[Suggestion] - Site crossover links

Home Board Index » Website problems or errors » [Suggestion] - Site crossover links

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Not sure if that what it would even be called.

Anyway while browsing around the TC and AP site I noticed there is no easy way to navigate between the two. Such as browsing the TC ships and you want to see AP ones, you have to click on "Main Site" -> "X-Universe" -> X3:AP -> "Help" -> "Ships".

My suggestion is to somehow implement links to the other sites for ease of use or have a unified navigation bar for all sites. So while your looking at TC ships and you decide to drool over AP ones, you could simply click on a link somewhere that would make sense to view ships from AP or any other X game for that matter.

Or simply make a menu item that has the site links to all sites available at all times without having to go back to the main page every time.

Oh and off topic but not worth making a new thread for. The first post in a thread isn't quotable it seems. The quote icon simply isn't there.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

There are already links to all the other sites at the bottom of the page, if that's what you mean.
As for the quote icon, I do see the button when I want to create a new thread, it's seems fine from my end.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

crossover links can be both a good and a bad thing, as tried to develop the site(s) as friendly as possible.

Take for instant: a person searches google for X3AP ships. My site comes up, and they go into it. Now if they want station info, they just click stations and they are there (same game). This stops the user switching to another game easily (ie. the user has to manually switch between sites). However I do know that people want to switch between sites, so I have placed links at the bottom of every page. This also helps google navigate around the site too, spread the link juice around (after-all the site is one large site now, rather than a load of small ones (with the removal of sub-domains)).

If many people want this crossover switching ill look into it - probably will be with a pull-down.

as for quotes, the first message in a thread is the topic and not a reply. The little button on the thread is for replies, however you should be able to quote when inside the reply editor.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

There are already links to all the other sites at the bottom of the page, if that's what you mean.
- The White tiger

haha i didnt even see that.

Ok I took a screenshot of the quote issue. notice the first post has no quote icon, but the second and third does. This is on all threads. Even threads with a single post.

I don't understand what is meant by topic and replies and how that relates to quotability. When people ask questions but instead of being able to quote by pressing a button you have to manually setup the formatting. Unless i'm the only one who quotes parts of post to answer the questions? The first post in a thread isn't available to be quoted while in the reply editor.

Its just a small usability issue. no big deal if you guys just want to leave it be. Just bringing it up because its sorta confusing, would be even more so to somebody new to the site.

Picture

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

I don't understand what is meant by topic and replies and how that relates to quotability.
- Sinxar

Ah, well when I created the forum, I made it work around two tables: topics and replies. ie. A person creates a thread about something, eg. "How do I do...", then people would reply. Each table holds peoples text, the thread being the initial question, whilst reply table contains people replies.

The quote button only sends a number to the reply page (an ID). I can not use this id for both threads and replies, because there are two tables (each starting at 1). How would the code know if you were quoting from thread id 1, or reply id 1? Since there are a lot more replies than threads, I presume the number is a reply id (usually people quote others replies).

I hope that explains it.

You need to log-in to post here.