Give up on this game.

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Give up on this game.

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 9 years ago.

Hello Roguey.

This is just a quick thread stating my opinion to your recent post, about whether to abandon this game or not.

Yes. Simplest way to put it, yes. I feel you should. Pre launch-launch-post launch everything about this game has been disappointing. It has taken half a year for Egosoft to get this game into the condition it should of been released in, and it is missing many of the key features that made the X-games.

Quite frankly this game is a mess. I believe Egosoft are in a dire financial situation, released it unfinished, and have lost their vision.

Will this game get better? Yes! But that's not saying much. And it's years in the making.

Give up on this game, focus your attention on more worthy space titles.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

+1

Also, Egosoft needs to scrap it and move on as well

and screw all those DBs who are on the Egosoft forums saying they don't care that you left and people will replace you. They are insane

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 9 years ago.

hi there, well according to Bernd himself its took around 7-8 years for X-Rebirth to reach this level of development. I have been in XR development for around a year; during this time I havnt seen a big change in XR. Sure, there are fixes here and there, a few graphical changes but the same game has been like this for a year now. Id hope after 6 months after release there would of been more changes, not just fixes and some additions.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

hi there, well according to Bernd himself its took around 7-8 years for X-Rebirth to reach this level of development. I have been in XR development for around a year; during this time I havnt seen a big change in XR. Sure, there are fixes here and there, a few graphical changes but the same game has been like this for a year now. Id hope after 6 months after release there would of been more changes, not just fixes and some additions.
- Roguey

At this point I don't know what is worse... the Game or the PR after the game.

More people got banned on bith ES forums and Steam today... all of them people who disliked the game.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

More people got banned on bith ES forums and Steam today... all of them people who disliked the game.
- BarrenEarth

It would be interesting to hear from them.

grindleader

grindleader avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 9 years ago.

More people got banned on bith ES forums and Steam today... all of them people who disliked the game.- BarrenEarth
It would be interesting to hear from them.
- Roguey

If he is referring to the bans around the first of May, then I would be one of those who got banned in case you are interested.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Roguey send me an email or a PM... you are looking at one.

Adjoint

Adjoint avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

I joined XR a few weeks ago. I also bought X3 AP too but the quality of graphics made stop it after 8 hours of play. I cant say that I saw any bug and it seems to be a very good game but I wish it had the graphics of XR. yes I know XR is a much newer game. I really loved the idea of becoming an empire builder on XR and parallely do trades and missions. I liked the plot and I was happy when I finished it. I must say that I was 1 of the few lucky ppl who finished it without many problems. After that I tried to make 2 stations but loads of bugs came up. I am really fed up editing again and again the XML file and search around internet for solutions. Can I add "XML editor expert" at my CV ? really lol and rofl Smile

I am really disappointed that I couldn't play it as I wanted. The second thing that I was disappointed was that there isnt much help about the game. I cant blame much the devs thought cause there are many ppl who dont like spoilers.

Now I am trying to find a game like XR. Build empire (stations/trades) and do missions etc paralelly.
No idea what will happen with SC and what what ppl told me at ED forum , u cant build stations in ED.
I play Eve Online since 2004 but I would like to c a single player version of it.

If anyone finds a game with graphics like XR or better that can become empire builder and it does not have so many bugs plz let us know Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

I think you're find the lack of information is because a lot of supporters have simply moved on. I hanged around an extra year to give them more of the benefit-of-the-doubt but after all that time not much improved.

The launch of the game was terrible, the game had so many bugs for some couldnt even start. Although this wouldnt of been as bad if the game under all the bugs was actually any good. After all this time its oblivious that this is how Egosoft wanted XR to be, even if a lot of people call it terrible (3.2-3.3 on metacritic).

I found station building in XR; confusing, broken and not worthwhile. I think the whole game was over-engineer and turned into something more complexed than it should (like trading), and ultimately didnt work.

Maybe things have changed since I last looked at it, but I cant think much.

ps. I didnt think the graphics of XR was that great either. On platforms it looked ugly, space was better but nothing ground breaking.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

I joined XR a few weeks ago. I also bought X3 AP too but the quality of graphics made stop it after 8 hours of play.

- Adjoint

I have had quite different experience than you have had but I have never played XR in campaign-mode and therefore I have not played it after plot has been finished. To me campaigns are more like a tutorials and the game itself is a free-mode.

The game has improved a lot and personally I have only one problem left that I'm waiting to be fixed. I have played a little over 200h now. Egosoft has been very active making the game better and interactive with the community. The community seems to be as strong as "advertised" and didn't destroyed because of hard time and problems - just like for example football club fans. It was nice to see.

