Terraria!!

Home Board Index » Steam » Terraria!!

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

ya thats what I mean except I didn't feel like making that detailed =P. What do you think of that idea though? With some subtle lighting I think it would be different at least. I havent seen anybody post anything like it on any forums or reddits I visit.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

yea, that could work. the only thing I think you may need to add is like a wooden bridge, so you dont just float past the houses. As I could imagine floating pass them otherwise.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

With Neptune's Shell you can swim and breathe in water. The main problem I think would be the corruption/crimson taking over the place eventually unless it was boxed in somehow. That is always what prevents me from making underground houses. Was just thinking you could do something similar except with lava and use teleporters to get around in it, the ultimate in home security.

Here is a giant image of my world. I couldn't find the underground hallow until I mapped it. Looks like this world will be mostly crimson when I finish playing it. The hallow was cut off by the jungle.

This is my current wizard character world - Medium map size: Utopia
Picture

Here is my LP world - Large map size: Sanctuary
Picture

WOOT! After a lot of searching I found a map of my old world. Played this map so long it is almost entirely Hallow/Corrupt. I miss this map wish I would have kept a backup but it was getting overworked.

Large map size: Old Sanctuary
Picture

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Lava and teleporters? sounds like a good good security system Smile Although I havnt even got the NPC who sells them yet. Cry .. Can monsters drown? hmmm

for me, the past few days in Terraria have been driving me up the wall; ever since I triggered hard-mode the game hasnt been much fun. I have died 100's of times now without finding anything worthwhile. Wyvern's have probably been the worse enemy, doing around 50-60 per hit, and killing me within 10 seconds. I got the point of just letting them kill me now - as there is no way I can kill them. However wyvern's arent the only problem, most of the monsters kill me very quickly. I guess the only way of finding better stuff is by digging up the new ore, but I cant cos my pickaxe isnt powerful enough.

So ive been looking for some Copper, Iron and Cobalt, yet my world hasnt got any at all! Ive tried to break those daemon statues looking for Cobalt, and yet nothing. So I checked with the mapping tool:

Picture

So I deicided to build another house to the far left (so when I die I dont have to spend 10mins getting to the same point). I guess ill have to build another house further left too. Although these houses will be much smaller than the one on the right;

The start of the new house;
Picture

Thanks for posting the world maps, as I see they are very useful. I guess it would take way too long to find things otherwise. Funny how the ice sections in Utopia and Sanctuary are similar. I guess if I do get the NPC for teleports, then those two houses are too far?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

Yay you finally got out of the tutorial! Watchout for eclipses!

I wish monsters drowned. I find it really annoying they don't. Don't worry, it gets MUCH easier once you get your first new weapon/armor set. So do you have Cobalt or did you get Palladium? Your molten pickaxe can dig those. You need to go get that and make a pickaxe or drill out of it to mine the others. If you find a lot of it you can make a set of armor and some weapons (requires a Hellforge).

Next you need to get Mythril or Orichalcum (whichever spawned) and make an anvil then go down to the lava layer and grab a bunch of the other ore, adamantite or titanium. You use the raw ore + a hellforge to craft the new furnace so you can smelt adamantite/titanium into ingots. If you want you can craft a set of armor and tools out of that to help with your first boss kill.

You may have already figured that out, if so just disregard.

You might as well get rid of all but the strongest weapons you have. The Nights Edge is viable for early game melee and the Demon Scythe is good for wizards (also the laser rifle). If you are playing a ranger type, the clockwork assault rifle works until you can get the megashark or one of the repeaters.

A set of wings makes the game much easier too and is one of the things you will want to do early. If you find a feather it makes the task much easier. If not you can do it the old fashioned way (angel or demon wings) but going into the underground crimson/hallow is very dangerous early on. http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Wings

You might want to figure out what type of character you want to play, melee, magic or ranged. It is technically possible to do all 3 but it makes your DPS suffer because of the mix of accessories. Melee is a good choice but ranged helps a lot vs bosses since they don't exactly stand still for you to hit them.

When playing a melee char, I generally try to get things that increase melee speed (ie feral claws, warrior emblem etc) and reforge them with +defense or +damage. And the melee helmet gives the highest defense for that armor set. Since you only have to change the helm to change the set bonus, you can make the ranged helmet and keep a set of backup accessories for long range boss killing. Magic is a strange thing in Terraria. It almost seems like they don't want you to be a wizard. like to make a hardmode spell you have to find the wizard first to buy a book from him then collect a lot of materials from dangerous areas to create the spell. I've never tried to play a pure ranger yet, but maybe next time.

