Give up on this game.

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Give up on this game.

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 7 years ago.

Well... I finally finished the main campaign, courtesy of the HoL add-on actually allowing you to buy parts needed for the URV Fab and Wharf. wow, that was... underwhelming. I'm with Roguey on his original review/walkthrough, was that it? In my game the Xenon stations didn't even detonate. Tried hammering at them with the Skunk but even after finding a position away from the turrets which chew through you in seconds, it took about 3 minutes to knock 1% off the hull strength and that was using all my missiles and rotating the guns.

I really now have no incentive to play on, all that's left is the radiant missions or trying to build a commerce empire in a broken economy. Even the HoL add-on brings nothing really new, no campaign just slightly nicer looking area of space and some different music. In fact, I seriously doubt I will play XR again.

Sparks

Sparks avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 7 years ago.

courtesy of the HoL add-on actually allowing you to buy parts needed for the URV Fab and Wharf

- BigVern

Do you own the Teladi Outpost DLC? That offers access to construction wares in OL outside of the normal plot design (e.g. boarding, hacking or damaging PMC ships and stations).

In my game the Xenon stations didn't even detonate. Tried hammering at them with the Skunk but even after finding a position away from the turrets which chew through you in seconds, it took about 3 minutes to knock 1% off the hull strength and that was using all my missiles and rotating the guns.

- BigVern

I can't remember how many HPs the destructible station modules have. In my game I think my capitals and allied capitals destroyed several while we were fighting Xenon capitals. It's been a while so I can't remember what triggered mission completion.

Even the HoL add-on brings nothing really new, no campaign just slightly nicer looking area of space and some different music.
- BigVern

I found the Xenon Invasion side quest, following on from "Ship in distress" generic missions, quite interesting but yeah, it's not a campaign in the normal sense.

Bardicheart

Bardicheart avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 6 years ago.

Bit late to the party here (story of my life reallly). I will start by saying I *really* wish I had paid attention to the negative reviews before buying XR. Lesson learned.

Initially I liked it, for about the first 15 hours of play of the main campaign. Overall the graphics were much better, loved the new station designs with the external advertising and so forth. Liked the new cockpit (went with the merchant variant myself). And initially it felt like someone had finally remade Freelancer (I kept wanting to call Yisha, Junco LOL) Granted some things needed work, the character graphics left much to be desired. I do 3D graphics and so I know how hard it can be to get that right. Its one of the more challenge aspects of 3D work, so I was willing to cut them some slack here. But then after about 15 hours of play of the main campaign I'm starting to see how much of it just feels unfinished or flat broken. I'm sure none of it would surprise any of you, things like my engineer on the Skunk telling me the ship is fine even though its got 7% hull damage... you're fired. Finding out that you can't tell a ship (in your squad) to dock at a station, you can't recall a pilot from a small craft such as a fighter (so that Split pilot who had a 5-4-5 star rating I felt lucky to have hired is now stuck in a crap fighter I just wanted to claim and salvage a) to see how that worked and b) for some extra credits and if I sell it I lose; he's worth more than the ship!). Finally, I got to the point where you go through the gate... into a black void. At least for me it was a great black void, even on reload, same thing. Went back a couple of save points, played forward and... black void. Watch Roguey's vid, I see nothing like what is in his vid. Junco... er, I mean Yisha, tells me I'm supposed to be seeing a highway out there, but... nothing, no highway, no debris, no asteroids, no stars, no nothing. Long range ping... nothing. Mission pointer says fly to Unknown Sector... its a mere 1,870,000+ km away... and yes you read that right. At that point I just said to hell with it and gave up.

I bought the complete version on Steam on sale so at least there's that (so not that much wasted, but still irksome). I requested a refund but unfortunately since I'd played for more than 2 hrs my request was denied. So insult to injury there.

Its frustrating, I saw a lot of potential in this game... it just feels very unfinished, poor execution of concept. That's a pity because it could have been so much more than it was/is. Reading back over this thread I saw a comment that apparently the game had 7-8 years of development to get it to where it is??? I find that difficult to believe, it doesn't seem like it. I think if there is to be an X4 they will need to turn out a very impressive product to regain customer confidence, otherwise... future dark see I. But from what I've seen and read I'm not holding my breath on them accomplishing that.

So I guess what I'm saying is... new guy to Rebirth and after 25.2 hrs of play add me to the list of those giving up (on Rebirth if not the franchise).

