Laser Towers

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » Laser Towers

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have some Laser Towers and I am planning to deploy them.

I read somewhere that when there are deployed...near a station...you can make that station the tower's 'home' and this will instruct the tower to protect the station.
This is correct?

I've seen towers around the Universe.
Sometimes I see 2 or 3 around a station.
Sometimes I see 5 or more around a station.
What would be an appropriate number of Towers to deploy for a station?...and a complex?

Do they really do any good?

Is it easy for enemy fighters to destroy them? Basically are they worth deploying?

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

1) Yes, if you assign a station the tower's home it will attack anything that attacks the station.

2) If you really want to have them make a difference, for OOS defense, a lot of them. If you are deploying in sector for a battle ( you can collect them when finished ), a half dozen or so starts to really tip the scales your way.

3) Due to a bug in the way OOS combat works for laser towers, they are highly ineffective for OOS defense. On the other hand, if you are in sector, they are pretty potent with long range beam weapon and good steady damage. Basically anything M6 and larger just takes steady damage.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Thanks Puppy!

I could be in the sector at the time of any attack, but no guarantee.
If a station comes under attack while I'm OOS, I can get there quick.

I have started deploying Equipment Docks and Trading Stations along with building some more Complexes.
I am docking 'homed' fighters at these stations/complexes...four M3's at each so far.
The Laser Towers would be back-up for heavier ships.

I have some extra M6's I think I will dock and 'home' at some of these for some additional back-up.
And I also have plenty of Carracks that I plan to deploy for in-sector patrol.

The one thing that interests me is that in Gunne's Cursade, where I have 2 Equipment Docks, a Trading Station, and two pretty big Complexes...a Pirate Base showed up right in the middle of the sector.
It's a 'blue' Pirate Base...but it's not guaranteed to stay 'blue' if things go funky.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Your welcome.

I could be in the sector at the time of any attack, but no guarantee. If a station comes under attack while Im OOS, I can get there quick.
- cjm3fl

In this case they will be pretty good for keeping the enemy busy until you get there, because each has to be destroyed seperately, and all of an OOS combat round's damage from a single source can only be applied to a single target. Translation: Even an M2 will take at least 5 seconds per laser tower to take them down OOS. Just don't observe the fight until you get there, and OOS combat rounds are 30 seconds long. Then when you appear in sector, they will suddenly start causing the enemy serious pain.

The docked M3's are more durable but will still take losses. They are still just a place holder till you get there if you intend not to take heavy losses in your defense forces.

By the way you can also set 'friend/foe' settings on a laser tower to attack specific races. What I'm not certain is if the home base is set to 'foe' for a certain race, will the laser tower honor that setting and attack them as well even if it isn't set as 'foe' for the laser tower?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I would recommend dumping like 5-10 at-least. The more the merrier :P

After-all they are only like 150k each - usually the thing your protecting is worth a lot more than a few laser-towers.

Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

Why not buy a laser towerfactory and build your own, have as many as yo you want.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Building my own Laser Tower factory is on my list of 'things to do', Scott.
Right now I have several Towers in inventory...ones I've collected since I began my game.
Time to use them and stop carrying them around. Big grin

That Pirate Base that popped in the middle of Gunne's Crusade (a big complex sector of mine) turned 'red'!
My patrol Panther might have had Pirates listed as "foe".
I destroyed the station. If it re-spawns hopefully it will be 'blue' and stay that way.
I've reset the Panther's IFF and send her to an Equipment Dock.

The docked M3s are more durable but will still take losses. They are still just a place holder till you get there if you intend not to take heavy losses in your defense forces.
- PuppyOfWar

That's my thinking too.
Plus with an M6 docked and 'homed' at each station and 2 Carracks patrolling the sector, I hope I'm covered until I jump in.
Think I might 'station' an M2 or two in the middle of the sector also.

I would recommend dumping like 5-10 at-least. The more the merrier :P
- Roguey

Got enough to deploy 5 at each of three stations.
I KNOW that I have more somewhere...I have WAY TOO many ships in my fleet. I can't keep track of my inventories!