Once you kill the destroyer a few times you can make the hallowed armor set and some good weapons and tools. The hallowed sword is still really good as it is fully auto like the Muramasa. And is needed to craft the Terra blade (now the highest dps sword in the game). Hallowed armor is no longer the best armor but it is still very good.

Enough rambling about that as I am sure you figured that stuff out by now. Just remember though that anything that has "Material" on the tooltip show it to the guide to see what you can make out of it. A lot of new accessories and things were added in 1.2 so the guide suddenly became useful again. Oh ya, I wouldn't use stone or any corruptable materials (stone, sand, dirt, mud, ice (the brick versions are ok) also never use raw crimson stone/ebonstone or pearlstone - pink/red/purple ice, it spreads the hallow/crimson/corruption) to build structures with. If you want to use stone, make them into bricks first.

ed: forgot to add, I'm not sure what the max wire length is. It is prolly on the wiki, but even if your base is too far away you can always make a transfer to another teleporter like this:

T = Teleporter
* = Wire
_= Ground

T*********T_T**********T

It makes for some super fast traveling but i've never built a system like that, ive only done short ranged ones to get around in my house faster or to teleport into sealed areas (such as the arena in my LP world). Mainly because laying wires is a pain in the ass. If you want some assistance I would be happy to help get your starting gear.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

[center]The Halloween Update was just released! This is what to expect during a pumpkin moon. It appears you have to manually start this event (thankfully!)

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Ah, I didnt know many of the materials were mutually exclusive - as I was looking for Iron and Cobalt - which there isnt any in my world. However I have now found a small amount of Palladium, and built a Palladium Drill; Dance I havnt really got around to testing it out yet. I guess im after Titanium now, for another drill, and armour (there is a lot more of Titanium around, than Palladium).

as for wings I do have plenty of feathers, which I could use to build Harpy Wings, but im missing a bunch of Soul of Flight. Although I plan to get them from that flying dragon thing, once I get better armour and weapons - atm its not even worth trying.

As for the teleporter, that is a good idea although the NPC to buy it from isnt in the game yet. hmm... says I need to summon (I guess not kill) either The Twins, The Destroyer or Skeletron Prime. I do have something to summon the twins, although im not sure if I should hold it back or not.

as for your Halloween Update... Gheezz! Youre doing 100's of damage, and amount of them! eeek! Myself, I am struggling to even leave my third house (yes I built another miniature one (far left), so I could explore for more altars. Its an water like place.

Although MoreTerra seems be screwing around now:
Picture

I have uploaded a video showing how much of a problem im having atm. This house is the third (which is the furthest left). I am not sure why im getting so many monsters spawning. I have also played with the recorder/settings now. It should be better now; 1080p (HD) with a bit-rate closer for youtube. So hopefully it should be fairly good quality (let me know what you think).

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

I am actually forced to watch at 360p hehe (terrible internets, takes hours to load a few minutes @ 1080p). But yea it looks good. It isn't a blurry mess so that is always a good thing!

First thing is you are in the jungle. The spawn rate is much higher there than normal. But the reason why so many mobs are spawning like that is because there are no NPCs in that house. The NPCs have an effect that stops mob spawns nearby. The more in an area the larger the safe zone (except on blood moons and eclipses where this rule is ignored and some mobs seem to ignore it as well, such as wyverns)

Looks like MoreTerra was updated this morning. I'm surprised it worked at all I usually get an error when using an old version on an updated world. Ya I just tried it and it gives an error.

On thing you could try is to head back over to your dungeon and go to the very bottom and dig out the bottom of it. There should be a good bit of ores around there including titanium. Doesn't have to be there, could be anywhere you have quick access to the lava layer. Chug a spelunker potion and go to town on the stuff.

I could help you out a little bit by helping get you some ores and stuff, but you are rarely online and then only for a few minutes.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Well when I upload to youtube do notice drop in quality - ie. it goes a little blurry. The original recording is pretty much sharp. I guess its just because of the lower megabit rates, and detailed screens.

as for the jungle, things have changed. I oddly found a Hurtful Vampire Knives which do around 39 melee damage (even know its an thrown weapon - which doesnt seem to require ammo). I found them in some chest - cant remmeber where. If you want me to upload a video of them, let me know. They normally kill most monsters within a few hits.