Graphics are important but I still would give X-series a try. It is quite common that more complex games has no good graphics; UrW, Drawf Fortress, grand strategy games, X series, manager games, etc. I guess the reason is that they don't actually need very good graphics.

Unfortunately I don't think there are many, if any, space empire building games like X-series. Star Citizen will have some kind of factory business going on but I'm not sure if you are able to build them by yourself.

Sparks

Sparks avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

I joined XR a few weeks ago...I liked the plot and I was happy when I finished it. I must say that I was 1 of the few lucky ppl who finished it without many problems. After that I tried to make 2 stations but loads of bugs came up. I am really fed up editing again and again the XML file and search around internet for solutions. Can I add "XML editor expert" at my CV ? really lol and rofl

I am really disappointed that I couldn't play it as I wanted. The second thing that I was disappointed was that there isnt much help about the game. I cant blame much the devs thought cause there are many ppl who dont like spoilers.

- Adjoint

Welcome to Rebirth, Adjoint - glad you enjoyed the plot and congrats for completing it. During my last play through with Rebirth 3.20 I found the fight at the end with all the Xenon fighters and capitals, alongside the HoA and DV ships to be really good fun Smile

3.50 beta just arrived and as well as having lots of changes I asked and wished for (e.g. maps showing objects that are in range of our property's radar), we also gained Dev support for modding the UI via the Egosoft forum and a dedicated bugtracker.

Draft 3.50 beta change log:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=355582

Sorry to hear you had problems with station building. I've built a few without issue but I've not built every station and I may have been relatively lucky. If you created any threads/posts on the Egosoft forum describing your situation and the issues experienced, please link them and I'll take a look to see if I can provide tips. If not, feel free to create one there as there are lots of experienced current players there who may be able to help.

Regards,
Sparks

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 8 years ago.

I put off buying it for quite a while. Eventually had a copy purchased for me Xmas 2014 but put off playing it until now. Initially disappointed but once you get your head round the fact it's more like Freelancer than a previous X game I have started to make some headway. The main plot is perhaps a bit too much in your face as you really do need to go off at quite an early stage and start doing side missions or scavenging resources to upgrade Skunky. So it's not all bad though that view may change if I hit major bugs or unplayable sections of the plot later on, though hopefully by this stage that has all been ironed out...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

yea, I would of thought most of the big bugs would of been fixed by now, surely?

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Ha, well... you would have thought. However, it seems my optimism might have been short lived. Just hit the dreaded "300 Food" haulage mission and, sure enough, the construction vessel has docked (after taking about 15 minutes real time to do so as Ego kindly removed SETA)but now just sits there with a "loading freight" message in the info window.

I can't jump back to Albion and see if that resets things, as Plutarch just spam ships and missiles which take down my L3 shield in a few seconds.

I'm going to go back in briefly to see if reloading a save game has reset things, but sitting around looking at the PC screen for 20 minutes waiting for something to happen, isn't my idea of fun.

Update/Edit - That seems to have done the trick and CV now undocked. Will see if it unloads at destination!

Further Update: Although the CV can load cargo, seemingly it cannot unload at the destination, or so the red text tells me - "Uhh?" comes to mind on that one. Now trying again with the Rahanas but in the meantime it seems Egosoft forgot to build in any means of transferring or simply dumping cargo from the NPC player fleet. The CV will be forever flying round with its load of decaying meat Smile .

Sparks

Sparks avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Historically, the CV was often used as a default trading ships because it has good speed and defenses, can jump, and is way-under-priced compared to comparable trading ships. A while ago, Egosoft addressed this by blocking the ability to sell goods with CVs (an alternative being to increased costs, raising the barrier to station construction).

Off the top of my head, I cannot remember if CVs are intended to be able to buy goods still or not (they might be, in order to not impact on using a CV to fill up on station materials before construction), or whether the Freight Transfer command can be used with CVs (worth a try if not tried yet).

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Decided to start over with the main campaign, as it became apparent by the middle section that you need a minimum of around 20 million credits to subsidise the cost of building the URV Forge, then the URV Wharf. Actually more like 50 million including upgrades to the Skunk and buying cargo ships, etc. Not enough work in De Vries to come anywhere close to that. Albion space pretty much off limits due to Plutarch hostility, you just get missile spammed or tagged wherever you go and Omicron Lyrae/Maelstrom still not open.

I reckon it will still be a struggle to earn that much at the outset but as I don't want to cheat the money in, seems the only way. Economic simulation way off centre, IMHO.

Edit: Have discovered what is almost an exploit - but legitimate and built in! Buying or collecting 1000 scrap metal for around 10000 credits, craft into a piece of alloy that sells for @600,000 credits!

1 2 3 »

You need to log-in to post here.