By the way you can also set friend/foe settings on a laser tower to attack specific races. What Im not certain is if the home base is set to foe for a certain race, will the laser tower honor that setting and attack them as well even if it isnt set as foe for the laser tower?
- PuppyOfWar

I'll be checking on the Towers' friend/foe settings too, and not just relaying on the Stations' settings.
These will be my first Tower deployments.
Time I finally learn to use them...properly.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

OOS - What does it mean?

I don't use laser towers, I prefer using fighters, moving targets.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

OOS = 'out-of-system'...or something very much like that.

I've never had stations and complexes to protect before.
I started my present game in July of 2011 and my 'status' says I have 75 days plus some hours invested into it.

It's way past time for me to investigate ALL the stuff this game has to offer.
Station and Complex building I'm now into...Laser Towers and 'homing' ships is next.

I've found out so damn much about this game just being part of this site.
Opened this game up to me totally.
I never understood how really deep it was.

I would have moved on to playing something else months ago.
Now my only problems is eating, sleeping, crapping, and working.

Hmm...wonder how I get reduce that list...sleeping seems over-rated Bat

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Plus with an M6 docked and homed at each station and 2 Carracks patrolling the sector, I hope Im covered until I jump in.
- cjm3fl

That should hold it till you get there. Just don't use a Dragon.

OOS = out-of-system...or something very much like that.
- cjm3fl

OOS - Out Of Sector, very close.

Now my only problems is eating, sleeping, crapping, and working Hmm...wonder how I get reduce that list...sleeping seems over-rated Bat
- cjm3fl

Your solutions, in that order: protein shakes + raw eggs, weed/synth, raid bucket, and unemployment.

With these you should be able to get your overhead down to about 3 hours per day for sleep, 10 mins for eating, 5 mins for bathroom breaks and of course 0 for work. Smoke between waypoints. That leaves 20 hours 45 mins per day for X3, give or take.

Good luck.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Just dont use a Dragon.
- PuppyOfWar

Am using Ospreys and a Hydra. I have 2 Skirons I may 'home' at each of my Complexes in Gunne's Crusade.
I do have 2 Heavy Dragons. I could use them to patrol Senator's Badlands...where I just completed a 22-station Paranid Missile Complex (Hornets, Hurricanes, and Wasps).

Your solutions, in that order: protein shakes + raw eggs, weed/synth, raid bucket, and unemployment.
- PuppyOfWar

Could work. I was thinking more of delivered pizza, carton of Reds, empty beer bottle, and the unemployment thing.

That leaves 20 hours 45 mins per day for X3, give or take.
- PuppyOfWar

That sounds awfully like my last weekend. Wink

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Could work. I was thinking more of delivered pizza, carton of Reds, empty beer bottle, and the unemployment thing.
- cjm3fl

Good job, I see you have applied the general concepts of the plan to your situation. Just one caveat. You do realize that a beer bottle can only hold the same piss generated from 1 bottle of beer, right?? If you even foam a little, you are going to run out of room....

I use the "Simply Lemonade" containers. Wide mouth, good capacity. Even better than milk jugs overall, IMO.

You got questions about taking your gaming way beyond the point of being healthy, I got answers.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

You do realize that a beer bottle can only hold the same piss generated from 1 bottle of beer, right?? If you even foam a little, you are going to run out of room....
- PuppyOfWar

Tile floor...not that much of an issue LOL

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Tile floor...not that much of an issue LOL
- cjm3fl

Tile floor. Now why didn't I think of that.

Damn, only one step left for you my friend. Long distance pilots and astronauts need to use these. You are role playing a space pilot. So how real are you ready for this to get for you?

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

So how real are you ready for this to get for you?
- PuppyOfWar

1) Weekend off from work...
2) Pizza place on speed-dial...
3) Case of beer chillin in the frig...(bottles, no accidents trying to 're-use' a can..OUCH)
3a) Wide mouth beer bottles because....well, just because Wink
4) New carton of Reds...

Figure this as a 'trial-run' for things to come.

I got lots of "down time" coming up.
Actually supposed to be in it now! But now it won't be until end of April.

Yeah, this weekend will be a trial-run Keyboard typing

Tile floor. Now why didnt I think of that.
- PuppyOfWar

Great minds work better in group settings. Knowledge and experience, like cold beer, are best when shared Beer

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Great minds work better in group settings. Knowledge and experience, like cold beer, are best when shared Beer
- cjm3fl

Is that why I'm always in group therapy??

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.