Weapon Ranges

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Weapon Ranges

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I vaguely remember reading a thread on the X forums which mentioned pairing two different weapons together for a certain reason. One was a short range and one was rather long range, and the idea was putting them together would make the short range one more effective. For instance, partnering the PBE with the IPG (I want to strip shields) to make use of the IPG's significantly greater range. This idea sounds counter intuitive to me, so is there actually any merit to it that I don't understand or is it all hocum?

Also, if you're using two weapons on the main bank with different ranges and or projectile speeds, how does the autofire indicator cope?

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Wow. Now those are some good questions, let me see what I can do about it.

Ok here's the scoop on the first point. Let's say you pair a longer range weapon with PSG's on a turret on autofire. The advantage is the PSG's will open fire sooner because the longer range weapon has already been firing and is making the turret think its already in range. PSG wave is slow, so opening fire early can be advantageous. You'll hit the target with a number of additional shock waves. This is where I think this makes the most difference, but I suppose it will get other shorter range weapons to open fire sooner as well.

It sets the mark on the slowest weapon active in the current configuration, but in contrast, it specifies when you are in range by the longest range one, even if it isn't active in the current weapon configuration. So you can be told you are in range and not be able to hit anything.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

Ion Disrupter & Cluster Flak is the classic combo - the ID sparks off the extra projectiles in the CF and extends range.
Other combos exist because the the AI only fires when the target is in range for one of the weapon systems in a turret, if you stick a long range weapon in there the whole lot starts going off at long range, thus as the range closes you're already firing long before your opponent.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Rassyu

Rassyu avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 12 years ago.

well i cant anser the range question but i cant for the projectile speed one,the auto aim will set the mark on the slowest weapon,so what happends is that you're faster shots are in the same arc as the slower ones.you end up wasting more energy this way though.here is an example lets say you have some high energy plasma throwers paired with some phased repeater guns,now you start shoting the first 50 shots of the PRG will be wasted cuz they are shot to ahead of its target but shots 51+ are in the stream of the first few shots of the HEPT.

hope this makes sense to you,i have tried diffrent weapons paired togheter to see how the game handles it.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Ion Disrupter & Cluster Flak is the classic combo - the ID sparks off the extra projectiles in the CF and extends range.
- Ripskar

I'll have to try this with one of the few ships in Reunion that can use both mass drivers and ion disruptors. One mass driver to provide a 'leader stroke' and 7 ion D's to supply the lightning.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I never use different weapons on one set. For example in a fighter I always use max high energy plasma throwers. On on a cap max PPCs. I never mix, it is the best way for me.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Wow, thanks for such prompt answers. Especially for clearing up the autofire issue. It would explain why I missed so much with a HEPT/CIG combo on my centaur. I used to hover at maximum range whenever I could. Speaking of which, do you prefer to hover at long range and circle strafe to hit the target with continuous low damage, or make close pass attack runs and peel away to recharge?

Unfortunately it means that my understanding was wrong though if this only really applies to AI turrets and autopilot ships. I was trying to use these ideas to kit out the main array my shiny new Hyperion Vanguard, but for now I'll be piloting it myself. Since I'm not so sure any more in my load out choice, I'd appreciate it if someone could weigh in on that also.

Currently my idea is 4 CIGs and 4 PBEs in the main array (split into groups to switch from stripping shields to smashing hulls) and then PACs in all the turret slots. I used to use HEPTs on my centaur but they missed too frequently. I know using EBCs in the fore would be a good idea since it would save energy and the Hyperion has a good cargo space, but I don't have much experience with ammo weapons, nor a reliable supply of it.

The advantage is the PSG's will open fire sooner because the longer range weapon has already been firing and is making the turret think its already in range. PSG wave is slow, so opening fire early can be advantageous. You'll hit the target with a number of additional shock waves.
- PuppyOfWar

How does this affect OOS? Do the same rules still apply, or does the mechanism change due to the wave not actually being produced but merely estimated?

I'll have to try this with one of the few ships in Reunion that can use both mass drivers and ion disruptors. One mass driver to provide a 'leader stroke' and 7 ion D's to supply the lightning.
- PuppyOfWar

Why would someone chose to use Ion Disruptors and and the Mass Driver together? Surely if you're using the MD shields don't matter.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

How does this affect OOS? Do the same rules still apply, or does the mechanism change due to the wave not actually being produced but merely estimated?
- Seygantte

Mechanism changes; weapon ranges are treated as uniform, hits are automatic.

Why would someone chose to use Ion Disruptors and and the Mass Driver together? Surely if youre using the MD shields dont matter.
- Seygantte

For the fun of using the projectiles from the MD to allow the ion D's to arc between them and ultimately use the farthest projectile out to jump from there to a hostile target. The MD would only extend the ion's range, once shields are down you'd switch to a weapon like HEPTs.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I dont tend to mix weapons as if they short range weapon cant hit anything for awhile it waste weapon energy. Depends if you got it to spare. Also remmeber mixing weapons in a turret, will mean the turret will turn at the slowest weapon speed. ie. if you mix a IRE with a PPC, then it will move at the PPC speed.

I guess some mixtures might work well, that thing with the Ion sounds interesting, however if your using an IonD then you probably are trying to cap a ship? So mixing with a hull damaging weapon maybe not what you want.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I guess some mixtures might work well, that thing with the Ion sounds interesting, however if your using an IonD then you probably are trying to cap a ship? So mixing with a hull damaging weapon maybe not what you want.
- Roguey

Not necessarily. Could just be stripping shields off a number of targets. Also, if you are capturing, its good, because MD's are very light hull damage, lets you tune the hull to 87.5%. Then you just aim slightly off so the MD's miss but the ions still arc out and hit.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Not necessarily. Could just be stripping shields off a number of targets. Also, if you are capturing, its good, because MD's are very light hull damage, lets you tune the hull to 87.5%. Then you just aim slightly off so the MD's miss but the ions still arc out and hit.
- PuppyOfWar

Are we still talking about AI turrets here?

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Are we still talking about AI turrets here?
- Seygantte

No we're not. We're talking about the potential use of a projectile weapon like a mass driver along with ion disruptors on one's main guns to spit out a stream of objects that the ion D can use to arc.

You need to log-in to post here.