X3 Rebirth expectations and more

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » X3 Rebirth expectations and more

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

I have not yet played the XRM mod, I really don't like heavy modding, other than the mosquito defense script and carrier commands I never really wanted a modded game.

I follow a pretty standard philosophy, if it isn't worth my money to play it vanilla, then it isn't worth my money.

It is sad that we as a community has accepted the mantra of "vanilla sucks" and mod the crap out of these games. I know why people do it and that is their choice, but supporting a company that makes a game that one must feel the need to completely change is kinda silly.

I don't mean to promote piracy, but if I have to mod the crap out of a game to enjoy it, I sure as heck am not going to pay a company to then get the honor of fixing their game.

Anyways, I agree with the above, we need to have very low expectations, like original X:BTF expectations...

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

One more comment about navigation and the 'one large area' space vs. 'multi-sector' space:

Without gates/jumpdrives, the game could be something like one solar system (e.g the terran solar system in AP/TC without trans-accelerators), as (you know) navigation between different stars could take 1000s or millions of light-years. But Ego's X-Universe is a galaxy-wide universe with alien races.

But the other type of space games focuses on real simulation/physics rather than Sci-Fi, that's why I asked a question before that if any developer could take that path. And this doesn't really challenge Egosoft, as both types of games are really good. That's at least what I (:wall) think.

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
jaml

jaml avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 11 years ago.

There is as much MOD fans as opponents.
I would rather play new X in vanilla.
I follow a pretty standard philosophy, if it isn't worth my money to play it vanilla, then it isn't worth my money.

Simple question: Lets asume that the whole game is excelent with 1 exeption, for example: 1 ship for player thing.
Would You go MOD version or just not play at all?

Raptor, I think that X are already too complex to fit all in one solar system. And about Sci-Fi / realism - its a hard chice. Im huge fan of physics and advenced math, but in this special case (x universe) (IMO) it isnt good idea. We want (in some way) the X to be spectacular. We love great battles, lasers etc... So there is a question: how much of good achievements that X is already have will be changed / removed / lost. And keep in mind that not all ppl out there like math & physics (for some of them its like black magic Cry ) But maby Im wrong Wink

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...
Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

This wasn't exactly what I mean, I edited the last post, excuse my english, and I do love the X-Universe. Smile

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

@jaml

If it was that big of a deal to me then no I wouldn't play. I think 1 player ship only is a huge change, and if I can't get my head around that then I would not play.

However, if I waited for the game to go bargain bin 75% off at steam (and it would if it ticked off enough people) and then got the game, I would consider using a mod to make the game better.

Like I said, I won't pay for the pleasure to mod a game, but if I can get it for free or close to it, then I am out nothing.

jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

@BarrenEarth
I just hope all of us will find this "something" in new X Smile
Maby You're right, 1 ship thing is huge change - maby linking it to the VR (also new thing) will result as a supprise in good way Smile Im not totaly pesimistic. But I also wish that 1 ship thing can be moded. We all got used to x freedom (including choice of ship that we fly in) so this "fear" can be overgrow but it is justified.

@raptor
Ohhh, ok sorry ;p (maby I didnt read your post as carreful as I should)

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...
BorisHristovStoychev

BorisHristovStoychev avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 11 years ago.

For me the single most important thing is to fix the AI. I don't want to receive messages saying that my freighter has been killed by an asteroid, or a gate, or my station. I don't want to set a "collect wares" command and then watch my ship fly around the ware forever. I don't want to NEED to be OOS, in order for my other ships to behave properly (docking, collecting wares, etc.). The bad AI in AP is almost sucking the fun out of the game, for me personally.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

I hate to dumb down the game, but I think collision avoidance sucks in X games for as much processing power they devote to it. Personally, I think if the ship has shield, they should bounce, but not take damage.

I don't wanna hear anything about lore... mass drivers go right through shields, but asteroids or debris has to chew the shield first, so there already isn't any lore.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

For me the single most important thing is to fix the AI

I dont think the AI used to be that bad (in older games), but with each game - ego have add more and more to each sector, to the point that the AI really struggles to get around it. With the amount of stuff in a sector now, the AI needs to be a lot more reactive, otherwise like you said - crash. In the earlier x's I bet you didnt used to loose too many ships to the AI, there was less to smack into.

