Animation linked to ship jumping

Home Board Index » X3AP » Scripts and Modding » Animation linked to ship jumping

RobertSchafer

RobertSchafer avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hey,

I have another question i hope someone has an answer to. I know the animations linked to ships are rather limited with the xuniverse game engine, however i was wondering whether it would somehow be possible to link an animation to a ship during the countdown before it jumps? Whether it would actually be worth doing is another question entirely, im just interested whether it could be done. Again this is for the x3ap battlestar galactica mod, the idea is to animate the flight pods of the galactica to secure themselves against the hull when the ships jumps and for them to re-deploy when the ship reappears. The ships would be vulnerable for a short period of time adding another strategic element to the game (although this would probably have to be another script).

So to recap, is it possible to link such an animation to a ship just before it jumps and when it reappears?

thanks for reading,

Robert Schafer (MilesRS)

---- X3ap Battlestar Galactica mod ----
Latest update: 06/01/2014.
Team recruitment: Texture artist
Mod updater/downloader via our website:
www.x-battlestar.com
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

hmmm.. well I dont really know off-hand. Looking through the files may take awhile however I do know the game has have a jumpdrive initialize effect. I would of thought the effect is defined in types\effect somewhere. Maybe this is the entry:

46;1;0;0;1.0; // Effect ship hyper dimension tunneling

RobertSchafer

RobertSchafer avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Cheers for the reply, great your always on hand to answer peoples questions!!

I did notice that, but i thought that was referring to the warp tunnel animation you see if you go through a gate? (providing warp tunnel has been switched on in game).

Ile have a closer look at it, but if you find anything else let me know! Wink

www.x-battlestar.com
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Hmmm.. Im not sure, you could be right.

I am not sure how the jump-drive effect is called, or even defined. Normally effects are defined in effects.txt, then on the item. ie. when a bullet is fired, its in tlasers as launch effect. However the jump-drive is a bit of an unknown for me. Sorry I cant be more of a help.

RobertSchafer

RobertSchafer avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Yea i thought that to, ile have another look through effects.txt tonight. No problem its already a help just knowing im on the sort of right track haha.

If any one else knows something your welcome to butt in Wink

www.x-battlestar.com
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

It could be one of them things which are hard-coded, as sometimes you spend ages looking for something yet to find no reference to it. So just keep that in-mind encase, I found that happen a few times.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

I really like the concept of what you're trying to do Robert, the idea of Galactica's pods retracting as part of the jump countdown is awesome! I wonder if it would be possible to change the jump effect so that it mimics the FTL drives used in the show, seemingly coming from either end of the ship towards the middle, instead of the default bright white/purple flash that Ego use Wink I find myself increasingly tempted to d/l the Galactica mod Big grin

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
RobertSchafer

RobertSchafer avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

@roguey: yea im worried it may be :S havent looked so far but will do now!
@ kirlack: cheers for replying, changing the actual jump effect i think should be possible, havent looked into it but that is a good idea! haha well your welcome to download it, see my signature for details.

I am currently still working on my first addition to the game in the form of a large update, this will include most ships replaced with more detailed models and improved textures, new weapons, new effects, weapon balancing, cylons basestars restricted to missiles only and various other things Smile. Due to currently primarily being the only one doing the work, the other members are busy real life wise, its taking longer than expected, but should be completed very soon. Your more than welcome to download the version currently available!

thanks,

MilesRS

www.x-battlestar.com
RobertSchafer

RobertSchafer avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

according to another source of mine who extensively tested this, its not possible Cry so thats a petty, ahhhh well

www.x-battlestar.com
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

thats a shame, although I was kind-of thinking that might the case unfortunately Sad

You need to log-in to post here.