I will say, for what its worth, I've come to enjoy X3:AP. That's thanks in part to site's like Roguey's which have helped me get the most out of the game. An that's saying a lot after rather scalding review of X3:TC. So I guess its back to my current AP game and my spreadsheet as I prep to build my penultimate self sufficient super mega complex! (or at least that's the plan...).

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

Finally, I got to the point where you go through the gate... into a black void. At least for me it was a great black void, even on reload, same thing. Went back a couple of save points, played forward and... black void. Watch Roguey's vid, I see nothing like what is in his vid. Junco... er, I mean Yisha, tells me I'm supposed to be seeing a highway out there, but... nothing, no highway, no debris, no asteroids, no stars, no nothing. Long range ping... nothing. Mission pointer says fly to Unknown Sector... its a mere 1,870,000+ km away... and yes you read that right. At that point I just said to hell with it and gave up.
- Bardicheart

I had the exact same thing happen:
Picture
I couldn't get past this part either and was forced to start over, not that big a deal really since it is so early into the tutorial and I rushed it up to that point anyway. I started over and did some trading and missions up to 20 mil credits and upgraded my ship and thankfully it worked that time. It is my understanding it is some glitch with skipping the cutscene (even though I didn't).

I had this game for quite some time but because of the poor reviews and everyone telling me how bad it was, I never played it more than a few minutes at most. It wasn't until a few days ago I decided to give it a real go and learn the game.

It reminds me of my early times with X3: Reunion, everything is just so foreign and overly complicated for no apparent reason, in this regard the X3 series is the same way though. It does have a tutorial at least but doesn't explain (what I think is) critical information. In your example with claiming a small ship and selling it and losing the pilot. That is just stupid to me and there is no reason as far as I can tell to ever hire a pilot with stars in anything.

I haven't played through the game yet so I can't say if it is good or bad but I refuse to give up. I WILL figure it out and learn the game. If I would have given up so easily on X3: Reunion I would have missed out on one of the best game series I have ever played. The open ended space sandbox is just too good to just give up on without giving it a real try.

Bardicheart

Bardicheart avatar
Posted 6 years ago.

My personal observation is that all the X games are pretty complex. These aren't games you just jump into. That can be both good and bad, and is. Its bad in that in increases the learning curve and means there needs to be a lot of in game guides/tutorials (which Egosoft seems terrible at doing), but in the end it also means you have a more nuanced. complex and open game (or can have, if they finish stuff).

I was playing, I guess, slowly through the main campaign. I didn't rush from one mission to the next and instead was having a bit of fun just exploring, poking around, and seeing how some things worked. I tried mapping out "sectors" to see what was there, and getting used to the new "maps". I also spent quite a lot of time poking around stations and walking away with assorted loot. That turned out to be pretty profitable as in the 25.2 hrs that I did play I had earned well over 10 mil just from loot I found on stations and stuff I was able to craft (I found plenty of scrap metal this way which got turned into a nice pile of metal alloy, crafting narcotics turned out to be less profitable it was generally better in my xp to just sell what I found ASAP). In the process I got quite good at the chat "mini-game" and earned the Smooth Talker achievement (several times over if it had counted it). Overall I thought that was an okay idea except they probably should have steered clear of the racism topic (stuff like that these days tends to be too volatile in real life I think so it invites "baggage" into the game that can put some people off). Besides, someone blathering about "slimy green lizard things" while sitting at a table having a drink next to a Teladi is just... ???

So by the time I got to the gate I had upgrade my shields to Dasher Mk3s, a faster engine (forget which one but I think my top end was around 280m/s or something which by X3 standards is pretty good), several different guns (wasn't a fan of the single gun option, I missed my Hyperion Vanguard with its ISRs and HEPTs; still one of my fav ships though the Acinonyx was giving it some competition).

