To AP or not to AP

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » To AP or not to AP

Sha1hulud

Sha1hulud avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 11 years ago.

The newest joy in my life is X3AP, though I have played several of the older games rather ineptly in the past. Having spent some time on Roguey's sites for both X3AP and X3TC, I am overcome with this this desire to play through X3TC as well in its entirety of plots.

The question is, is it worthwhile to backtrack and put some time into X3TC? Bear in mind, I have a limited aomount of time to put into this hobby!

Thank you all for your time! (Or not, if you don't actually open this thread.)

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm somewhat biased because TC is my favourite of the lot, although I don't actually own AP yet. That said, all I've read about AP suggets that while it improves on several aspects of gameplay, it lacks the sheer volume of content that kept me going back to TC for years. Also because of the constant war between Earth and the Commonwealth I hear it can get kind of boring.

So I'd recommend TC, every time.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

IMO, yes. I feel that you are completely missing the actual game by not playing TC.

Sha1hulud

Sha1hulud avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I guess the three real things that bother me the most about X3TC are the Hull Strengths, GUI -__-, and the added sectors in X3AP. I'm honestly scared about the hull strengths and the changes that invokes the most.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

What about the hull strength would make you play differently? are you running without shields? :P

But yea, the UI has improved a bit and the ability to fit multiple ships is nice. The new sectors isnt much of a big deal IMO. I like it in TC because there are more unknown sectors to play in. oh an another thing is fleet commands and that station building service is missing. but if you cant live without it, there are some good scripts on the egosoft forums. The station building service is available in TC but its not part of the bonus pack Cry

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

Definitely go back and do some X3TC. AP has some nice upgrades to it, but as has been stated earlier it's just too small. One plot and two mini plots pales in comparison to what TC has on offer. Give it a bash and complete at least one plot, and if you don't like it after that then at least you can say you gave it a chance.

Also because of the constant war between Earth and the Commonwealth I hear it can get kind of boring.
- Kirlack

Not particularly. If you don't want to get involved then you can just turn off the notifications in the gameplay menu and ignore it. You're not restricted to the war. It only takes place in about half a dozen sectors, and the rest of the universe functions much as the other X games. It's an optional bonus, not a core aspect of the game, and I'm never one to turn down a bonus. Imho the loss of the Kha'ak is worse than the war. I liked them.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Sha1hulud

Sha1hulud avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Though I may sound clueless, what are the differences in station building?

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

The bonus pack for AP adds the Hephaestus Corp. which for a small fee will build a list of stations for you and arrange them in a neat pattern for easy complexing. It doesn't exist in TC's bonus pack, and you must use unsigned scripts using the *modified tag.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

You don't need Heph Corp to make neat looking complexes. Just drop an advanced satellite and use the remote viewing feature to work out what gets placed where. I can build complexes with stations so close together using that method you couldn't fit the dorsal 'fin' of a Jaguar through the gap :p

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Well X3TC has the most plots lines, kind-of makes X3AP plots look very short.

Sector wise, well there isnt that much difference, yea a few sectors here and there but the general map isnt changed all that much. 90% is still the same, especially the left most sectors. A few gates on the right although work, unlike in X3AP.

As for hull values... well, depends. If your a reloader after any hull damage, then probably wont make any difference (ie. you move away when your shields are nearly down). If anything, it will be easier, as the same values are on the NPC ships. So once you got their shields down, their hull wont last that long (so they will be out quicker).

as for the GUI, I wouldnt say that vastly improved either, most of that is similar. There are no large sector maps in X3TC, but the rest of it is similar (if not the same), apart from no graphs either.

Well basically, there's more to do in X3TC, but less features. Very worthwhile to play.

You need to log-in to post here.