Galaxy Map design

Home Board Index » X3AP » Scripts and Modding » Galaxy Map design

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

Does anyone know how to edit the galaxy map?

I just want to improve its look (appearance). Yeah its not a major thing but since the galaxy map represents the whole x-universe (hence the whole game Wink), so improving/enhancing its look would be nice. If anyone could help? thanks. Smile

ps. I've searched the egosoft forum but didn't find any mods other than old ones that aren't compatible with the latest X3 AP.

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Well not totally sure what you are trying to do:

1, If you want to edit the map, ie. change sectors, add planets/suns etc. then you will need to edit universe.xml file(s),

2, However if you want to edit how the map is displayed (in-game map), then youre need to edit objects\cut\00749.bod.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Yes I'm talking about the 2nd case, I want to edit how the map is displayed (the galaxy map, not the sector map). You said I need to edit "objects\cut\00749.bod", I can't find those folders nor any bod files! Confused

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

You will need to extract all the files from the dat/cats, then you should find the file.

I remmeber using Northstars X3 Modding for Beginners (a pdf) to help with editing the universe - so hopefully that will help you too.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

A big thanks, your help is much appreciated! Smile

I thought it would be easier. I just wanted to edit the coordinates of the sector icons (and sector links) on the galaxy map, no need to add or remove sectors from the map - just edit coordinates for the existing ones. How to do this the easiest way?

Thanks again! Smile

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

OK, so I installed the 'X3 Editor 2' which is the new version of the 'ModManager', do I need the Galaxy Editor included with the ModManager or what tool is used for editing bod files?

ps. If you want to move this thread to the "X3AP, Scripts and Modding" section, as you wish. Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

X3Editor2 does not come with a universe map editor, and isnt ModManager,
X3Editor1 does have a universe editor, but you could use the in-game editor too (which also you to see your creation real-time),
ModManager is a bit like winzip, allowing you to open dat's and extract all, or to create ones (for new mods),

ps. the thread has already been moved :p

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I would like to thank you again for pointing out the ModManager/X3Editor to me, its indeed a very useful tool and the X3Editor2 also has several useful plugins for editing, just what I wanted. Nod

And I have a question: I want to edit a file, say TShips, but the same file exists in several cat/dat-s, which one should I edit (in which cat/dat)?

Also, can I edit the files directly? or do I have to extract first..., edit... then compress again the whole cat/dat?

ps. The X3Editor2 can extract, compress and more. :p

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I wouldnt recommending editing the dat files directly, encase you make a mistake or write to the wrong dat file (ie. the official ones). If you do decide to release a mod, then you cant test it with an vanilla game.

I know X3Editor2 can compress, extract, edit files. however I gotten used to using ModManager to extract and compress the file, then one of the editors to change the file. I think in the past the editors didnt have a very good track-record.

oh, and has for which version of the file to use. This is why I said about extracting the dats to another folder. Start with 01, then go through to the last one. As you do it, replace any matching files. This will mean you will be left with the most up-to-date version of the file. The game uses last 'copy' of the file.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Yeah I knew that and you confirmed it to me, I wanted to be sure of what I'm doing so as not to do anything wrong, you know.

OK so what about the other cats/dats in the game root folder, should I work only on the ones in the addon folder and ignore those in the root folder or what? Roll eyes

You need to log-in to post here.