X3 AP Questions

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » X3 AP Questions

Pelligrino

Pelligrino avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 11 years ago.

So i've been playing for about a week. I spent the weekend holed up with my pc playing AP. I feel that I have grasped the basic concept but there is a TON for me to learn.

Is it normal for my SETA and Jumpdrives to break...like all the time? It has been incredibly costly replacing broken equipment.

Next, where in the world do I buy a jumpdrive? I cannot find one anywhere. I am kind of restricted to about 15 sectors...I can't get out. I have to go through grand exchange but I get attacked immediately upon entering which...creates a bit of a problem.

How do I increase Teladi rep? There are the ones that attack me in grand exchange.

It quite a while to kill things... I know my weapons aren't the greatest but I have no idea where to get some good ones at AND my weps tend to get destroyed from time to time.

In short, I'm pretty bad at this game as I look back at all my questions, but I love it and am having a swell time. I have done a ton of Google searches and I have come across this site several times, quite helpful! Thanks for any help I can get.

Sha1hulud

Sha1hulud avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 11 years ago.

Is it normal for my SETA and Jumpdrives to break...like all the time? It has been incredibly costly replacing broken equipment.
- Pelligrino

Are you either running into objects or are you taking hull damage? These are the only two reasons I can think of for why your ship equipment is getting destroyed. So no, it's not normal. :P

Next, where in the world do I buy a jumpdrive? I cannot find one anywhere. I am kind of restricted to about 15 sectors...I cant get out. I have to go through grand exchange but I get attacked immediately upon entering which...creates a bit of a problem.
- Pelligrino

If you don't mind using Encyclopedias, use Roguey's encyclopedia on this site to find all the stations where Jumpdrives are being sold.

How do I increase Teladi rep? There are the ones that attack me in grand exchange.
- Pelligrino

Are you sure that it's Teladi that are attacking you there? The North Gate in Grand Exchange leads to one of the most actively aggressive Xenon sectors, and those mofos shoot to kill.

It quite a while to kill things... I know my weapons arent the greatest but I have no idea where to get some good ones at AND my weps tend to get destroyed from time to time.
- Pelligrino

This is very circumstancial, and I see a trend forming here. When you are in combat, be sure you NEVER take hull damage, or you will end up spending a lot of money and time repairing and restoring. The weapons you are using depends on the type of ship you are utilizing. Tell what ship you are using and I can help you out with equipping.

Hope this helps!!!

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

As Sha1hulud said, upgrades usually only get damaged when you're colliding or taking fire with low or depleted shields. Get used to using strafe and changing your trajectory to dodge fire, and make sure you're using all the shields your ship can install.

If you're on the east side of Grand Exchange, then your closest jumpdrive will be at the Atreus HQ in the Boron sector Queens Harbour. The route is SSSWSS, and takes you mostly through Teladi territory. Teladi tend not to have an extensive military so this shouldn't be too bad if you're quick.

If you're on the west side of Grand Exchange, you'll want to head westwards to the Goner HQ in the Goner sector Elysium of Light. The route WWWNWN and is entirely through Argon territory, and the last two sectors are war zones so be prepared to sprint if you don't want a fight. The jumpdrive itself costs around 100k, and needs energy cells to jump sop visit a power plant first.

Grand exchange is renowned as a hazardous sector in X3AP and to be avoided until you're comfortable with fighting. The change from X3TC to this game is that a gate on the north side shut down and the Xenon migration routes have changed so they now come pouring out into Grand Exchange where they slaughter the less than militant Teladi. When you get happier with combat, you can use this to make the Teladi like you by attacking the Xenons.

Basically there are three ways of increasing rep with a race:
1. Doing missions from them
2. Trading with them
3. Attacking people they don't like while in their home sectors.

The first two are self explanatory, but the third relies on knowing who your race dislikes, and only counts if you're in their sector. I.e Argons hate the Terrans, but shooting Terrans in Mars will be ignored.

The problem is that being of the profiteering nature Teladi don't really dislike anyone, they're even on alright terms with the pirate factions. The only race they will engage is the Xenon.

When you post your ship type, also post your weapons and how much money you have to hand so we can help best.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Pelligrino

Pelligrino avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 11 years ago.

I've learned a whole lot today. I got my jumpdrive and I have been doing a TON of combat today. I am much more comfortable with it. I played a lot of Evochron Merc and I had to adjust to having IDS all the time. I was use to being able to use my inertia to do some pretty wicked flying in evo. I'm learning how to do that here now too =D.

My ship is now an elite and I have some better weps on there now. I've been just flying across the war zones now killing things for credits all day and it's racked me up a nice sum and gotten me more rep w/ the Argon (i messed up my Argon rep with the centaur and docking >.> ).

I want to make enough to buy a Minotaur but that is going to be a whiiiillee.

Thank you for the teladi tip. Both of your posts have been extremely helpful. I just deployed some lazer towers for a mission, hired a mammoth for that. Anyway I look forward to being a part of this site going forward. I have a lot of exploration to do.

Sha1hulud

Sha1hulud avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

With your Elite, I would aim for either Particle Accelerator Cannons, or Phased Repeater guns XD.

I want to make enough to buy a Minotaur but that is going to be a whiiiillee.
- Pelligrino

Before you start saving up for this sexy beast, I suggest you take the time to get a M3/+ class heavy fighter and a M6 class Corvette. For an M3+, if you can pull it off, I'd try to get a Xenon LX. If you can't capture one, aim for either a Nova Raider or a Mamba.

As far as M6's are concerned, I would just get a M6 Minotaur; it is very well rounded and significantly bigger and more powerful than any fighter you will have used before.

Pelligrino

Pelligrino avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 11 years ago.