Since then I upgraded my drill to a Titanium Drill. In the wiki it says it can drill up-to Chlorophyte. However I tried on some Chlorophyte and it didnt work. I guess it means not including?

Ah, I did download a new copy of MoreTerra (1.11.4), and problem seems to have gone now. The maps are displaying correctly, once again.

Whilst travelling between my houses, I was attacked by some Ice Golem's. After killing a few I got a few pieces of the frost armour - I just need one more to have a complete set.

So I think I got through the transition between hard-mode and normal now. As you said, much of your good stuff in normal mode is just junk. The way forward I found was smashing altars and digging for the new ore (like you said).

as for the offline, well its a bit to do with rebirth. When im online I usually get quite a few questions about it, which I cant answer. Thanks for the offer btw, although I done everything so solo, for now id like to keep going like that.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

Alright awesome. Glad you got over that little bump. It is rough the first time in hardmode if you don't know what to expect.

The vampire knives are considered one of the best items in the game. The healing effect is really, really good. That thing I use all the time, Scourge of the Corruptor, is the same way. It is a ranged weapon that homes in on enemies but it counts as melee. I do like the vampire knives but the DPS is a bit low for my taste. AFAIK the only other thing to get that same healing is by using the spectre armor with a high DPS magic weapon/spell. With those knives you should be able to kill all the bosses if you haven't already.

I tried the vampire knives on a pumpkin moon and they did pretty well overall. Got to wave 11 before morning and didn't die. I also tried it with the spectre armor and heat ray. got to 14 on that one without dying. there are 15 waves of mobs and the last one multiple pumpkings and mourning woods spawn. Not sure if it is even possible to completely clear them all by morning. I was watching a guy (Yirmir) do it and even he didn't have enough dps to kill them all at once like that before morning. I am going to try some different things with traps and stuff to see if I can clear it completely. 4 pumpkings at 22k hp each and 3 mourning wood at 12k hp each, not including the other stuff that has 500 - 4k HP each... that is a LOT of dps needed to clear that final wave in time. I think I have a good idea on how to do it though, just have to get the motivation to set it all up.

yea that chlorophyte ore is a bit weird. it has changed over the past few patches. Now I think you need to have hallowed or better to dig it (pickaxe axe or the drax). However the chlorophyte tools cant dig the ore strangely enough.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I agree; the jump from normal to hard-mode is harsh. I am glad I stuck with it and finally got through it. Its now about killing the bigger monsters, so I can collect the better equipment (and complete sets and that) - atm I have a lot of missed matched stuff. Finding them knives made things much easier, after those I got a set of frostarmour (although by accident I sold the helmet Bash the wall), and even built a Drax (the drill). So now I can mine chlorophyte.

I havnt got/found anything as good as the vampire knives yet, so im stuck with one main weapon although by the sounding of it, they arent too bad. atm I need the leeching effect.

I know this isnt no way as good as you with the Destroyer, however this is the first time I ever faced him. I guess after each kill, youre able to improve yourself. Oh, and I did lose the mouse a few times too, as its really hard to see it sometimes. Uploaded in 1080 once again Smile

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

Awesome! That was pretty quick TBH. How did your house get turned to crimson? it shouldn't be able to jump that high up. IIRC it is only 4 blocks it can cross. Might want to consider turning regular stone into bricks first. Bricks can't be corrupted like that.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Thanks sinxar, coming from you that means a lot. All I need to do is beat The twins, as they cause me a lot of problems for some reason.

as for the house, I built with stone walls but didnt have quite enough. So I put some crimson bricks in, after returning to the house half of it was red. I figured it was fine, so I left it going red.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Well today I finally finished (for now) with the teleporters. I was able to link my 3 houses together with a few teleporters. The cabling took ages! well.... atleast now I can very quickly move between all 3 houses now, and top/bottom of my tower house. Thanks sinxar for the idea about spaning the gap, because I had to do that in one place:

and here's a map view from MoreTera:

Picture

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

Omg so much wiring. it makes travel so fast but damn... laying wires Cry.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »

You need to log-in to post here.