Good to meet you all.

Home Board Index » Introduce yourself » Good to meet you all.

Navarchos

Navarchos avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

Watup, I'm Mike. Just picked up R TC and AP. Spent some time learning the basics on Reunion. (so much time..)

But I got it, and moved straight to AP (not too hung up on missing the plot of R/TC -- more about the sandbox). My current game is inspired by Game of Thrones' Iron Islands. I'm trying to stick exclusively to paying the iron price (piracy) for build up. Right now I'm reaving the borderlands of Boron Argon and pirate space.

Some questions though,

is it possible to salvage mercs?
(or possible to get them in some way that does not require docking at a station)
(or cheating)

Also I know ammo and supply is going to be difficult without paying the gold price, but do you all think it will be too difficult to be playable?

so far I've prized 1 other buster but I'm not getting any equipment reaving, and I'm killing everything I can (it was my intention to be more selective with my reaving) but even so still getting no equipment, it is looking like I will need to compromise and pay the gold price.

disappointing

Also, my capture ratio is very low. I've been experimenting with demanding surrender over comms (to no effect). Going to experiment with my energy reserve level and engagement time (bringing them down to critical quickly Versus slowly carefully working them down to, and then keeping them at critical).

I'm thinking this is just going to turn into breaking 11 eggs out of the dozen just to get the one. Lacks method and its mindless but I'm pretty sure once I get to boarding the piracy experience will even out to be more methodical and rewarding.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

A warm welcome Navarchos. Smile
Side note: You can always edit your original posts. Nod

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

hey Navarchos, welcome to the site Wave

as tiger said, you dont need to keep bumping posts, just edit and add additional content.

is it possible to salvage mercs?

Well, as far as I know the only two ways to get marines (without buying them) is either when you capture a ship (from boarding) or when you buy a ship (like a M6) from a person. Sometimes you can get some good marines this way.

I've been experimenting with demanding surrender over comms (to no effect).

You can try that as much as you like, it wont do anything.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

Too difficult to be playable? Perhaps. Depends on how good you are at the game really. Even playing a pirate it is a good idea to be friendly with at least one race (usually Teladi). As you have found out, when pilots bail they rarely leave behind any gear, so you will usually have to buy it somewhere. IIRC I read somewhere that this was nerfed very early in X3 Reunion (or maybe even before) because it was far too profitable.

To get people to bail is almost 100% random except for a few things. Using certain weapons reduces the chances, and having a high fight rank increases the chances. Some weapons are better than others, but they don't technically increase the chance. Some like the PBE is very good for this due to the extreme rate of fire and minimal hull damage. Ion Disruptors reduces the chance a pilot will bail by a huge amount. There has been some speculation that taking the target shield down as fast as possible helps, but there is no real evidence of this.

When you comm the target and tell them to surrender, this is to make them drop their freight. Only useful when stealing their stuff and it never works on fighters.

It would be worth your time to do some research into the game mechanics to give yourself the best possible chance at doing well as a pirate.

Navarchos

Navarchos avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Thank you for the welcome.

Moved on to the Terran Campaign start. Bounced off a Capital Ship coming through the warp gate as I was leaving the starting sector. Decided to play something else.

The pirate game ended in frustration. I picked up 2 more M5s but I ended up splitting my guns between me and one other wingman which improved energy economy on both ships (a solid move) -- Then I started hitting high tech weapons transports demanding they drop their cargo. at about zero for 3 I lost interest. Killed the first 2 and the 3rd had a Teladi fleet warp in and kill my whole squadron.

This game is brutal.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

A pirate start isnt for newcomers, as you will make a lot of hostile friends. If youre playing with M5's, then you are playing with the weakest ships in the game (so it will be hard). I suggest the first goal would be to get a M3, probably from missile bailing. As this would make things lot easier.

Although as Sinxar said, you will need to keep one race friendly for supplies and selling of equipment. Maybe this might be another way of getting your M3. You could always build yourself up, then turn into a pirate (with a better ship).

Navarchos

Navarchos avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Playing the terran start now -- much easier game -- My biggest concern is that the terran commander will interrupt my SETA while I'm outside smoking.

also in-warping capital ships

----------------

Will work on the absolutist outlaw playthrough later. (its a good challenge)

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

You can disable war reports in the game options. Thinking it is under "gameplay" maybe.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Probably easier to show you how to toggle them;

Navarchos

Navarchos avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

awesome, that helps. thanks

another useful tool in that menu, the targetting priorities for turrets.

You need to log-in to post here.