caping a station?

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » caping a station?

Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

Is it possible to cap a station? Ie a xneon station or a yaki shipyard ? Does not appear to be a way ,just though I ask Thanks

yeni

yeni avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 11 years ago.

i've seen an addon script to make it possible, but other than that or just changing owner in the cheat package, there's no way i'm aware of.

SMITHY77

SMITHY77 avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hate to see how many marines that would chew up to cap it! Would be a tad harder than a ship.

Eek

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

Added to there being no way to repair stations that I know of (though I would love to find out that I'm wrong) and that stations are, well... stationary. Wouldn't it suck to blow through dozens of marines to cap a station, only to have it destroyed by the resident M2 because you can't drag it to safety.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Capping stations, without scripts, would be an interesting addition to the game.
Besides conquering a Sector by offensive means, we could control a Sector(s) by occupation.

This would open up a new dimension of game combat and some interesting warring options within the game itself.

Maybe we can "control" a Sector through commerce instead?
Placing a station or stations in a desired Sector that consumes the product(s) of existing stations and undercutting the market by paying the highest price for resources.

If there are 'finished goods' stations, undercutting them by selling 'finished goods' at the lowest price.

Both of these ideas would probably take sizable resources and funds..and I'm not even sure if the game engine would follow along with this type of subterfuge. But it's an idea.
I may have to try this myself.

So far, by placing 'desirable' (illegal goods) Complexes in an Unknown Sector, I have kept the local Pirate Station friendly (or at least neutral) while some of my sectors are coming under pretty heavy attack my large Pirate forces.

I could see positive things by being able to cap stations...by I'd be more interested by being able to cap Orbiting Weapons Platforms myself...something I know can't be done, in vanilla at least.

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

would the whole thing be worthwhile? I mean it would probably take a lot of troops and give you massive rep loss.. for something in the end worth up-to a max. of 20 million? Not really many unique stations either.

Maybe it might work for pirate stations, but if you cant move the station out of the sector, then pirate patrols will constantly attack your station?

Sorry to seam down on the idea, but just think the low prices kind-of kill the idea somewhat.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Sorry to seam down on the idea,
- Roguey

Can't be "down" on something that is not possible.

But I think I will try the 'economic strangle-hold' on a Sector or two.
Kinda like putting a Toyota dealership right across the street from a Nissan dealership. Wink

Might lead to nothing.
Might lead to profits to me and loss of profits to disliked three-eyed fanatics.
Poke

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

This is something I would have liked to see added to the game. To oppose roguey's view of it not being worthwhile, there does come a point when asteroids start running scarce. Unlike other stations, there's a limit on how many mines can be placed, and eventually it might become beneficial to take over AI mines.

To balance profit vs price, the simple solution is to scale down how many troops, rep loss etc so that it's appropriate to the reward. Simple balance issue that's not hard to fix.

Maybe it might work for pirate stations, but if you cant move the station out of the sector, then pirate patrols will constantly attack your station?
- Roguey

Easy: Add the ability to tow stations, at least the smaller ones, through gates to other sectors. I think mines for instance should be excluded though to prevent the player from sticking them all in the same sector. After all though, the Aran is bigger than many stations, and if that can be towed through a gate then why not something like a Bliss Place.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

I use a pair of community scripts, one which allows a TP full of marines to force dock at a hostile station (based on their Hacking skill) and then overtake the station from the inside. The other script allow for non complexed stations to be re-packaged into a TL for transport to another location.

It's handy for some of my DiD games, if I can't trade with a given race I'll just board and steal their factories instead Dance

It would make an awesome addition to the game, in my opinion, but I don't think it's something Ego will ever do, even with massive community support.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Wow, that's a really inventive and clever way of going about it. It's things like this that make me tempted to don the **modified** tag.

I wish they would take some more of the best scripts that are out there and pack them into another bonus pack. The current one has some good stuff in it, but there's so much more that could be added.

yeni

yeni avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 11 years ago.

Kirlack, I think I'd seen both of those scripts in the script library and combining them hadn't occurred to me yet, great idea Wink

Easy: Add the ability to tow stations, at least the smaller ones, through gates to other sectors. I think mines for instance should be excluded though to prevent the player from sticking them all in the same sector. After all though, the Aran is bigger than many stations, and if that can be towed through a gate then why not something like a Bliss Place.
- Seygantte

I believe Gazz's Super Tractor script can do this already - I think it also allows you to jump with something in tow ( yet, it also lets you move mines - but nothing forces you to use that capability, of course ). As for running low on mineral resources, eventually you might be forced to exploit mobile mining if you want to keep building more and more (I hope I never build up to that point!)

As for the *modified* tag, I haven't played without it since one game of X2, there are enough useful and non-exploitative addons that I'm not willing to do without them - as one example, numeric race ranks was a total no-brainer.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well I've played modified before, and it didn't take long for me to stop enjoying the game. I have an issue with self restraint sometimes, and I know that if I start editing the game it won't be long before I start blatantly cheating. I'm not usually one for slippery slope arguments, but knowing my own character it's better for me to just draw the line at the bonus pack and stop at that.

The line must be drawn here! This far and no farther!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

You got a point about NPC mines, ive had it when I could do with some extra ore or silicon, yet there are very low amounts left. Its annoying to see a NPC station just about 10-15km away which is completely full, as the AI ships dont want it. So I agree, boarding stations could be useful then. I just think most of the time its easier to simply build the station.

I do think there should be a way of moving stations between sectors although. This is something I think jump-beacons could help with.. Okay so stations are too big to fit though a gate, however why not allow us to jump with them to jump-beacons?

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 11 years ago.

Has anyone tried jumping to a beacon with a factory in toe behind?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I would think the tow is would be lost...

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Ok, I've got myself confused as to what can actually be done in the game. Question time:

1. Can ships be towed through jumpgates?
2. If yes, can ships be towed via a jumpdrive jump?
3. If yes, can ships be towed via a jumpdrive jump to a jump beacon?

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.