Object identification?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » Object identification?

Droidling

Droidling avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 6 years ago.

I'm pretty new to Elite and I am taking my first trip outside the bubble. A passenger mission from Ceos to IC 1805 AV-O C6-6. Along the way I saw a cluster of stars that looked interesting. It was in front of me when I started and now appears to be behind, so I figure it can't be too far off my route. Is there any way to identify something you see from your cockpit on the galactic map?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 6 years ago.

im guessing the star cluster couldnt been far away, so when moved closer you actually jump-over them. All you can do is to look at the galaxy map and try and work out where the stars are. I know thats not much help.

Droidling

Droidling avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

Thanks. I was hoping there might be a tool.Here is a screen shot of what I was looking at. Maybe someone will recognize it. Picture

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

NGC 7822 nebula

An old screenshot of when I went out there, note my diamondback explorer has the old yellow default paintjob. So it's been quite a while ago.
Picture

Droidling

Droidling avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

Does this place have a name? It is quite distinctive. It reminded me of Amy Pond's crack in the universe.

On the subject of finding something you don't know the name of; I was thinking that if I went to a system and selected each star that I could jump to, one of them is likely to line up fairly well with the object I'm looking for. Draw a line between the star I'm on and the destination star and the object would be on that line. Do the same thing in a star system a significant distance away and I should be able to triangulate the location. That part worked fine. The problem is the Galaxy Map has no tools for drawing lines or planes. It's hard to get any kind of accuracy. Is there a coordinate system built into the game so I can calculate the location and then find it on the map?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

NGC 7822 is the name, The objects that are close enough to earth to be observed use their real names. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_7822

There is a coord system but hardly anyone I know of uses it, open the galaxy map and you can see the labeled grid. Typically though anything you can actually see is very close to you, within a 2000LY - 4000LY or so, that is a small search area.

You can target stars at any distance, say if you see something and you know the general direction you can target a star and check from the cockpit to see if it is in the right direction. Then you can line up the camera in the galaxy map to get a better idea. I know it isn't even remotely ideal but until they add something better, its all we got.

Had an accident while exploring a while back and took a screen of the distance to sol, cant see the reticle cause it is behind me i think but you can see on the side there it is 9k LY away:
Picture

Droidling

Droidling avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

NGC 7822 may be on my next exploration run. Smile That name saved me a lot of time. Plus knowing a bit about why its there makes it even more interesting. Thank you!

I had seen the grid in the Galaxy map. If that's the best we've got I'll find a way to make do.

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 5 years ago.

Thanks. I was hoping there might be a tool.Here is a screen shot of what I was looking at. Maybe someone will recognize it.
- Droidling

That's Santa's sleigh with Christmas Lights running! ;o)

You need to log-in to post here.