One more comment about navigation and the 'one large area' space vs. 'multi-sector' space:

Whatever way you put it, space is one large area. Ego could use 'roads' to get us to certain places, however we should be able to go 'off-road' and go where we like (its space after-all). Off-road would be slower but you should be able to reach same place. Equally bigger ships (such as capitals) should be able to enter their own 'space-lanes', a warp-tunnel as such. It would be good if we could finally play a space-game and not be forced into 'sectors' or 'areas'.

it is sad that we as a community has accepted the mantra of "vanilla sucks" and mod the crap out of these games.

I guess its a double-edged sword; since we got the ability to edit the game. However if we didnt, then would we put-up with its down-falls more?

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

"I guess its a double-edged sword; since we got the ability to edit the game. However if we didnt, then would we put-up with its down-falls more?"

Well I really really appreciate the hard work people like you and Cycrow and Appricot and others have done with the X Games. I just think Egosoft gets off too easy. We are doing the hard work for them. They don't even have to do a legitimate plot anymore.

Oh well. I am getting tired of trying to wrap my head around what they are going to give us.

jaml

jaml avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I think both vanilla and moded game have their bright and dark sides. For example, "pure" X:AP is much more balanced than XRM, however personaly I like bounty system, more ships, xenon/kha'ak/pirates hostility in XRM. I try to explain why. After completing main plot in vanilla there is not much to do - of course player can buid and expand his empire... but what for? For more credits in his account or more and more factories ? (i have 2b600k+ credits, 5 very large complexes, some smaller, very big fleet - I can easy wipe out random selected race form universe, lots of sector and CLS traders and; for fleet im building my own ships, shields, weapons so I dont need to buy them from NPCs; also 3 Cobras each with 20 marines trained to max so I can cap any ships in universe - what now?) My point is that at this level of playing game can not offer me anything more.

But I do agree with BarrenEarth, and I dont understand the policy of Ego. If they think that givin possibility to mod a game release them from responsibility for this game, they are wrong. And nothing good will come of it.

So in X:R i really hope to see very big plot line, with a lots of variables.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

well over the years, the plot has never been ego's strength Smile

although saying that, over the x-games they seem to be advancing the plots.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

I think both vanilla and moded game have their bright and dark sides. For example, "pure" X:AP is much more balanced than XRM, however personaly I like bounty system, more ships, xenon/kha'ak/pirates hostility in XRM. I try to explain why. After completing main plot in vanilla there is not much to do - of course player can buid and expand his empire... but what for? For more credits in his account or more and more factories ? (i have 2b600k+ credits, 5 very large complexes, some smaller, very big fleet - I can easy wipe out random selected race form universe, lots of sector and CLS traders and; for fleet im building my own ships, shields, weapons so I dont need to buy them from NPCs; also 3 Cobras each with 20 marines trained to max so I can cap any ships in universe - what now?) My point is that at this level of playing game can not offer me anything more.

But I do agree with BarrenEarth, and I dont understand the policy of Ego. If they think that givin possibility to mod a game release them from responsibility for this game, they are wrong. And nothing good will come of it.

So in X:R i really hope to see very big plot line, with a lots of variables.
- jaml

Exactly... Once you reach the point where you can buy anything and destroy everything... what is the point. Start over and do it again? I can only do that so many times.

Now if the AI had other "players" that competed against me, ganged up on me or wanted me to help them, and the universe was a little dynamic like a race starts stealing other race sectors... that would give me a little more incentive to keep peace in the universe or obliterate millions of Boron.

There simply is no end game because the main game is a series of random, reoccuring and predictable scripts.

Civ 5 is an example of a game that can never be played the same twice. Even Pirates by Sid Meier allows the end game player to shape and reshape the game world.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I guess that's true, you reach a point (defined by yourself) and think what else is there to do. For me its usually when I get an m2, has I know I could pretty much win every 1 vs 1 - like you said the ai isn't aggressive enough. It used to help when you had random khaak spawns; sometimes you would find them in all Kinds of manor of places. Plus the beam weapon removed some of the advantage you get.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Can we talk again about the 'one player ship'? Does it means that AI/NPCs will be intelligent/smart enough to do almost all the work for us?

But I think there will be equal chances in combat (and that would be challenging) as our ships are NPC-controlled and so as the enemy ships, and the difference will be in the overall power of the fleets.

And for discovering, the player ship seems to be a corvette, but we need the fastest ships for that? I don't understand Smile

However I guess the next games (after Rebirth, if any) will not be 'one player ship' maybe, but its just a guess. Confused

« 1 2 3 »

You need to log-in to post here.