To do or not to do...

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » To do or not to do...

JackKiller2266

JackKiller2266 avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 11 years ago.

Do you guys and galls think i should start a Silicon mining operation in Barren Shores, because in my game there are 38 unclaimed 'roids ranging from 8 to 64 (10 would be mined by L because they are 26+ and the rest would be mined by M because they are between 8-25), i am really thinking about doing this not only to corner the market with Silicon, but to fund my every growing crystal and SSP operation, do you think i should spend the maybe 100 mil to get everything running (Silicon/Crystal/Power) with CAG/CLS support?

*Edit, I just went in Game and got the cost of everything
High End(Full names) Low End (Same Names)
10 Silicon Mines L = 10225220 (Same) = 10225220
28 Silicon Mines M = 13999440 (Same) = 13999440
38 Caiman L = 14916026 (Same) = 14916026
38 PAC (High End) = 1643158 (Same) = 1317498
Rudder Optimization= 19247000 (Same) = 19247000
Engine Tuning(Max) = 404776 (Same) = 404776
Cargo Bay Extension= 269496 (Same) = 269496
Equipment(Totals) = 841264 (Same) = 841264
1 Mil Starting Cash= 38000000 (Same) = 38000000
Totals = 99546380 = 99220720

so do you think this would be a good investment or no (I think i did my Math right)
- Rudder, Engine, and Cargo are all maxed out
- Equipment is everything I i need for CAG dutes
- I did not add the Crystal 'pLex or the SSP 'plex in

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

Absolutely, 100% yes. I have an L mine on every single roid in that sector in TC, all networked into a self sufficient crystal complex generating over 4500 crystals per hour. If I were to scale it down to Silicon output instead it would generate almost 4000 Silicon wafers per hour above what it needs to run :o Or you could even go the other way, turn Crystals into energy, which is something like 600,000 energy cells per hour excess. With CAG help you can corner all kinds of markets! Big grin

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm with Kirlack---definitely YES!
I have forgotten all about that Sector. I don't get down "that way" much, but now that I've finished the Terran Plot I have plenty of time to build some more Complexes and placing a few more Stations.

And looking at a map---it's a nice place to use as a stepping-off point to some Paranid Sectors Evil

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
JackKiller2266

JackKiller2266 avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

should I tow a few of them around after i get them up and running to create some more space for some Crystal Fabs or leave them where they are

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

This is exactly what I just did here. A link to the complex calculator is included. I say go for it.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
JackKiller2266

JackKiller2266 avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

how did you get them so neatly organized?, also for some reason i dont like looped systems , i like a single 'plex with the same thing together (Except for a few things like basic (Weat, Beef etc) and food stuff (Rims, Meatsteak, etc..) then i plex weapons together like PRG/EBC etc)

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Many hours of manoeuvring silicon mines. It's easiest to tow them by the docking bay past where you need them and then back so that they face the right way. Then go behind them and push them into place gently. It needn't be as neat as mine though... I went a bit OCD...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Why use M mine at all? I would just use L instead, as surely they produce more wares whatever they are placed on?

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Why use M mine at all? I would just use L instead, as surely they produce more wares whatever they are placed on?
- Roguey

They do, and they have double the storage capacity of an M sized mine. There's a long standing argument amongst the regulars of the Egosoft boards that M sized mines are a waste of money.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Agreed. For other resources using M factories can be useful, as you have the opportunity to add more endlessly. However for mining where you have a finite number of roids which you can claim, you need to utilise them all in the most efficient way. This means L Mines. They pay back their purchase price in the same time as M mines, but once that is done the increased yield due to the lower cycle time means the longer you have it the more money you make compared to an M.

tl;dr M mines are stupid.

JackKiller2266

JackKiller2266 avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

ok then i will only get L mines...which limits where i can actually get L Mines

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Buy L sized Silicon mines from the Teladi and L sized Ore mines from the Split, they're the cheapest. IIRC you can get L sized Silicon mines from Ministry of Finance, which is probably the closest sector to Barren Shores.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I love it when you can buy some Stations at a much "reduced price" and still have them work as well/much as their more expensive cousins.

I personally, and accidentally, picked up an M Silicone Mine that I've been carrying around in a TL.
One of these days I'll drop it on an asteroid.
Probably make it an 'extra' part of a Complex.

But I totally agree. Placing "M" mining stations on an asteroid doesn't make much sense.
Go with the "L" ones. It totally pays for itself in short time.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I love it when you can buy some Stations at a much "reduced price" and still have them work as well/much as their more expensive cousins.
- cjm3fl

Yeah, some of them can have massive shifts in price. There's even a reason for some of them according to game lore. For instance Split use slaves to mine their ore, so the labour costs are lower, making the mine cheaper. Teladi don't produce many high tech goods of their own, so have less use for silicon, making their mines cheaper.

;)

I may have been playing in the X universe too long.... Big grin

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I may have been playing in the X universe too long.... Big grin
- Kirlack

What are you talking about?!?!
There is nothing more fun then sitting docked at a Military Outpost waiting for 1-star Marines to train up to at least 3 or 4-stars!

Besides, talk like that might get you banned from some "X" sites Hammer

martimus

martimus avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 11 years ago.

M sized mines have their use. I use them often for closed loops to ensure I have enough resources to run them. Like all things in X3 mines require more resources based on the output they produce (iirc).

You need to log-in to post here.