Like you, I just don't get the deal with the pilots. I mean this could have been an area where they developed the game and added some new dimension, instead it feels like they started to do something here and then just never finished it. For example, as apparently many do, when playing X3:AP early in the game I had a veritable junk yard of salvaged ships floating in space in Antigone Memorial where I had more or less made my "home". I would, when I didn't feel like doing other stuff, work on repairing them and then sell them off for extra proffitttsss (I really should start playing Teladi). Eject into space, float over, wedge down the key for my repair laser (which I always thought was silly) and go make a sandwich. LOL At one point I even got a Teladi trading station and named it Paddy's Salvage Yard. As I said, from what I've read this is a fairly common thing among X3 players. So why couldn't they have built on that? Example: First, you claim a ship by sending a pilot over as it is now... that part is fine. Now you haul the ship back somewhere, either a spot in space or a station (land it at a station and you can recover your pilot but the ship can't take off again without another pilot). Once landed or whichever you can work on repairs or if you have an engineer assign them to do so for you. Repairs by the player becomes a skill based activity. In space or on a station your character "works" on the ship (cut scene animation of some sort) for X amount of time. A skill check vs your engineering skill is made to see how much you got done (you repaired the hull by 8%, hull integrity now 47%). Rinse and repeat until repaired to whatever point you want. For an added level of complexity, require materials to make each repair attempt. Scrap metal, metal alloys, etc. which get used up in each attempt, higher skill makes this more efficient (you can repair more with less material). You could perhaps "rent" space on a station where you store these ships until you sell them or put a pilot in them or whatever you choose to do with them (and this coincedentally becomes your "home base" until you can afford to build your own station). The potential for that is there and it could have been an interesting part of the early game giving it more depth... instead we got what we got, which wasn't much.

Similarly, I think a lot more could have been done to make station visits more interesting with more variety. I never got to see what the interior of a capital ship is like (other than the freighter which seemed like a station which was disappointing in the lack of creativity) but I would hope they'd noted some of the complaints / suggestions regarding ship interiors in SWtOR and improved on that. I don't know if there's a point in getting into how I think it might be improved. If they really want to look at an example of crafting ships / ship interiors for player owned ships, my recommendation is to go all the way back to Star Wars Galaxies which did a very good job (and one I've rarely seen equaled). Also, look at the TV series Firefly for how well thought out that ship and its interior was (did you know there was actually a full scale mock up with the interior). That sort of ship design sitting at a dock, with its means of landing, entry and egress would have fit very well in to XR I think.

I was happy to see there were more tutorials, but sadly as you point out there wasn't nearly enough to cover all the critical info. Again, this was part of why I spent time just flying around exploring, experimenting and learning. Here again, I found myself turning to this site to fill the gaps in information.

As for the black void, I didn't skip any cut scenes either (being brand new to the game I wanted to see them, just to see what there was to see if nothing else), so I've no idea. Apparently there are still a lot of bugs.

I'll admit I found myself laughing at myself over how much this game reminded me of Freelancer. Its ironic because I've been one of those searching for an heir to that old gem for a very long time. An here I found myself in a game that was eerily similar. Yisha reminds me so much of Junco, spacelanes = space highways, even the plot seemed familiar (so your flying around with this vaguely Asian brunette who gets you involved in bigger things and you end up an enemy of factions you used to be friendly with and then the two of you must venture into new territory in search of... yup, sounds familiar LOL). And that's when I just had to laugh, someone finally gave me what I asked for... literally. Which is when you realize you didn't literally want a remake of Freelancer, but rather a game that captured all the same essential elements it had (immersive and large universe, trade, a functional economy), and you also realize we've all moved well beyond Freelancer and we want so much more now.

In the end I think I was most frustrated just by how much potential I saw in this game to be what I really did want... but it always fell short of the mark. Like watching a runner start a marathon, do well to begin with, get within the last km to the finish line and then they just quit. You want to smack them and yell FINISH IT!

To be honest, it seems like they (Egosoft) have a serious problem with first impressions. My first run through of X3:TC resulted in a pretty bad review from me on Steam. And I still hate that stupid sodoku puzzle, and that is still a vast understatement of my feelings regarding it. But, after feeling kinda a bad about being so harsh, and also a lot of reading on the wiki and here at Roguey's (BTW if you read this, thank you for this site and all the info Roguey) and since I also had AP as part of a bundle I bought, I gave it a try. And I like it. It ain't perfect and there's still stuff that annoys me, but overall, I've had fun with it. But that is at least as much due to all the info others provided and figured out about the game as it is to things Egosoft improved and fixed, an they really ought to consider that as well.

Ah well, whatcha gonna do. Least I got to vent a bit. Thanks for reading.

Now to go cue up Meatloaf, Life is a Lemon (and I Want My Money Back) cause... LOL

parulfojii

parulfojii avatar
Posted 5 months ago.

I am really disappointed that I couldn't play it as I wanted. The second thing that I was disappointed was that there isnt much help about the game. I cant blame much the devs thought cause there are many ppl who dont like spoilers. myindigocard
jjsploit download

Shi_Man

Shi_Man avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 5 months ago.

Somewhat I can agree as well. Even now I need a ton of mods, to have fun from X:R.

« 1 2 3

You need to log-in to post here.