I'm new around here

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » I'm new around here

RexRaglan

RexRaglan avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 3 years ago.

Hi peoples!
I finally got ED two weeks ago in a steam sale for a tenner including horizons.
Been gradually (and at 53 years old, slowly) learning the gameplay.
I've discovered I like mining, so I've set up my Cobra as a mining/light combat ship so I can get the odd bounty while in the RES.
It's certainly a lot different to what I played on my BBC back in 84!

mrcasual

mrcasual avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

Hi! I bought ED in July 2019. Played it for maybe an hour and gave up. Gave it another go last month and have been getting into it since.
I was introduced to Elite Frontier on the Amiga. Figured out how to mod it a bit with a hex editor. Also you could pause the game and still control the turrets if equipped. Pause, target enemy, fire and then unpause! Unfortunately the version I had they fixed the wormhole bug exploit!

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

Hi guys,

RR... if you like mining then I would suggest working toward a Python eventually.

Also with the mining you would have probably realized that the pirates go away if you wait for a bit before starting, obviously if you want to scrap with them fine!

With the age thing. say hello to a 78 year old lol

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 3 years ago.

hi there, and welcome; @RexRaglan @mrcasual @Bazr Wave

Its great to see some more people on the forum, and mix of ages. It sounds like all of you had some experience of the older Elite?

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

Hi Boss,
I will continue to support this forum whilst I am still able lol.

I date back to the time when the OS for the computer was loaded via tape recorder...so us old guys have seen quite a change from the old text adventures.

Forums such as yours are a great resource for gamers to get together and swap notes.

JayVee

JayVee avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 3 years ago.

Hi and welcome RexRaglan and mrcasual if you need any help just ask.

RexRaglan

RexRaglan avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

Thanks for the welcomes guys.
Things move on apace in this game and I've now bought a Keelback as my main mining ship, not least of all because it's easier to make money with 64t than with 16.
Just about 24 hours later and it's already paid for itself with a few sessions of tritium mining with the new mining lasers.
I was thinking about setting up a private group for those of us of more "advancing" years who may prefer a more sedate way of playing without the loneliness of Solo play.
Please let me know if you'd be up for that and I'll get it going.
I'm aware of Mobius (and I've even joined that group) but it has so many members it loses the personal touch.

Roguey:
Thank you so much for this site, it's my first port of call for information now.
Yes, myself and my friends played the original to death when we were in our teens and single.

Bazr:
They say age is just a number Commander, and whatever keeps you feeling young, you keep doing it! o7

JayVee

JayVee avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

Hi RexRaglan, I have a private group only 2 of us you would be welcome to join, U.K based Cmdr Jake Valent

RexRaglan

RexRaglan avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

@JayVee Many thanks, sent you friend & join requests.
Look forward to flying with you.

AMedievalMan

AMedievalMan avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

I’m new as well. Question: why does this site list ships as being sold somewhere when I can’t see them? Example : I looked up the chieftain. It says I can buy one at a station in Adityan, but I looked, not there.

AMedievalMan

AMedievalMan avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

The same station is supposed to sell vultures, nope, not there.
Confused

JayVee

JayVee avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

Hi AmedievalmalMan and welcome to the forum, were you looking at Rogueys guide to find a ship?

JayVee

JayVee avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

You're right ship finder shows both ships as being available at Diesel Enterprise in the Adityan system but they most definately are not and it's a long way to go to be disappointed perhaps Roguey could look into this.Did you manage to find either ship elsewhere there are systems with discounts on ship purchase

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

Hi guys..not in game atm but from memory is not that system in Odyssey ?

If so it could be a glitch with the alpha....just saying lol

JayVee

JayVee avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

I don't have Odyssey Bazr

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

ok JV...I am wrong then.....have stopped playing Odyssey because I now know how the start is going to be and will not waste my time grinding when I will lose all that work anyway when the game comes out....still think it will be a good extension and add more to our options.

You need to log-in to post here.