How exactly do I capture a ship? That sounds like it could be awfully useful

Sha1hulud

Sha1hulud avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

To capture any fighter, you need to take down it's shields then once it is at 87% of it's hull integrity you get a small chance that the pilot will bail.

There are A LOT of attributes that contribute to your success rate. Since you are just starting, I would say to try to hit your intended enemy with as many weapons as possible at once; the huge loss of shielding and hull has a chance of scaring the bejesus out of the enemy pilots.

When a pilot is about to bail he/she will come on the Comm and tell you that they are giving up their ship. As soon as the Comm opens and they start talking, stop shooting at them or you might destroy the ship once they've already surrended.

Xenon, on the other hand, do not tell you they are bailing; the ship will just suddenly turn blue.

Once the pilot has bailed from the ship, you need to fly up to it and claim it as your own! To do that, once you are about 100m away, press Shift E to eject from your ship in a flight suit. Slowly, you can approach the other ship and claim it once you are within 25m of it. Congratulations, you will have now claimed your first ship.

*Check out the X-Universe forum on Egosoft.com for more detailed suggestions.*

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Bear in mind that not all ships can be captured in this fashion. This method is restricted to the fighter classes (M3, M4, M5), the M8 Bombers (though these will rarely bail) and the TP transport class. Attacking TPs can be a good way to quickly make money, as Duke runs pirate TPs through many sectors which make easy targets. you'll get a rep boost for killing them (except in Teladi space which is also where they're most common) and you may get the chance to capture one too, which you can either sell or have start your own trading operation. There are certain weapons that come with a better chance of making pilots bail. These tend to be rapid fire but low damage, as each hit has a chance of forcing a bail. Ion Disruptors* are a good choice, for instance. When claiming in your flight suit try using strafe to move around. It's quicker by far. For an alternative look at System Override Software and Software Signature Scrambler

For capital ships, M1, M2, M6, M7, and the TL and TM, you need to use marines. Each ship has a different degree of difficulty, the easiest being the TM. When you star boarding, do a bit of practice on these first because they have the least weapons to shoot at you, and only 2 decks. If you've got your eye on a Minotaur, that can launch boarding pods directly to your target and makes boarding operations much easier. However, if I were you I'd recommend getting on good terms with the Split and buying a Cobra instead. It's usually the favoured M7M due to its higher speed and its ability to mount Flaks in the rear turret.

For M6s I think that Sha1hulud meant Centaur, not a Minotaur. It's a good all round ship, like Argon ships tend to be. The king of M6 ships though is usually thought to be the Hyperion Vanguard, but this ship can't be bought and must be captured from the Paranid using the aforementioned marine boarding.

*@Roguey Typo on this page.

Sha1hulud

Sha1hulud avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Ty for the correction; I did mean Centaur! I personally, think the Heavy Nemesis is a great choice as well, but it is far pricey.

Pelligrino

Pelligrino avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 11 years ago.

Well I got my ass kicked when heading into Xenon territory. They sent 7 or 8 enemies @ me which I just cannot do. I took down a few in Teladi territory and they like me now ( yay ).

Sha1hulud

Sha1hulud avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Going out and trying new things, i.e. exploring the Xenon on your own, is a great way to learn and play this game. Expect to start many many new games if you get into this; especially since you can unlock new beginnings Wink

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Sounds like you got a lot of unique ship types to try before jumping into a Minotaur (M7M)... if anything M7M should be left until you got more experienced with the whole game, as M7M can look like a huge waste of cash at first. If you got a medium to large complex to support a M7M then the M7M can be very good (wiping out sectors). However without a complex backing up the M7M, then you will run out of ammo, and look very costly. The complex for a M7M isnt cheap either! This is why I said its best to leave M7M until you get used to the rest of the game.

The normal laser ships are much easier to get used to. The Elite is only M4+ right? Your first major ship will feel like the M6 or M6+ range. These will keep you going for a long time, whilst you work your way up-to a M7. Once you get a M7 then you're be using that a lot! I highly suggest you dont miss this landmarks.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well it really depends on how you intend to use your M7M. After I had finished the plots, and had my reward Centaur the first thing I did after that was buy a Cobra. To this day I still haven't build a support complex for it, because for the most part I don't use it as a combat ship. I use it in conjunction with my personal Hyperion (overtuned) for use in boarding operations. Once I locate a target, I jump the Cobra into the sector, and park it around 10-15km away just out of range so it doesn't get hit with collateral. Then I use my fancy flying skills to whittle down the target's shields, and then launch the marines from the Cobra (done quickly as I have it on the shift+1 window). Then to make sure they reach I'll spit wasps out of my Hyperion to distract turrets. To be honest I find this method much easier to board with than the method that involves kiting the target and keeping the shields down with flails. This way I can captures M2s and still have them at 100% hull at the end.

I do keep it stocked with 200 hammers, but I only ever use them if I'm on an assassinate mission with not enough time and it's an M1 or M2 like a Brigantine where I simply don't have the time to kill it with my Hyperion. Three barrages is more than enough to quickly take it out and costs what, 200k? If I'm getting paid 12mil, then it's a fair exchange.

drone_zero

drone_zero avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 11 years ago.

i find that missile spammage is rather good for staying alive. You just have to be prepared to spend the credits on the missiles. Use hurricanes on small (m4 / m5 ) ships, thunderbolts for m3s and hornets for anything bigger. When you get into battle, give each target a missile to play with before you get into firing range. I only mention this because I found combat very difficult for a long time until I started using missiles a lot. Even in a fully tooled up centaur I was having problems. missiles are a very worthwhile expense.

OliasOfSunhillo

OliasOfSunhillo avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 11 years ago.

Not to deny your superior knowledge Seygantte but the Research Station in Albion Beta also sells Jumpdrives only 3 Sectors from Grand Exchange.

You need to log-in to post here.