Some Questions about Roguey's X3R mod...

Home Board Index » Roguey's X3 Mod » General » Some Questions about Roguey's X3R mod...

Zyhark

Zyhark avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 11 years ago.

UPDATED: So, I have a couple things I'm wondering about.

First, I found an abandoned ship (Caiman freighter) and I'm unable to claim it via the "eject, approach and hit claim ship button" method. Is this because I need the salvage claim software?
To be precise, this isn't a ship that "would" have been the result of the BBS mission: http://roguey.co.uk/x3/mod/spoilers/abandoned.php
EDIT: Just checked and the ship "has" a pilot, but is not moving and isn't affiliated to any race/faction (aka seems to be an abandoned ship). I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that this was done on purpose to "force" you to claim it with the software instead of the old fashioned way.
EDIT #2: Found a post saying that you can't claim anything in the game bigger then an M3 in vanilla. Now I'm guessing this excludes those free ships that are part of vanilla (like the Toucan Vanguard or the Express Hauler). So although I can't afford the salvage claim software just yet, I'm going to assume that this is indeed what I need and leave the Caiman alone for now. Would be nice to have a confirmation from someone though.

Secondly (posted below but reposting here), If I take over a pirate sector, say Split Fire for example, will pirates come and try to reclaim it? Or will it belong to me forever? By this I mean that if I use the "claim sector" that's in Roguey's mod. I'm wondering what would happen if I left a sector I claimed undefended. I'm assuming that for the other non-pirate factions, they would retaliate and try to take it back, but would be nice to know if that's truly the case as well.

Thanks in advance for the info, and as always, great mod Roguey.

PS: I'm sorry if this was covered somewhere on these forums. I searched for some answers but didn't find any.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

hi there,

thanks for letting me know. hmmm... looking at the editor, it may look that ive missed placing the gate north to in Bandit Remnants. Its been such a long time since ive worked on the X3 Mod, so its unlikely there be any more updates to it. I did ask the community awhile back, and only a couple of people showed any interest. The X3 mod took a lot of time to do, and isnt something I want to get back into unless there is enough interest.

Zyhark

Zyhark avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

hi there,

thanks for letting me know. hmmm... looking at the editor, it may look that ive missed placing the gate north to in Bandit Remnants. Its been such a long time since ive worked on the X3 Mod, so its unlikely there be any more updates to it. I did ask the community awhile back, and only a couple of people showed any interest. The X3 mod took a lot of time to do, and isnt something I want to get back into unless there is enough interest.
- Roguey

Oh well. Not the end of the world I guess. I'll let you know if I find any more cases like this anyway, though I'd guess it's probably the only one. Otherwise someone would have said something.
Hopefully the pirate systems that I plan on taking over (around Pirate Utopia) are all there.
Other then that, great mod man. I'm really enjoying X3R again thanks to it. I didn't get X3TC cause I figured why bother when I got your mod Big grin

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

lol, thanks. Well I guess with the complexity of the mod im bound of missed a few things Smile

Zyhark

Zyhark avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

lol, thanks. Well I guess with the complexity of the mod im bound of missed a few things Smile
- Roguey

Hey Roguey, I got a question for you. IF I take over a pirate sector, say Split Fire for example, will pirates come and try to reclaim it? Or will it belong to me forever?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Like all x-games, unless you can transfer ownership of the sector to yourself then they will simply respawn after a set time.

Zyhark

Zyhark avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Like all x-games, unless you can transfer ownership of the sector to yourself then they will simply respawn after a set time.
- Roguey

But that's what I meant, if I use the "claim sector" that's in your mod. I'm wondering what would happen if I left a sector I claimed undefended, including if it was a pirate sector previously.

Zyhark

Zyhark avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Just in case no one noticed, check the first post. I updated it.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

oh right... okay..

well when you claim a sector, it says yours for good.

as for claiming ships; with the mod you can claim any ship with no pilot however you will to use the Salvage Claim software - which I think is sold at pirate bases (if I remember correctly).

