Planetarion: Under New Management!

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Planetarion: Under New Management!

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

So, some of you might have heard me mention that I used to play an online browser based game called Planetarion. Well, my wife recently convinced me to get back into it, and the game has now come under the direct control of the guys who run it (some of whom I have known for 10 years Big grin ).

The game bills itself as 'the original spaced based MMO', and since it started in the winter of 1999 I think it might even be truth Wink There's a fun community (plenty of pillocks too, but that's life eh? Wink ). It's free to play (with an optional upgrade payment). Anyone who's even remotely interested should check it out here.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

@Kirlack............ Free sounds good, but when I clicked on the link it didn't seem that straightforward,(Have attempted to register) please advise!

P.S. In AP ......... I have just jumped into a Xenon sector (596) in a totally invisible Cobra,(From inside or from E.V.A.) tried all sorts of stuff to be able to see the ship ......to no avail. The X-Universe ........ something new every day! 'Spose I'll reload when the novelty wears off.

I am an Alien!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Yea I found the same thing as you alpha; lots of text but very few pictures. It would be nice to know what the game looks like 'n that, before having to register.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

It ah...it is kind of a complex game, trying to explain it someone who's never played it is tricky Wink You could liken it to an MMO kind of X, you mine resources, research technologies, build fleets and attack your enemies Smile

The game is split down into rounds, each round lasts 7 weeks (approx). Each player is the 'ruler' of a planet, and planets are grouped together into galaxies, galaxies are then further grouped into clusters. There are also in game alliances (clans) who get bonuses to defence fleet travel time etc.

Now, as for pictures....

There aren't any. The whole game is text based (it is old :p ), but that doesn't detract from the fun. I say that as someone who has played it since the very first rounds though, so if the thought of no piccies puts you off, I totally understand Wink All that said, with the game now in the right hands, I expect there will be changes Smile

@Alpha: there's a quick start up guide in the game manual that might help, or you can use the in game com unit (IRC chat client) to ask any of the many, many players what's what. I could explain it here, but 1) it'd take ages and 2) if you're not right there sorting through it it's easy to miss details lol.

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

@ Kirlack ..A)Thanks B)Either I didn't register properly, or I'm still awaiting password confirmation.C) Have sent message requesting support/advice.D)Have read the in game manual. E) Are you on the site as Kirlack, as it tells me that K hasn't done anything since 2008?

P.S. Having read 'Start-up Guide,' 'Overview,' and a few others this is reminiscent of an old game called 'Pax Imperia Eminent Domain,' by THQ for Win 95/98.

I am an Alien!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I'm on IRC as Kirlack, but my in game ruler name changes from round to round (stops people working out which planet is me early on :p ).

If you open the com unit and join the default chat channel (#planetarion), you'll often see my nick somewhere in the list on the left Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

I'm on IRC as Kirlack, but my in game ruler name changes from round to round (stops people working out which planet is me early on ).
- Kirlack

hmm.. so I guess there's no web-irc client on the site? sometimes they are helpful to people who dont want to download an IRC client.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

There is, the in game com unit is a java applet IRC client. It's not great, but it does the job Smile

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

@Kirlack.......... I had just about despaired of getting an answer from them, but log in password was rec'd and activated today. I gave it about 40 minutes (No ****** idea of what I'm doing yet) Time will tell. Confused
P.S. Any obvious tips on how to stay alive while learning?
P.P.S. Still alive 'cos I'm still too weak to be attacked (I think) Bomb

I am an Alien!
AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

@ Kirlack.... Still bumbling along... there seems to be a lot of activity, and some huge alliances. Having read the posts in their forums, it seems that one of the most worrying things is the t*****s you might ally with!

I am an Alien!
AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

RandomTank, Wave
I would like to encourage you to check this out as the next round starts this week!(Friday 20:00 GMT)
I've found it absorbing and fun, and there are as Kirlack points out plenty of helpful people who will suggest better ways to get started etc.,(And the obvious dose of Trolls and Muppets you get with anything on line.) It is strategically demanding and is crying out for new players with gaming skills. As you have been unfit for carrying on with the Comm Save you might be in a position to do Planetarion as it is not about mouse/joystick control!
Have fun,
AlphanInfidel

I am an Alien!
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Yeah I was thinking about trying it, text-based games haven't always been my sort of thing, but I'll definitely give it a go! I had a nasty bout of swelling in my arm last week that prevented me from finishing the Com-Save off (I had to have another new cast!), but I managed to blitz it over the weekend, and I'll adjust a few things tonight, but I'll be ready to pass it on to you! (About a month or 2 late... Cry)

Thank you very much for the suggestion though, it's very thoughtful of you! Big grin Big grin

I will be the one to take you down!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Yeah Random, would be great if you came to play! Big grin I'm available most days to walk you through things Big grin

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Cool, thanks! I can probably play it tonight then!

Last Com-Save blog is up btw, have a read!
Big grin Big grin Big grin

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

The current round is in sign up stage at the moment, the round won't actually start until friday evening Smile

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Yeah I've signed up now, looks fun but of course I don't get most of it...

Can't wait till friday!

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.