A might be gone for a few days...

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » A might be gone for a few days...

jacer08

jacer08 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 12 years ago.

i'm torn right now between dropping like $1200 on a new, top of the line, laptop, or just building a custom PC. i've never built a PC before so it's a bit intimidating. i don't want to buy a bunch of parts that i think are awsome, and then put it all together to find out that nothing is compatable, or i messed it all up.

i deffinatly need to upgrade for rebirth, and for Xcom when it comes out.

in eternity, forever lasts but an instant.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I was in the same situation as you. I decided to build a pc now because AMD bulldozer was delayed and think that a good pc now should last awhile (my old pc - which is still running most games) was 6 years old. So I know it should go the distance.

Building your own pc is the best way, as you can select each component as you want. However I understand its not for everyone and can be very confusing at first. Once you get past the first build, its much easier. Ive probably done 4 or 5 now.. maybe more. Its the most rewarding and you get the best pc you can for your buck.

I wouldnt really recommend a laptop if your thinking about playing rebirth - whilst they may have a good amount of memory and cpu power, they often dont compare in GPU (graphic card) power. I should run that benchmark on Winky's netbook and post the video. Its a Intel dual core @ 1.3, 4Gb system.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

well.. another problem has happened - my router has died. So this means all the pc's are not on the net now until a new router is brought or if I can reconfigure windows to work without a DHCP server (however my PC isnt the only one on the internet). I did try and give it ago eariler, but windows wasnt liking it. My old PS3 however works without the router - its getting used too much of a back-up atm!

So for now, I only have my PS3 on the net. Hopefully with PS3 I can find out how to adjust windows, as it will be a lot easier to work out which router to get on the PC. The router has been messing around for awhile now - so its not really surprise that it went wrong. It may take me a few days to work out which router is the one to go for - especially on the PS3!

oh well...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Over the weekend I managed to do some research into the router - in the end I did get the PC on the net, however I could only get one device at a time on the net. I ended you getting a Linksys WRT54GL, as it got replaceable software, which can do more (like monitor things etc.). I have changed the software from its default to Tomato, as I wanted more options and usage charts/graphs.

Picture

I dont use the wireless part - although there wasnt much choice, seems to be get a wireless router or a very basic wired router. It seems wired routers arent really supported any-more Cry

Anyway, means im back on the internet once again. Ive been off the net awhile over the past weeks: first the pc, now the router.

« 1 2

You need to log-in to post here.