet, surely an anaconda should be fairly safe anyway? another thing, the ship took off on its own, I wonder if we be seeing more of auto-pilot in the future?

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

I saw somewhere a mention that there would be different sizes of SRVs. I guess they could be upgradeble like ships as well? Don't you think gimbal would make it a bit too easy? Smile - to me it looked quite easy already, but it is possible that the guy who played made it look easy.

If I heard right I think the guy said your ship would go to orbit if you go further than 2km from it. On the demo it looked like he selected something from the menu to make your ship go to orbit.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

There are plenty of new videos available. The release date seems to be November 24th.

The only thing I'm a bit disappointed is that they are not going to/can't release Horizons for OSX.

Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 8 years ago.

Can anyone land on the planets? Idid not get horzions .

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 8 years ago.

No sorry you have to have horizons to land.

Honestly I can't say it adds a lot to justify the price right now. It is nice to have planet outpost to land at. Exploring the surface can be fun. You can collect minerals and find loot and POI's on the surface. You also get access to the Cobra MKIV.

You collect materials for Synthesis. You can craft ammo upgrades or refuel/repair the SRV in the field. I wish you could put upgrades on it though maybe like better life support or shield boosters.

Since you have the base game you can get it at a discount for $45 USD. But still a bit steep IMO, but consider there is new content coming in 2016.

A more relevant pic:
Picture

I got a flag skin for my viper mkIII I think it looks good.
Picture

You need to log-in to post here.