anyone into Odyssey ?

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » anyone into Odyssey ?

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

short foray into Odyssey Alpha and think it will be a great addition to game.
Have not ventured outside yet but looks great.

Found out you have to rebind and some commands eg."jump" do not work until you get outside.
Also at this stage my tool wheel is only half way on screen..will see what happens outside....using just mouse and keyboard atm and have not bound hotas..voice attack seems to work well.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 3 years ago.

I got it but cant play yet (normal edition) post some pics!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 3 years ago.

hi there, well ive been playing on and off - a few hours here and there. So far its been somewhat disapointing to me.

You get a mission from an NPC (gives you no idea how far/long it is before taking it on), and get a taxi. You only find out how far is it when youre stuck in the taxi (145,000ls *sigh*) - which can be upto 10+ minutes. Finally after you get there, you wonder around - with no clue what to do.

Today I worked out that I required a key-code to unlock a security locker. I did find it, unlocked the locker to find it was empty - no idea what to do now. I changed to solo and found the base wasnt powered, so all the doors where locked.

To power-up the base I think I need a tool (which I dont have) to unlock the front-doors to the power plant. So I cant do that either.

So far I havnt completed a single mission, and ive taken on 5 or 6. Maybe im just having a bad time.

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

Roguey that is par for the course.....takes most people many tries before completing a mission...think I was up to about 10 before I completed my first..just feeling my way blindly lol

If you use the terminal to get missions then on checking details there is a question mark to the right that indicates the mission in the system map so you can see how far it is..

good tip...travel down to the bottom stations so that most of the missions are only short trips.

at first only take the cheap paying missions..not combat or ones requiring a suit..eg.procuring document.data etc.

died many times running out of oxygen because I had my shield on..bad move!

Also got shot a few times trying to get back to the shuttle after completing mission.....after booking shuttle and running outside on the top bar there is an orange arrow that indicates the direction and range of shuttle (duh)

actually enjoying it now

youtube........https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tyja6yuHnBs

Sinax..graphics are great...sry dunno how to post a pic

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

well im not enjoying at all; get a mission, taxi there then die and do it again. I havnt completed a single mission - either dont have the gear (doors are just shut on me), the locker is empty or get killed from some random npc (in an empty settlement). so far its been pretty bad for me. I bet when/if you complete mission things get easier.

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

haha...well they don't !...now have the suit and the laser rifle and I must say I am still getting killed a lot.
It just means you have more choice in missions.

the youtube by that exig..? guy about how to collect materials is worth viewing...have tried it out and it works..but still getting killed lol.

Also there is a good vid on how to survive combat...basically get on the rooftops and duck a lot...take the shields out with your laser rifle then finish them off with the kinetic pistol.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

well today I managed to complete one mission - only 61,580cr. Not enough to make a real difference but atleast completed one.

I think its being hard work because we dont have access to a ship, nor our money and its such a large area (taxis are so darn slow).

Plus I think its too easy to die.

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

yeah I agree...hopefully there will be enough complaints that they will make it a bit easier on release.

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

hah..the new update give you a ship and new suit..but I rekon the missions are harder would you believe lol

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

I did get the update last night - phase 2, but didnt get much time with it. I noticed you get two ships (an sidewinder and a cobra mk3 - I think), both were in another system. It also seemed they give you some extra money - enough to buy the second suit and a few odd things. In phase 1 I couldnt complete a mission without the suit, but nor could I buy a suit cos I didnt have the money.

So last night (phase 2) I went to the bulletin board and took another mission on. At the end the power-plant blew up and killed me for no reason, I guess I pressed the wrong button or something (its not really explained well).

I find that these Odyssey missions are pretty hard to complete and very easy to mess up; combat seems extremely difficult (1 or 2 shots and youre dead - the shield seems pretty strange to me). Anyway after all that I do wonder if they payout is worth it - 200-300k isnt much over a normal mission and they are a lot easier to complete. I guess we grinding Odyssey missions for the new elite ranks - I hope they havnt locked new ships and stuff behind them (that would suck).

I dont think we know of any new ships, srvs etc.? is Odyssey just about space-legs?

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

no there are 2 new srv's..one with 1 gun other with 2 and they look pretty cool !

you probably know but just in case, but the repower station mission is to put the thing they give you into the indicated machine and then press the lighted panel to restart...putting out the fire is finding the atmospheric panel.
I found you die real quick if you go close to any fire !....also even though the mission is supposed to be zero threat I have been killed by scavenger coming out of nowhere lol.

Sinax wanted a screenshot .do you know how to post one ?

here is a short youtube..............

[update] youtube tags added, Roguey

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 3 years ago.

Fire does kill you in an instant, not sure why its so strong. You only have to touch it and your dead.

Two more SRV's will be interesting, I feel its been a long time coming to be honest. Why we had one SRV for so long is crazy.

Not sure about you, but been playing it on/off for a week or so; although it doesnt seem all that intresting. I was having a look on youtube, some of the guys there were scanning plants. I thought that doesnt seem very interesting. What happened to the starship battles? new stuff to explore? new ships? yet, we getting the option of scanning plants? hmm

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 3 years ago.

thats fine with me i will just have to remember to wear my best dress when i am scanning the flowers lol

still having heaps of trouble surviving....I suck at odyssey it seems

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 2 years ago.

bit more down the track now.....
have been more into Odyssey and getting used to it.....basically like it with reservations.
Worst is the total grind to upgrade suits, weapons and mods...think it is worse than the horizons grind for stuff.

good fun is the on foot conflict, especially with other players

missions need to be selected carefully and these can give game variation viz..getting mats for upgrading, getting mats for unlocking engineers etc

Overall if you are after making cash then Horizons is better I think.

still has a few bugs to be ironed out.

I will state however I am still at basic level and not tried all the ingame options yet.

Bazr

Bazr avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 2 years ago.

still further down the track now...anyone else playing Odyssey ?

Have grade 5 Maverick suit with extra backpack option,jump assist and quick shield regeneration.
grade 4 Dominator suit with extra ammo and quick shield regeneration.

grade 5 kinetic pistol and grade 4 AR 50 rifle (great combo)

On foot combat Zones are great fun with others, or even solo.

missions I choose between own ship and shuttle..with own ship if you get to a settlement that has good mats then get back in ship and with throttle off go into supercruise and boost.....after entering sc just pop out again and then fly back to settlement which will now be resupplied to collect more mats...rinse and repeat...nb. if you want to take a break do not leave your ship on pad..good chance a prick will blow it up whilst you are on the toilet lol.

Anyho that is my little report for what it is worth.

cheers

spiceagent11

spiceagent11 avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 2 years ago.

You get a mission from an NPC (gives you no idea how far/long it is before taking it on), and get a taxi. You only find out how far is it when youre stuck in the taxi (145,000ls *sigh*) - which can be upto 10+ minutes. Finally after you get there, you wonder around - with no clue what to do.

You need to log-in to post here.