Hello and thanks!

Home Board Index » Introduce yourself » Hello and thanks!

Spooner

Spooner avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 5 years ago.

Hi Roguey and team,

Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome amount of info on the site. It's helped me a lot recently.

I've gone back to playing X3AP in the last month or so after being a bit underwhelmed by X4. X4 will get better in time I'm sure, but for now I've parked it until the bugs are ironed out and there's more content added.

I've been a gamer since the early 80's, starting on an Atari 2600, so I'm oooold. As for the X games, I've been playing since the very first XBTF, back in 99. I skipped X2, so must go back to starting that at some point. X3R really grabbed me, X3TC grabbed me to the point of building 95 chip plants, capturing a #deca, and lots of other achievements.

But X3AP, this has really taken me in this time... I've completed the Argon plot, the PHQ plot, the Hub plot. I've gotten good relations with all the races, well, except for the Paranid, as I nicked 2 Hyperion Vanguards from them this week. They've also got 3 eyes, and bad attitudes. I'm tailing an Agamemnon at the moment, and will car-jack it when it goes into a pirate sector. :p So I've still got Shady Business and Corporation Troubles to complete, but I want to try and cap a Valhalla before I end the war.

I see there's a lot of interest in Elite on this board. Well I backed that when it was on Kickstarter, and went to the launch party at Duxford.

Anyway, IRL, I'm a Windows Server Hosting/Cloud engineer by day, I live in Switzerland (ex-pat from the UK) - and I love the Swiss attitude to firearms, so I do a lot of shooting.
Sniper

Kepler

Kepler avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 5 years ago.

Hello. X3 is such a great game. I've been using Roguey's site for 4 years, it's amazing at sharing people's thought about this ship and general performance comparison.

I'm quite sad due to x3wiki's death. Don't know when but it was another great site just like Roguey's. Because when Roguey's just gives you numeric statistics, x3wiki had detailed explanation on how to drive this ship. It was two major X3 info sites.

About X4... I decided to wait. It certainly does not worth 55$ price. And I'm pretty okay with X3.

Spooner

Spooner avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 5 years ago.

You know if you search google for the "Wayback Machine" - It has pretty much all of x3wiki snapshotted.

;)

I'm quite sad due to x3wiki's death. Don't know when but it was another great site just like Roguey's. Because when Roguey's just gives you numeric statistics, x3wiki had detailed explanation on how to drive this ship. It was two major X3 info sites.
- Kepler

Spooner

Spooner avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 5 years ago.

Anyone know how to reveal the Steam cheevo sync button ?

I've linked my account, but don't see the button. Confused

How to add/update your Steam achievements
The first thing you need to do is have an account, if not already you can create one here,
Once you have a account, log-in, then link your account with Steam. This is done in Update profile,
When you have linked your account with Steam, come back to this page, refresh and click sync at the top right,
Please make sure your profile and game details are made public. This can be done in Steam's profile's privacy settings,

Kepler

Kepler avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 5 years ago.

WOW, It shows everything existed before! Thank you, and thank you again man!!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 5 years ago.

hi there, welcome to the site. Wave

I personally never had a Atari 2600, although I started on a BBC Micro - we did get a Master but it had a lot of problems (that was later on). I remember going to Watford for some chips for the BBC - I think they were for floppy disc drives - a long time ago (im old too).

X2 was a major advancement in the series, one you should check-out!

I would agree waiting for X4 isnt a bad idea - its not a bad game just that after the building up of the fleet, is a bit lacking on end-game content. Hopefully this something Egosoft will address, along side some improvments (like the GUI).

Its sad to hear another x site disappearing - there isnt many of them to left now. My site hasnt got any plans of disappearing any-time soon btw. Any ideas why the site went?

Are you still having problems sync'ing your steam achievements? let me know.

Spooner

Spooner avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 5 years ago.

Hey Roguey,

I used to use a BBC B at school, starting some time around 1982. That's what got me into Elite. I'd play it with my mate at the time, as we didnt have the luxury of a joystick for the Beeb back then, so it was a bit easier with 2 people at the controls. Big grin

I totally forgot to mention X-Rebirth in my first post. I'd almost erased it from memory! What a shambles. Even visiting it again only last year, I still can't get on with it. Uninstalled it. Will never go back to that.

As for Steam cheevs, they're not working for me for some reason. I've signed into Steam through the link, I've checked that my profile is set to public, which I believe it is at:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/spooner_uk

or

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970413869

...But when I go back to my forum profile page here, it just says "user hasn't linked their profile (or somesuch.)

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 5 years ago.

hi there, after having a look at the Steam link code it seemed that the address for validating the login needed to be changed from http: to https: - hopefully now it should work correctly.

as for the BBC I did not play Elite on it, but we had one at home (my dad was into computers). However I couldnt get on it much, as he was playing on it a lot of the time (mostly Elite I think).

Myself, I played Elite on the PC later, where we were spoiled with solid polygon ships (I think that was on a 386DX33?). However I did spend a lot more time on Elite 2 and First Encounters. I remember people saying First Encounters was very buggy, but played it a bit later and it didnt seem that bad.

As for Rebirth, some people enjoyed it but I personally didnt much. X4 does seem better but needs more work.

Spooner

Spooner avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 5 years ago.

Thanks Roguey, Steam linking now works Big grin

I remember buying Elite 2 (Frontier) from Virgin Megastore on Oxford St, back in about 1995 I think. I just remember hauling Robots, Computers and Luxury Goods between Barnards Star, Sol and Ross 128 to make loads of cash.

Elite 3 did have a few bugs, one of them I remember was a leak in video memory that used to get me. If you looked at certain planets from the wrong angle, I used to get dumped out to DOS with a memory error. That was patched out later if I remember.

You need to log-in to post here.