Egosoft and the Ban-Hammer of pain

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Egosoft and the Ban-Hammer of pain

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

So I got banned for "breaking the rules" which many people do every day. My only real offense was the honest and open criticizing of Rebirth and the direction of Egosoft as a company. They ban me, also lock me from my account and any portion of the website.

So after reading all the posts lately on the forums through a proxy, I start to notice that there are a lot more people cropping up who are critical of the game. Those people tend to post a couple times, then disappear. So I ask myself, I can't be the only one they are banning when they see discontent about their game. Seems their fuse is quite short now days. So I decide to do some research...

Appears about 3 years ago Egosoft banned the guy who runs Space Sim Central... yeah the largest gaming forum about space sim PC games in the world... http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic/1299-banned-from-egosofts-forums/

Really? a bit arrogant aren't we? So what are they going to do when Rebirth comes out, all those pre-sales of people who are deluding themselves into thinking there are things in the game that really aren't going to be there... Lots of angry people.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hey barren,

Well... I did read through some of your posts on the ES boards, and I think I might know why. I dont think it was to do with your comments about the game to be honest. However, on the official ES boards their are loyal ES fans - who will defend ES/their games regardless. So when you started saying what you didnt like something, one of them would take it personal, and so would leap to ES defence. This would shortly turn into a heated debate, with some harsh words being exchanged. Now ES oblivious seen posts go way off topic and turn into a flame-wars, so they lock it before it gets too bad. ie. often you were the lit-match in a room of gas.

as for Space Sim Central guy; I dont know why he got banned, so I cant really comment on that. However I do find it a odd he didnt even bother to ask why; like he was arrogant to ask (all it would take is one email). Ive never had a problem asking them a question. Most likely the ban was mistake and someone just clicked the wrong button? maybe did something much worse?

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

He probably emailed them, just as I have. There is no response at those emails. They are too busy trying to make their game run in time for release LOL

And it isn't so much that I don't know why I got banned, but rather why the rules were applied to me and some of the other people who dislike the game more harshly than those who support it. There is a guy on ES forums right now that is calling everyone who wants to wait to pre-purchase Rebirth an "idiot" or "stupid" right now, no one cares.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

I've also finally quit the ES boards, although nothing to do with flame wars or Rebirth. I simply got fed up with the sheer stupidity and arrogance of some other posters.

But yes, Ego (or at least the moderators on their forums) have been very quick to ban folks over the last few years, often (in my opinion) without significant reason, or any justification at all. It seems almost as though they're operating a 'step off the line and you're gone' policy. Which is very, very sad, when you consider that I've always believed the ES community to be one of (if not THE) friendliest on the web.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I've also finally quit the ES boards, although nothing to do with flame wars or Rebirth. I simply got fed up with the sheer stupidity and arrogance of some other posters.

But yes, Ego (or at least the moderators on their forums) have been very quick to ban folks over the last few years, often (in my opinion) without significant reason, or any justification at all. It seems almost as though they're operating a 'step off the line and you're gone' policy. Which is very, very sad, when you consider that I've always believed the ES community to be one of (if not THE) friendliest on the web.
- Kirlack

Agreed 100%, compared to Eve Online the ES forums are My Little Pony style :p

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

@BarrenEarth It's better that way......... I love opinions ..... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then make my own mind up (Informed is sometimes MUCH preferable to a stab in the dark)....... thanks for the guides/info, folks!

I am an Alien!
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

AND IT BEGINS

The forums over on Egosoft are starting to get pelted with people who were unimpressed by the demo and angry the more info comes out.

I don't think egosoft had that strict of an NDA, I think they wanted to keep the game quiet as long as possible because they knew the fan base would be pissed. Eek

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

Yeah, I spent the afternoon catching up on some of those posts. I stand by my opinion: Egosoft have well and truly blown it. Sad days indeed Cry

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

hmm.. I see what you mean on the ES forums, there are a few posts which are worried about things. I wouldnt say they been pelted with people at the moment although Barren. Ive seen a lot worse; when EA screwed-over the C&C series (they basically destroyed the whole community). EA never listened to the community (which was massive many years ago). I remmeber a gamespot reviewer simply walking out of the press-room because things were that bad (with C&C4).

