My First Capital Ship

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » My First Capital Ship

nankura

nankura avatar
Level badge Noviguey (3)
Posted 12 years ago.

hey guys

im looking into buying my first capital ship, im definatly a fan of them, i love the idea of a big ship and lasers everywhere. but at the same time, i know this sounds crazy, but i want to try and play the game solo. maybe build some trading stations. but im not the type of person to be commanding a fleet of ships and controlling multiple ships during a battle

so i was wondering whether to go for a carrier M1 or a missile frigate M2 setup. and which one would suit my solo playstyle

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

If it is your first capital, I recommend starting off with an M7, they are pretty good, and with right set up I could probably take out a fleet of M1/2s (just give me a load of missiles and an Argon Minoteur)
If it is defiantly M1 and 2 though, it depends how much money you are willing to spend. A good ship can cast between 50-90million credits. And kitting out will be a lot, so I always leave 200million credit when buying a ship, more than enough but a good safe spending margin.

For me, a standard set-up for a cap is Photon Pulse Cannons on all turrets that can hold them, and HEPTs on the rest. That is on M1s and 2s. Brilliant set-up, owns a lot of things.
When it comes to missiles it don't really put them on, unless I need to own something big Big grin

nankura

nankura avatar
Level badge Noviguey (3)
Posted 12 years ago.

that was a fast reply!! Big grin

anyway. id love to give an M2 or M1 a try, my main confusion is really which race and which one will be best suited for solo play. especially after been upgraded

And also buying all the turrets and loadouts, i swear, everytime i visit an equipement dock in Omicron its out of stock in everything lol

oh btw i forgot to menchone that i plan to use a phew mods, as i posted here
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3856427#3856427

my goal is to play the game solo and eliminate the need for a fleet. and play in an x3 world were the npc's make there own decisions and u can join them, or fight them, as a solo pilot. i was advised that those mods would achieve that in the post that i linked

As i said, im not much of a person for commanding multiple ships, i just want my single powerful vessel, and to be able to play in an active world in x3tc were war happens on its own terms and npcs respond to it. and i can join them in that response.

ive always since freelancer loved the thought of a slow but massive ship with multiple guns firing and taking on multiple opponents.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

It's only my opinion, but I kinda have to reccomend the Shrike as a starting capital ship. It's my fave ship in the game, 4Gj of shields, 7500 XL cargo space, and a wide enough variety of weapons that it can take out M2s and fighter swarms quite happily. It can also carry a fighter wing of up to 8 ships (I like Eclipse for a Shrike), which in the right circumstances can take out Xenon Qs quite happily. The only major downside then is both the top speed (96m/s) and the weapons generator sometimes flags. Especially when using Flak Artillery Arrays.

Other good/popular choices are the Split Tiger, which is a beast of a ship, but doesn't mount Gauss Cannons, which the Shrike does, OR the Split Panther, which is also a killer ship, but has a fighter bay for 32 ships.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
nankura

nankura avatar
Level badge Noviguey (3)
Posted 12 years ago.

I respect all opinions. though it does make my decision harder haha, i keep hearing good things about an M7.especially the shrike, my thing is. the more i hear about it and see videos, ( i saw an M7 hyperion one shot an M2 xenon ) i start to feel m7's are abit overpowered

Like i want a big ship. but i dont want to be a god. i want a challenge haha, and idk the m2 and m1 ships just appeal to me. i have no idea why but ive always gawed at large ships and loved piloting them since freelancer

but hey like i said. i want basically a solo ship that can handle without the need of a fleet, so i guess if an M7 is the best option that ill prob take that. tho yea, M2's are sexy x.x

i know this sounds crazy, but looks are definatly something that appeal to me with a ship, and i enjoy sitting back watching an M2 fire a million weapons lol, i also heard M7's Require abit more manual control

And i find ships that require alot of manual control, u find urself in 1st person. i like to circle my ship as it fights, etc in 3rd person

i know. im picky haha sorry

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have a bit of time with both M1, M2 and M7's.

M1's can actually do more damage than M2 because when a M1 is filled with 50-60 M3's, then they can do some massive damage. However buying and arming that many ships takes a lot of time and money. You also have to be able to replace them too, as you will get a few killed every so often (sometimes even by the silly AI). I found the Eclipse being the easiest has in L size it comes with 4 x HEPT and 1 x 200MJ (which is a very good start).

M2's are the most powerful solo ship but this doesnt mean they can take on a whole sector and win. Usually front/left/right are best with anti-capital weapons (like PPC/Gauss) whilst the rest being anti-fighter (flaks). M2's dont usually work well with other M2's as they are very slow to react, turn or even get in range. M2's are really best solo.

M7's... well these are kind-of a mix of ships but they can be more enjoyable than a M2 going at 20-40m/s. The low shielded ones dont really work too well in fleets (such as Carrack). I think the M7 range has kindof blurred into M1/2, as some have nearly as much shielding! Some even are like mini-m1's too.

nankura

nankura avatar
Level badge Noviguey (3)
Posted 12 years ago.

ok. so if you were to suggest an M2 ( ive already gathered the Shrike as my best M7 choice ) which M2 would you suggest for my type of gameplay style

oh and after u guys make a suggestion on an M2, has anyone tried the Argon Centaur or Heavy Centaur, the look reminds me of a ship on eve that i loved

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

ok. so if you were to suggest an M2 ( ive already gathered the Shrike as my best M7 choice ) which M2 would you suggest for my type of gameplay style
- nankura

I'd say the Boreas would be a good choice, or a Valhalla if you can cap one and get hold of the weapons for it.

