Metacritic = TONS of negative reviews

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Metacritic = TONS of negative reviews

XeNoN

XeNoN avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

Since im a smart dude and i always wait for review before i buy the game, after reading all the reviews on Metacritic there are like 150 + negative ones, i was like O.O w8 this cannot be X Rebirth, then i've checked around and it was it!
Ok guys wtf is going on can someone explain wtf is wrong?

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

-Andrew Ender Wiggin
Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Hello XeNoN, I too waited for reviews and now I'm definitely not going to buy this game nor even try it for free! Sad Cry

Well, I think the major problem now is performance and compatibility issues (you can see the technical support and how bad it goes there!), not to mention the lack of many features that were in X3.

I actually think X3 TC/AP seems better, Rebirth looks almost like no more than just larger universe and higher graphics, but what the point... when the game runs, if it runs, rough (low FPS) on even higher machines?! Hate PC

I know you was looking forward it XeNoN, me and others too but... I'm just sad for us... and for Egosoft as well, we used to like their games and we were hoping... ah whatever Sad

Well, there may still be hope for this title but I really think it needs maybe another 7 years or something?! maybe. Confused

PS. So whats I'm going to do is return back to Albion, though I'm already still playing it, and just wait for a while and then see what develops regarding Egosoft and Rebirth, if there something important happens.

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

hi there, yea the game has performance issues, there's bugs and has a bad GUI.. but I didnt think things were that bad. I guess ego built up the game so much that it was going to be a disappointment whatever the case. When I saw the wave of angry posts yesterday/today it was shocking (there is a lot of hate on steam).

Please do not blame any of the testers for any of this. We testers did our part of testing the game.

Its a real shame, cos this could of been the the big-league for ego. What the future holds for them now is really what they do in the next few weeks i think.

Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

I was reading the reviews yesterday. I found it curiously funny that with the exception of one positive review, all the reviews with decent numbers (Over 6) were from accounts with no prior review history. Dance
Not shady AT ALL.

I think this is the beginning of the end for Egosoft. Pains me to say.
With Steam is giving refunds, Reviews now in the toilet, and an alienated fan base with the dumbed down console-ised sequel, where is the money for the many fixes comong from. I think Deep Silver is going to cut losses given the reviews. Will it pay for them to shell out money so Egosoft will MAYBE fix it on their dime?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

well to be honest I dont really read userscores on Metacritic, I feel people either post too high, or too low. Then the honest reviews get mixed-up with all high and low scores. Although its a bit hard to dismiss when you see so many negatives.

Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

i give it a thumbs up

XeNoN

XeNoN avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Personally Egosoft failed with publisher since Deep silver is really, really shite publisher, they always launch so buggy games but few were good for example Dead Island series and now incoming Dying Light. They looked good on "paper" if you follow me, but in practice tons of bugs etc, altough theyre were not bad games they were suffered from tons of bugs, ctd's etc.
My only question why the f egosoft didnt publish this on their own as before, forgot older publisher of their's but it was way better, the X3 series were the best, and with this new one X Rebirth after seeing some gameplay vids it feels like it isnt an X game.
Well i guess ill wait a few months until they fix all issues, and maybe ill check it out, but im still shook up by these negative posts etc :S.

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

-Andrew Ender Wiggin
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

My only question why the f egosoft didnt publish this on their own as before, forgot older publisher of their's but it was way better,
- XeNoN

Well egosoft are probably tied by a contract to the publisher. Kickstart would of been the way forward but this all happened way after they decided to build X-R. As you can see, DX9/32bit are signs from XP era, which have pretty much gone now. It took too long to develop, and technology changed.

Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

If you have to disable devices and mess with Operating System sound settings so it doesn't crash, I think it's safe to say the bean counters at Deep Silver may be worried the juice might not be worth the squeeze. Their reputation is also on the line as well. Do they write it off as a loss to lower taxes or gamble with more money. Personally, I hope it gets fixed. I am a gamer. I love TC and AP. It's not my call. It's some dude in an office who was probably asked by Steam for refunds on preorder cash that was funding the finished project. I would like to remain optimistic but it's an ugly situation for them.

