Beginner questions

Home Board Index » X4: Foundations » Beginner questions

golemsena

golemsena avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 2 years ago.

Hello there, I'm new to X4 and have some questions. Currently, I played the tutorials and started a first game.. playing around.

a) I kind of struggle with strafing keys W and S. It confuses me all the time because I try to use them like a regular WASD movement based game. Would it make sense to switch W and S with X and Y (IMO thats accelerate and deaccelerate) or is strafing not that much used later?
https://showbox.tools/ https://speedtest.vet/
b) Are there any QoL Mods which I should install at the beginning (maybe because they are save game breaking) or is it safe to get Mods later?

c) same for DLCs Smile (I heard Cradle of Humanity should have a good start for new players)

SpaceWizard

SpaceWizard avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 2 years ago.

Well - a bit late:

Strafe keys: You can roll with Q and E, and strafe with A and D. I changed this to roll with A and D and strafe with Q and E. The reason is, coming from Elite Dangerous rolling the ship was important, and in X4 it is not so extreme, but still necessary to roll if you use Combat Engines.

For accelerate and decelerate I use the mouse wheel.

Mods: I am using mods sparely, now. But I recommend to play the game vanilla for a while, because after having it played vanilla you will know which mods you want to use. Modding it before that, has the disadvantage that you may overlook something important. This is also true for QoL mods, there are some, but many also change the mechanics of the game a bit.

DLC: IMHO you need them all! You will often see or read content in Youtube or on the official forums which is only valid for owners of all DLCs. It may seem a bit expensive, but they now have a bundle (Game and all 3 DLCs). I recommend to buy them all, they are worth it:

Split DLC has new ships and new story missions and a new game start.
Terran DLC (Cradle of Humanity) has a very good new game start with tutorial character, and a lot of new things and sectors.
Pirate DLC (Tides of Avarice) adds two new game starts, and several new ships, and new sectors.

Have fun with X4 Foundations!

You need to log-in to post here.