oh and after u guys make a suggestion on an M2, has anyone tried the Argon Centaur or Heavy Centaur, the look reminds me of a ship on eve that i loved
- nankura

The Argon Centaur was my first M6 in x3ap, and it's a respectable ship for sure. Nimble enough to strafe around cap ship fire, and take down an M2 at a stretch if you're flying it yourself. It's certainly not as geared towards fighters as the Heavy is, but the weapons gen can sustain 4 CIGs on continuous fire. Imho it's not the best light corvette though. If I were to pick from the purchasable ones, I'd go for a Dragon. Cheaper, faster, better weapons generator, just try not to get hit. It's just a better ship for someone with good piloting skill. Out of all M6s though, the Hyperion easily trumps the rest though provided you can board one successfully, and is what I now fly.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
yeni

yeni avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

- nankura

((small spoiler at last line of post))

first, in EVERY case the best ship is the one that you're happiest with - and that's probably a matter of personal preference - so save, try a ship, and see how you like it.
also, as i just started TC a week or so ago, i'm not up to these ships quite yet Wink (but i've been thru X-BTF, X2, and Reunion - i didn't feel a need for anything stronger than the Hyperion M7 in reunion, I was surprised that it became a M6 in TC and all new M7s were introduced..

for a M7, i think i'd enjoy a Panther more than any other M7 - and it doubles as a M1 if i want a fighter wing (the stats for the Shrike scare me, honestly, even considering gauss on it) but your style might prefer the Shrike.

Do people use a M7M as a personal or only ship very often? just a thought, it's nice to carry Holy Hand Grenades!

for a M2 and your stated flying style, i'd look closest at shields and weapon power regen (and consider how much different weapons drain the power), then look at speed - meaning probably the Boreas or the Osaka, unless you want to try to cap an ATF M2..

in the M6 class, aside from the Hyperion, the only race of the 5 Commonwealth races i'd buy a M6 from is the Argon - if you want a Centaur, you might look at :

Corporation Rewards for maxing Jonferco or Plutarch

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Do people use a M7M as a personal or only ship very often? just a thought, its nice to carry Holy Hand Grenades!
- yeni

Since flying an M7M usually bottles down to spamming missiles, it doesn't really require much skill and can largely done remotely. I often try to acquire a Cobra early on in my games, but the only times I personally take control of it is when I want to cap a slow M1 or M2 and I want to stay out of range. If I cap anything smaller, I find flails aren't delicate enough so I keep down the shields with my Hyperion and just use the M7M as a launching platform. M7Ms are invaluable, but imho not player ship material, though I ought to include the "personal preference" disclaimer.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Going to play Necromancer in this thread.... Borg

Personally, for an M2..it has be to the Boreas.
I had (and still do) an Argon Titan and a Split Python before I purchased my Boreas.
Both of those M2's are good ships, but the Boreas beats them hands-down.
Forty weapon points, five 2GJ in shielding, 63 m/s speed, respectable 8,500 in cargo space, and 300,000 J weapons generating--@ 4,500 J/s recharge make this probably the best, over-all, of the M2's in the TC game.

She has 8 weapon points up front, in the rear, and on the right and left turrets. Each with can mount PPC's.
Add the 4 weapon points top and bottom for IBL's (hard to come by) or FAA for defense and you get large amounts of respect in any Sector you enter! Wink

The Boreas isn't the best looking (in my opinion) of the M2's but she will kick some serious ass!
Of my 3 M2's, my Boreas is the only one that I haven't had to do any hull repair on. I've put all my M2's up against some freaking serious Xenon fleets.

I fight with missiles, unlike some other players.
The Boreas can launch a nice variety of them. But to be fair all M2's can too.

The only issue playing "solo" with a capital ship is resupply.
If you decide to use missiles, you will need to find a supplier of them and a way to get them on board your Boreas. Also with a jump-drive installed you will need energy cells.
I have used a Mistral freighter as a resupply ship.
Now I have a Split Elephant (TL) taking over that duty. Great speed, nice cargo capacity, and dockage for 14 fighter class craft.
I still use the Mistral as it can dock at all stations and has a nice cargo capacity.
You can dock the M2 and the TL at Shipyards, Equipment Docks, and Military Outposts to transfer cargo. Or you can get transporters and do it while undocked.

If you don't wish to have a re-supply ship in tow, make sure that you find and use some freighter drones.

While I have a Boreas in my fleet, I prefer to fly around in a Tiger (M7) or a Panther (M7-carrier).
Just throwing in a M7 plug Wave

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

What about the parnoid drmois? 6g sheilds 8jn front plus 2allrhe way around.I used that in the goner plot .plus itt has psg.just my two cents

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

What about the parnoid drmois?
- Scott

While it's a good ship the Deimos is an M7 and nankura posted...

id love to give an M2 or M1 a try, my main confusion is really which race and which one will be best suited for solo play. especially after been upgraded
- nankura

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

What about the parnoid drmois? 6g sheilds 8jn front plus 2allrhe way around.I used that in the goner plot .plus itt has psg.just my two cents
- Scott

Crazy really.. its basically got the shielding of a M1/2. This is what I mean about the M7 class blurring into M1/2 lines.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

This is what I mean about the M7 class blurring into M1/2 lines.
- Roguey

:nod
Hence my thread about re-classification.
M7's just don't fit as "frigates" in my mind. I see them more as "cruisers".
Ship size has a lot to do with my thinking, but so do the stats Deal
(Again, just my way of thinking--not looking for any kind of changes.)

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Agreed.. maybe the M1/2 class should have more turrets, more guns and bigger shields.. then they would probably feel more like destroyers.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.