Zyhark

Zyhark avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Actually I was only able to get it from the BBS at a pirate base. And as for the pilot/no pilot factor, well I'm guessing that it was a glitch in the AI or something, cause that Caiman wasn't claimable despite the fact that it was just sitting there not doing anything. I saw some other transport class ships with no race affiliation so I'm guessing they are "normal".

As for the claiming of sectors, well I gotta say I'm a little disappointed. I thought that I'd really have to defend systems from pirates (i.e. so that I don't lose them) but I guess there's harm in it with the way you designed it.
Maybe I'll try and take town some Teladi sectors later on and see what they do. At least they "should" try to fight back with a reasonable amount of force, unlike the pirates lol.

Now that I think about it, do you know if there's any way to rename a sector (at least once you've taken ownership of it)? Would be nice if I could rename Pirate Utopia to something else once I've captured it. If not, it's no big deal.

Zyhark

Zyhark avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Ok I've seen a lot of ships that are just idle in space, have no "race prefix" in the ships name (ex: instead of Argon mercury hauler, it's just "mercury" ), and "seem" like they are abandoned. But on further examination, they do indeed have a pilot. It's really strange.

I'm half tempted to attack one and see what happens. I shouldn't lose any recognition with any of the races, in theory. Also of note, the only cases I've seen like this have all been transport ships, and it's definitely something that I didn't see when I was playing X3R vanilla.

Anyone else seen this, or know whats up with this?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

hi,

well its not really possible to rename a sector, as it comes from a large language file inside the mod/main game, which gets loaded in by the game. There is no way to script sector name changes.

as for the claiming of sectors, well it was one of the last things I added to the mod before its more or less final version. I guess if it was added in earlier then I could of developed it more, however with fewer people taking interest into x3, it felt not so worthwhile working on the mod. Since then I worked on the TC and AP sites.

as for the idle ships, do they get moving after a set amount of time?

Zyhark

Zyhark avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Yeah it's understandable. At least I can claim sectors. It's something I wanted to be able to do the first time around but couldn't (without modding/starting a new game). And with those new pirate sectors you added that are all bunched together (near Pirate Utopia), it's the perfect spot to build all the factories I'll need for the production of ships/weapons/shields, not to mention where I'll put my HQ.

The idle ships stay idle for long periods of time, possibly forever. I'll have to go back to some of the sectors where I saw some later today and check to see if they are still there.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Oh, if you claim any sectors near the pirate bunch your bound to run into a few problems even with the sector claimed. There are a lot of roaming ships in that area. So whilst they wont fight you for the sector back, you will no doubt get attacked from roaming ships quite often.

Zyhark

Zyhark avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

What if I claim all of the pirate sectors in that area (or every single pirate sector). Would pirates still roam them? Would I have the same problem if I took over another race's sector?

Edit: I guess what I'm really asking is this: Will claiming a sector prevent the ships belonging to the previous owning race from spawning in said sector?

I'm more concerned about them being able to spawn in the sectors I claim, versus simply entering said sectors from elsewhere. If pirates are just going to fly from somewhere else and "roam" my territory, that's not a problem, as I can bottleneck the entry systems and prevent them from reaching my core systems where the factory complexes will be. However, if they retain the ability to spawn in a sector that I've claimed, then that could be a problem which might cause me to rethink my plans.

Oh btw, I rechecked a sector where there was one of those "idle" ships. It's still there, idle, even a few days later. It's pilot's name is Unknown Object, which I find really weird.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

well ive noticed sometimes vanilla games put ships that look either idle or with standard names. If there is not an increasing amount of them, I wouldnt worry about them to be honest.

as the pirates, it depends how each job is setup in the jobs files. Doing a quick look, it looks like some wont spawn, whilst some will spawn regardless of who owns the sector. However I would expect it not be quiet once you take over a sector. I tried to give the game a lot more going on.. and that what makes it very hard to know how it will play out, without actually doing it Smile

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.