Umbru

Umbru avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

It really isn't that bad although if I hadn't pre-ordered I'd probably give it a few months before I bought it. Most of the bugs I have run into are annoying not game breaking. The UI could use a little work, the icons for enemy ships off screen are to small, there isn't a key to select nearest enemy a few other smallish things that add up. There are also some stuff that could be done to smooth out menu navigation and property management.

The up side is pretty much all the problems I have with the game are things that can be tweaked and/or fixed and Egosoft has a great reputation for doing just that.

Avertan

Avertan avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

I am afraid that this bad of a failure might make the bigger companies look at Ego as something to be bought for the franchise and shelved.

Honestly I would not be surprised if they are in debt especially if refunds are going out.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4202894#4202894

This guy is 100% correct. This game is the culmination of dozens of ideas tried and abandoned, a throw it against the wall to see what sticks without a coherent goal or direction.

AngryToaster

AngryToaster avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I'm making a point to hold myself from making any judgements about XR until I've seen more of the game. It was obvious way back in development it was going to be very different.

Let's not pretend X3 was perfect. My experience always started out flying a badass star fighter, transitioned into more lucrative courier/ferry piloting, expanded out to exploring and faction grinding in foreign lands, and ended up a pencil pushing for the sci-fi version of the East India Company. Even when I did marshal my resources and send my dozens of M2s to that One Big Xenon Battle, I had to warm the bench so I could command OOS. The pattern needed shaking up.

We'll know after some patching and modding if XR is worth playing. I certainly have nothing bad to say against anyone who wanted to find this out before buying it.

XeNoN

XeNoN avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Why am i always open interesting topics haha.
ROGUEY gimme moterator here! I deserved it! XD :P
Anyways AngryToaster@ (Awesome nick lol) i totally agree, im always sceptical with any new game, for example Skyrim i tought it will suck badly, but after few patches, workarounds, mods (which it has the most of any game currently on nexus there are almoust 1 million mods uploaded and most of them improve and fix the gameplay), so i do hope it will be the case with the XRe, i was always the fan of space simulation games, my first was Privateer 2 The darkening and then Freelancer series and X series, the x series (which i enjoyed extremely) are the throne of these games genre.
Again i do hope XRe would not fail us in the future because even the smallest updates and patches can do wonders and also modder's where i belong Big grin, there is an awesome feeling when you make a mod that fixes something or even improve, that gameplay is more enjoyable.
To tell you the truth guys and girls (if there are any) i was pissed off when i started playin X series, it took me 2 h to get of hang of it, but now i enjoy it.
I'll give the XRe a go, after i buy new pc ofc and try it, it wont hurt Smile.
Anyway thanks all for your oppinion and responses it served me well Wink.
By all means post more as the game develops, after all we all recall that almoust every game after launch had some issues, so why the f we are not patient with this one? Eh?

-Andrew Ender Wiggin
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

@xenon lol, ill let you know if we need a few Smile

as for XR, you can pretty much guarantee that egosoft will fix things, probably give us a new plot in the process. as you said, X3 was pretty bad at the launch. Although not saying its okay to have bugs in a game, just that I think egosoft over-stretched themselves and wont turn their backs on people like many of the big developers.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

It sounds like another Sonic 06 again, where loads of people are flaming the game and saying it's an unplayable buggy mess; when in reality, it's just still in Beta. All the concepts and idea ares there, and the gameplay is starting to be good, it's just the game in unfinished... It shouldn't have been put on sale yet, but it is by no means unplayable!

I'm gonna wait till Christmas before getting it (or someone getting it for me Smile), as I've played it round a friend's house and I don't mind waiting a while so that patches come out and bugs are fixed.

I will be the one to take you down!
1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.