Finally Took The Plunge

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » Finally Took The Plunge

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 6 years ago.

Well with a price of £5 in the Christmas Steam sale, I figured why not.

First impressions generally good, but Braben's idea of a UI makes Egosoft look good! Lots of fiddling around to use my joystick rather than the gamepad and who's clever idea was it to have a comms panel where you have to hit Esc before being able to scroll along the categories.

Doing solo play at present and the money is very slow at first, at least until I figured out the comms panel and the rewards for doing the training missions and the hints to subsidized trading runs. Currently doing the first one and got the divert to Ogden Depot which led back to Potriti, with no sign of Ogden Depot on the map. Google suggests it's on a moon but they don't appear on the chart either. Guess I'm screwed, but would hate to abort the mission and lose rep plus 15k worth of credits.

$64k question too, are there any "X" references or homages anywhere in Braben's universe or is there too much rivalry between the two devs for a bit of inter-play? (I did name my Sidie "Albion Skunk", though).

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 6 years ago.

hi there,

well for £5, you got a very good deal. Elite is another of them games which has a step learning-curve (much like the x-games). Probably the worse thing to learn is landing - which is something you will need to know. Latter on the docking computer makes this a lot easier. As for the UI, its probably more getting used to it.

If the location is on a planet, you will need the horizons addon to be able to land on it. In the base game you cant land on planets. However you can play the game for awhile and see how you get on with it.

as for x-references not really, has Elite series was before the x-games. So probably the other way around.

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

I did buy Horizons but ATM had to refund as it didn't seem to take properly. The launcher didn't update to running the 2.xx version but game was generating missions (as per Ogden's Depot) which required it to be working. I was just getting error messages about unable to render the terrain.

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

What's the general view on the "Rebuy" system? Not that it's an issue for me at present in my bare bones Sidey but it appears to evoke quite a bit of emotion on some of the ED forums I've scoured. Opinions very divided. My personal view is that in Solo Play the game should simply restore the last docked save and not penalise you for loss of the ship. That would be enough to discourage save scumming without disheartening the more casual player. It doesn't encourage the player to do most normal things you might attempt in a space sim. Presumably the origins lie in FD choosing to abandon the true single player game for this "live" environment, but it means not only do you have to scrape the credits for a new ship and fittings but keep a substantial sum (on the basis you might crash the replacement ship straight after the first rebuy) in reserve.

I can only hope Ego don't adopt the same idea for X4... Smile

JupiterFlambay

JupiterFlambay avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 6 years ago.

Me too, on steam for like $7, now i'm addicted

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

@BigVern hmm.. odd. Did you have less than the minimum hardware to run Horizons? as unable to render the terrain. sounds like a hardware issue?

as for rebuy; well.. its supposed to bring an element of risk to the game, because if you dont have enough money to cover the rebuy then you will lose the ship. I did once fly a Type 9 without enough money and it was a scary thought. You will loose any cargo in either case.

as for the game modes, well I personally stay away from open - it can be too much aggro. Id advise either joining the Mobius group (if you like PvE content) or solo play. But I do feel it could be done better, although one plus from it is that the station prices are the same, so things like my trade-helper work with any game-mode.

@JupiterFlambay Good to hear commander, and a big welcome to the site Wave

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

Sorted Horizons, it wasn't clear that you *had* to add the "CD" code to your FDev account in order for it to work. Without that, half the BBS missions which send you to a planet would be useless.

I've moved up from my Sidewinder to a Viper, en route to a Cobra then hopefully something bigger.

I am enjoying it, but part of me wishes you could combine the best bits of ED and X3/X-Rebirth into one game, which would fulfill all our spacing needs for years to come. I haven't had to use rebuy (yet) but I still think it's a bit harsh in Solo Play at least, rewind to the last save should have sufficed especially if it's a passive death.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

Glad you got Horizons sorted - as it does add a fair amount of extra content to the game.

yeah, I do agree about the game. It would of been nice if you could of made mods for Elite. I do miss that from the x-games.

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

Still playing, now got a T6 freighter which I'm slowly upgrading as and when I find better modules.

Also encountered my first rebuy, said T6 having got tangled in the toastrack trying to dodge an incoming liner which somehow wrecked my thruster. Death penalty exacted by the station police, along with the rebuy and the real sting in the tail - a fine for loitering too!

IRL you would call a tow truck, not get executed for running off the road, it is a *tad* harsh!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

Indeed, its annoying when you get killed by the station; as it doesnt give you a chance of getting away. And, as you said - sometimes the station attacks you for something very minor. Thats normally why I stay away from smuggling missions, normally the reward doesnt justify the risk.

As for the Type 6, thats not a bad ship. As you find out, its not just the price of the ship but all the modules.

Gomorragh

Gomorragh avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

got blown up for blocking the letterbox the other week, because the type 10 got jammed with something else that didnt think of the fact i had entered the slot first, 16 to 20 million rebuy later had to try again, boosted this time with full pips to shields and thought stuff it if i roadkill npc's....

Cmdr Gomorragh - Stares at players, just waiting ......
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

got blown up for blocking the letterbox the other week, because the type 10 got jammed with something else that didnt think of the fact i had entered the slot first, 16 to 20 million rebuy later had to try again, boosted this time with full pips to shields and thought stuff it if i roadkill npc's....
- Gomorragh

Yeah that is super annoying. I've taken up this approach to exiting stations in the Cutter:
Picture

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

got blown up for blocking the letterbox the other week
- Gomorragh

Well, the best thing to do when you see the letterbox blocked is to just exit game and start another. Its got much worse other time since newer ships have bulky designs. I dont know why they dont make the letterbox square, since past the letterbox most stations have a large circular design where ships can easily navigate.

Picture

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 5 years ago.

''I've moved up from my Sidewinder to a Viper, en route to a Cobra then hopefully something bigger''

Don't do it! The big ships haven't the legs to cross the street if you have any luggage aboard. Sure you get to carry a far bigger stick but is it worth the CR.50 mill + outfitting costs which are often outrageously expensive. Then there's the insurance premiums which are sky high.

I've tried the more expensive hardware but keep going back to my Asp Ex, which can leap tall buildings at a single bound! ;o)

SKYDOG1

SKYDOG1 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 5 years ago.

got blown up for blocking the letterbox the other week- Gomorragh
Well, the best thing to do when you see the letterbox blocked is to just exit game and start another. Its got much worse other time since newer ships have bulky designs. I dont know why they dont make the letterbox square, since past the letterbox most stations have a large circular design where ships can easily navigate.

- Roguey

Easily navigate inside the ports Roguey? I usually end up bouncing off the walls! All praise for the docking computer for gimps like me! ;o)

You need to log-in to post here.