Engineers?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » Engineers?

MajMadMike

MajMadMike avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 7 years ago.

Gentlemen could some one tell me if I am right in saying the Engineers part of this game is for those who have the Horizons add on? If that is the case does anyone know if there will ever be an Apple version of Horizons Mike out

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 7 years ago.

Correct it is part of Horizons.
Can we get an update on the Mac version of Horizons?

Unfortunately neither Open GL nor Metal on Mac support Compute Shaders and these are vital for Elite Dangerous: Horizons. We have investigated the issue at length and found that all other options currently simply won’t allow us the performance that a game of this size and detail needs. Once Macs are able to support compute shaders, or other technical options are available, we will certainly be keen on supporting that platform.

So it is possible there might be an update for it eventually. Sadly Apple decided that Metal (I think that is what it's called) is what it is going to support going forward. If you want to play Horizons and likely the next few seasons of Elite: Dangerous you will need a PC or use bootcamp.

MajMadMike

MajMadMike avatar
Posted 7 years ago.

Hi Sinxar I run the game on a high end iMac and with the help of bootcamp it looks (5 K screen)and runs great,however I have not seen horizons for a Mac mind you given all the negative posts on other forums/blogs I am not so sure I need it, there are still loads of things to do in Elite. Another 2 or 3 mil and my Vulture will be up and running and it will be pay back time. Thanks for the Quote I take it thats from F.D a bit short sighted if I may say so Mike out

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 7 years ago.

Well really Horizons isn't bad, it is that the expectation was too high I think. I knew what it was when I bought it and what Frontier said they were going to do with it, in other words I read up on it before making wild assumptions. So for me there were no real negatives.

MajMadMike

MajMadMike avatar
Posted 7 years ago.

Dont get me wrong Sinxar I would love to have a go at landing on a planet especially now I have read on another forum that the Devs who ever they may be have sorted the prob with engineers, to the delight of all there. Its just that choosing to move away from Microsoft in favour of a mac is good for all the other things I do with computers but good games are rare, so very glad we have E.D I love this game no matter how frustrating it can be tons to do but lots of effort can be wiped out in seconds by some mega armed pirate ect like some one said on the other forum You have to GET GOOD although he spelt it somewhat differently I think he is a countryman of yours !! Smile Beer all the best Mike out

Gomorragh

Gomorragh avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 7 years ago.

I think most of the Horizons content is still to be added, hints to it have been given in 2.1, but they have 2.2 2.3 and 2.4 planned out, and one of these is character customisation and multicrew i am guessing friends may get to play as the npc crew on our ships

Cmdr Gomorragh - Stares at players, just waiting ......
MajMadMike

MajMadMike avatar
Posted 7 years ago.

Hi Gomorragh you are probably right but I am still resisting the urge to contaminate my mac with Windows had it for eight months now not one crash, clash, HACK, dodgy email ect ect first time time ever I have had trouble free computing in 30 years Outstanding Mike out

You need to log-in to post here.