The demo at gamescom was just one area with was god-mod enabled (so in all fairness it was more of a tech-demo than anything else).

Hopefully soon I might be able to shed some light on things and clear-up some mus-understandings/false rumours.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

It would be worse if there werent members removed as soon as they post something negative about the game.

I don't see this going in a good direction for ES, the forums will only be filled by more angry people as more find out info and those who pre-order feel misled.

Unfortunately there are a number of posters on that site posting blatantly false pipedreams about what will be in the game or what they think will be added later. Egosoft is not going to let us command capitals directly, they aren't going to give us more player ships, they aren't going to rewrite drone code and they aren't going to bypass the plot... sorry

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Unfortunately there are a number of posters on that site posting blatantly false pipedreams about what will be in the game or what they think will be added later. Egosoft is not going to let us command capitals directly, they aren't going to give us more player ships, they aren't going to rewrite drone code and they aren't going to bypass the plot... sorry

Probably the 4 points that I worry about most too. I didnt find capital ships boring to use; okay they took awhile to get somewhere but when they did, there were a lot of fireworks. It wasnt like I was doing nothing either, as I could help avoid the incoming fire, and lock-on to targets (for the front guns).

drones confuse me atm, its like they are trying to be extra ships.

as for the single player ship, I can partially understand; in previous game we got pilot 300-400 ships. It became more of a number, as each ship didn't really have an uniqueness - all what was different was the ships-nose in the view-point, weapons, shields and speed. But still, being able to swap ships was useful and allowed you play another 'way'. Maybe the swapping between ships could of been limited to 3 or 4 ships (like a M5, M4, M3 and a M6).

and for the plot, they hadnt been egosoft strong plot. Although ego have seem to got better doing them. X3AP plots didnt really have too many bugs compared to previous titles (unlike X3 plots, which were very buggy at release).

I guess there still time for things to change but I guess those points are set in stone.

AlexanderSziller

AlexanderSziller avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

Barren Earth, hello dude. Iam Earth Ultimatum IV. from the EgoSoft forums, you might remember me.

I have been wondering "where did this guy disappear?"
I don´t find it surprising that they banned you. I would do the same LOL

So much hate towards Rebirth, I´ve never seen that really.
At least it was "inteligent" hate. Not that "blind hate" that you see everywhere, for example on the Call of Duty forums, which sounds like "omg your sucks this game are crap gtfo naab".

Yes, there are many others who hate on the game, but nobody is doing it 24/7 like you did :p I dont remember a single topic where you haven´t been participating.

Still, good luck. However I absolutely believe that your hate will prove to be wrong Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

keep it clean guys, as I dont want it turning into another flaming match..

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Barren Earth, hello dude. Iam Earth Ultimatum IV. from the EgoSoft forums, you might remember me.

I have been wondering "where did this guy disappear?"
I don´t find it surprising that they banned you. I would do the same

So much hate towards Rebirth, I´ve never seen that really.
At least it was "inteligent" hate. Not that "blind hate" that you see everywhere, for example on the Call of Duty forums, which sounds like "omg your sucks this game are crap gtfo naab".

Yes, there are many others who hate on the game, but nobody is doing it 24/7 like you did I dont remember a single topic where you haven´t been participating.

Still, good luck. However I absolutely believe that your hate will prove to be wrong Shooting weed & booze smugglers, annoying Borons, ignoring Paranids and being a Xenophile since year 2004.

- AlexanderSziller

No I don't particularly remember you in any context that has to do with me. I haven't posted on those forums since they banned me months ago, there is no need its just constant bickering. I can still see the ES forums and can see you are very optimistic about this game. I fear you will be in for a huge disappointment.

Don't forget there are a lot of devnet members on this site, I was one of them before my ban. Some of the people over there telling you to tone it down... yeah, them too.

AlexanderSziller

AlexanderSziller avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

Ahhh nope. Those features Iam talking about are great, but I have no problem if they won´t be present in the game. Smile But it would be really nice to see them, thats why Iam collecting all info available.

I also sent the NDA contract, but haven´t got it yet. And they said that "we have too many requests now, so we will get a pause and procces them after release". Such a shame.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Well I agree with them, it is a bit late for new testers now (devnet testing has been open for 7/8+ months). So take on ones now may be in-it for a free game too.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.