Gnosis Error

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » Gnosis Error

Gomorragh

Gomorragh avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 5 years ago.

Well we knew something would happen, but a 12ly misjump is just a let down, so for me this is time to walk away from the game, possibly permanently, because everytime there is an inch of narrative, it gets shut down hard .....

Cmdr Gomorragh - Stares at players, just waiting ......
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 5 years ago.

maybe im being thick, but whats Gnosis?

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 5 years ago.

roguey check the Gnosis wiki and the thread on the forum...great reading, I have been traveling and away from the game.

certainly not without it's controversy.

Gomorragh

Gomorragh avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Long and the short of it, Canonn player group set up an event in conjunction with FDev to put a megaship into a group of 3 systems that were surrounded by permit locked systems, then a major update fell where a new thargoid turned up, hotfix went out that turned these systems into permit only, then the whole thing fell apart, the players wouldnt of minded except to take part people had to travel over 400ly from the bubble to the megaship.

11k players took up the gauntlet and went, in the name of exploration and curiosity, 6 hours before the ship jumped galnet announced that not only had the megaship been interdicted, but it had only jumped 12ly not the 400ly or so expected. Also it announced it had been attacked and damaged, this was all before it actually jumped.

7am uk time there was the usual maintainance and wehn people logged in they found that galnet had told the truth, FDev at that point took it to the forums and outside of the game, where they could have made a story out of it, or even just added to the game by doing it in a different way, they took it all out of game and said "It was Canonns fault, they ignored our warnings"

We all just wished they had kept it in game, or had made something off it, or even just forced a misjump which is a lore based answer, just something not stamping thier foot and saying "No! Tough!"

Basically from that point i have not played, might pop in later today to help on a charity event but otherwise, i dont know

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 5 years ago.

That gave me a bit of a laugh. I know its not funny but, who else but FDev? I read this here for a summary as well: https://kotaku.com/elite-dangerous-players-feel-misled-after-developers-in-1828869922

the galnet posting of failure before the event, while sure people make mistakes, bugs happen, etc but really their intention to shut it down at the last minute is baffling.

its interesting that FDev allowed the event to get so far in the first place (and even promoted it weirdly enough). Really they should have just said no or make them go somewhere else from the get go and this entire thing would have been avoided.

However the question is, what if everyone was able to defend the gnosis and proceed with the plan? Where the thargoids invincible or what is up with that? I'm assuming they would have made it unwinnable regardless with infinite waves.

Anyway that is pretty low.

ed: thinking on it further, i just can't understand why they didnt make it open ended, prepare for both states and let it play out but make them do it somewhere else if those system are so important for future content. I also read the wiki page about it and they claim it was an oversight that the destination wasn't denied. either way still pretty crappy all around.

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 5 years ago.

yeah seems like a stuff up when peeps were killed on the pads being unable to take off and defend themselves.....a "few" unhappy chappies I rekon .

I was not onboard luckily but even so it seemed like a good venture gone horribly wrong.

But I am gonna hang in there as I am in the process of trying to get my new PSVR going on the PC.

Gomorragh

Gomorragh avatar
Posted 5 years ago.

Heres my thoughts, when the trip was planned the systems were open, then an update with new xeno .... oops thargoids turned up and still they were open, and fdev were happy to let the trip carry on, then a hotfix dropped,, to stop the thargoids who were not supposed to be outside of the col70 systems suddenly stopped spawning in places they were not supposed to, at the same time this is when the systems got locked.

My thoughts are that there are locks what cover certain areas of space, and these area permits are needed to expand into them or travel through them, these are being added to thargoids with each patch where they expand thier area of travel, and the open permit of those systems in the mission allowed the new thargoids to spawn everywhere.

All this meant that until the patch everything was ok with the trip, and fdev did a lot of backtracking to say that they never gave it the green light nor advertised it, been looking for the official streams where they advertised it and they seem to no longer exist ....

You need to log-in to post here.