Is Tabby's Star in Elite?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » Is Tabby's Star in Elite?

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

KIC 8462852

Possible Dyson sphere/swarm (currently undergoing a dimming event so plenty of coverage in the astronomy press) recently subject to SETI investigation.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

Quick update on current observations;
The dimming occurs at ~750 days indicating an orbital distance of 1.6AU (About the same as Mars).
KIC 8462852 is an F3 type star so rather hotter than the Sun, trying to figure out habitable zone...
1.5 Solar masses, 6700K habitable zone should have a period of 1400-1500 days, (~3AU) about twice the dimming period.
2 structures on opposite sides of the star?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

While aliens would be pretty epic, i'm betting on an unusual planet formation or the most likely comet swarm. Going by the data it looks to me like a very large planet with large moons, possibly gas giants orbiting each other close to the star.

It makes more sense to me because of how erratic it is, just catching them in different positions when it transits. Would also explain the magnitude increase since it was first observed (1890 - present) as the gas would be blown off the planets creating a veil of gas that becomes thicker over time. However there is no evidence of gas clouds around the star either.

Just putting it out there, there is no evidence of aliens and Tabby's Star isn't the only one to have this behavior. It just got a lot of media after someone mentioned it on a TV show. It probably isn't aliens but still hoping it is.

We prolly won't know anything more specific about it until JWST gets into position and is ready in early 2019 so we can get some direct imaging of the system.

If you know much about astronomy, assuming it is aliens would be quite the discovery. Not only because well, its aliens but that we found them in such a small portion of the sky. It could perhaps solve the Fermi Paradox, if we spotted them in that section, if you look for that signature over the entire sky there could be thousands of Dyson Spheres and turns out we were looking for the wrong thing all along.

Fun to think about that stuff.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

The comet swarm always seemed forced...
Of course there`s the problem of no hot dust (IR)
no cold dust (sub-millimetre)
no wobble (dopler)
too old for a planetary disc (main sequence)
Definitely a weird one

Always been interested in astronomy though I studied Zoology at Uni, I'm now training as an accountant as I have bills to pay...

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

Indeed it is a weird one. I was reading the other day and someone was saying there is no evidence of the magnitude increase since 1890. The argument was the difference in instruments. However there has been a steady decline in brightness in the past four years with a single instruments data (Kepler). Can't remember where that was I read it though, maybe phys.org not sure.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

More information is coming out pointing to a huge debris cloud in elliptical orbit.

Check this one out as well. It seems to have a large amount of rare elements in its atmosphere. I agree with the video author, if our measurements are correct, it could be a civilization has launched its nuclear waste into its star. If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Fossil fuels could be very rare or even unique to earth, or they know better than to use them on the scale we do. Could be a whole host of reasons for that. However using fission to support a large population for a long period of time where other alternate fuel sources are rare or nonexistent raises the question of what to do with the waste. Sure you could bury them for a while, but eventually you will run out of space to do so.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

The super-nova hypothesis is the more likely explanation, there is evidence for this from our own Solar System.
We have 2 isotopes of Uranium, from 2 super-novas, the first is from the Sun's predecessor which a exploded around half a billion years before the formation of the Solar System and the 2nd source is from a near-by super-nova that showered the Solar System in heavy elements triggering the mass extinction at the end of the Permian, start of the Triassic Period.
This killed off 96% of all marine life, 70% of all terrestrial vertebrates and 83% of all genera.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

I can't wait until the JWST starts observing. It is an exciting time for astronomy. The fact we can even measure the spectra of stars epic win.

I hope it doesn't turn into another hubble fiasco (recall the mirror was misshapen) because I don't think we can manually service the JWST.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

Short story even shorter, they are fairly confident it is not gas and/or dust causing the long term dimming of Tabby's star but instead solid objects.

Recently there was an event that caused an uproar. I am putting both videos here. First one is the mirror hypothesis the second one is the giant planet hypothesis.

Mirror:

Planet:

The ringed planet hypothesis makes a lot of sense to me and was my original guess, although the scale is much larger than I imagined. From looking at the data it looks like a ringed planet (possibly near brown dwarf in size) with the massive ring system of rocks with other debris in the same orbit near the L points. I imagine it is similar to brown dwarfs in Elite with the huge rings of large rocks.

Whatever it is, it is interesting.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

Well they are still working on the hypothesis. They think it is a planet about 14x the size of Jupiter with rings and other orbiting bodies. Soon they won't be able to see it and the only guy who can still see it changed his measuring technique. It is all mentioned in the latest update vid.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 6 years ago.

Maybe im being a bit thick, but its way over my head to be honest. Well, at-least I get a chance to use this smiley - Dunce

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

it looks more complicated than it is. they are basically just measuring the brightness and plotting it on a graph. The measuring technique was changed because they use other stars to compare it to to get an accurate measurement. However those other stars, some turned out to be variable. Not sure what that means for the old measurements, will they have to be thrown out or adjusted? I don't know.

You need to log-in to post here.