Next ship purchase - sorry for the wall of text ;)

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » Next ship purchase - sorry for the wall of text ;)

Splyce

Splyce avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 11 years ago.

At the moment I'm taking baby steps into starting up a trading/manufacturing empire (after faffing for far too long) so I've got 12 TSs either as CAGs running from my 1 complex (beef - cahoonas), my silica mine in the ore belt or my plankton factory or rolling around the universe as STs/UTs. I'm also using one as storage as I can't find any better solution at the moment to stroing all the crap I pick up while fighting pirates/smugglers.

They're mostly Mercurys/Demeters but a couple of Mistral Super Freighters are in there too.

I've also got 2 Nova Raiders, one of which is protecting my complex (no need to sell it so putting it to use) and the other has a jump drive so I use that one use my everyday pirate hunter.

I also have a small M4 I picked up somewhere - it's sitting at my silica mine as a small amount of protection.

My next move will be to get a bigger ship to take on the harder pirate groups (maybe an M6). I've got about 20mil and was wondering what to get next.

Any suggestions?

Weapon loadout would also be useful - I'm still getting my head around what weapons are good for taking bigger ships down. Obviously if I need race rep for any suggestions I'll build that up first.

Cheers in advance

(this was also posted as a reply to Roguey in the saying hello section - please feel free to delete that post if you feel this is a better place for it - thank you)

yeni

yeni avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 11 years ago.

i'd probably suggest a M6 or maybe a M3+ if your fight rank isn't too high - some of the m3+ ships can be fun, i like the chimera myself Wink For whatever you wnt to look at, i'd advise going thru the Ships listings here to see what fits your playstyle and preferences.

there are a few "lost ship" m3+ available to claim on the standard map, if you want to look into that - otherwise, they run 5 mil and change, plus equipment and can handle M6'es by using missiles

as for M6, i'd look first at the argon variants - then if you want speed, look at the split, if you want slow but sturdy, there are other choices. Pay attention to the turret arrangements, some seem rather wierd, save before you buy in case you dislike a particular one

*vauge spoiler below*

there are 4 different places i know of where running missions will have you given a M6, all fairly nice ones.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

No need to apologise for the text wall, we've all done worse.

As far as your next ship goes, the Argon Centaur is often thought of as a good all rounder suited for being a My First Corvette due to its got fair shields, speed, weapons etc. If you're a proficient pilot, though, and can evade enemy fire to a good extent then consider getting a Split Dragon instead. It's got less shielding and lacking the Centaur's side turrets, but it's more agile and the weapons reactor is a big step up so you can sustain more fire. It's more of a capital killer than the Centaur but you'll have to pay more attention to enemy fighters. It's also a sexy looking beast WinkAll these M6s have their heavy counterparts, sometimes called M6+s, which are slower, better shielded and usually with more turrets. Ultimately most people end up with a Paranid Hyperion Vanguard, but this one has to be boarded. Comparisons here

As far as weapons go, I always stick CIGs in my M6s. I did the maths, and they've got the best damage output to energy ratio. It's a bit annoying with heavy fighters as they get knocked off course meaning you can't do continuous fire, but it's worth it considering how easy it is to rip apart capitals with them. You won't be able to sustain 8 CIGs though, so if you don't mind using ammo you can add a few EBCs which you can toggle off then you don't need them and on when you're low on energy. HEPTs in the turrets is the usual choice.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

If you can get a Vidar and arm it with M/AM cannons. I used that ship for a very long time. Its good enough to take on Carraks with a bit of dodging. The smaller stuff can be a pain but missiles work pretty well.

Sha1hulud

Sha1hulud avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm going to agree with Seygantte, the Centaur is a great choice to start out with. If you want to wait a bit longer for more money, you could get the Argon Skiron; although I'm not sure it is available from the start. It has some of the best stats of all the M6's out there with fantastic shields, above average speed, and a great Weapon capacity. The only downside for it, is it's relatively limited cargo capacity.

Splyce

Splyce avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 11 years ago.

Well cheers guys for your fast responses. I'll take all your suggestions and do a little research and see what suits me (I'm trying not to ask too many questions or read too many guides - I like to experiment and learn through mistakes).

Thanks again Smile

PS - Love Sha1huluds name - I'm a massive Dune fan myself with all the books, every version of the film available, even got a few of the figures somewhere!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Id go for the Centaur too, first major ship with good alround stats.

You need to log-in to post here.