Hi there

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » Hi there

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 9 years ago.

OK, I took the risk and bought Elite: Dangerous yesterday. I trust Braben and Frontier Development will make the Linux version.

So what will you do in the mean time?

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

So what will you do in the mean time?
- Roguey

I will practice basics with the Windows-version. I got an feeling that the game requires a joystick. HOTAS was already on my buying list so I guess I buy that before I will continue with E:D.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

So what will you do in the mean time?- Roguey
I will practice basics with the Windows-version. I got an feeling that the game requires a joystick. HOTAS was already on my buying list so I guess I buy that before I will continue with E:D.
- edqe

Good luck finding one in stock for a reasonable price. Im currently trying to get an x52 from ebay. The Thrustmaster HOTAS X msrp is only $50 but if you look around they are $200 or more right now in most online stores.

Right now im using KB+mouse and it is fine. If you are a gamer that uses a keyboard for everything it shouldn't be a problem as the controls are well mapped from the start. The only button I had to change was the eject cargo button, you can prolly guess as to why.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Good luck finding one in stock for a reasonable price. Im currently trying to get an x52 from ebay. The Thrustmaster HOTAS X msrp is only $50 but if you look around they are $200 or more right now in most online stores.
- Sinxar

I was thinking to buy "Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog" - 350€. X52 would cost 170€ so I have still been hesitating which to buy. Oculus Rift will require ~400€ and a new GPU at least ~500€.

Right now im using KB+mouse and it is fine. If you are a gamer that uses a keyboard for everything it shouldn't be a problem as the controls are well mapped from the start. The only button I had to change was the eject cargo button, you can prolly guess as to why.

- Sinxar

I'm 100% K+M gamer. I have gamepad to play Rayman but that's it Smile

K+B is OK but for some reason I don't enjoy playing the game with them. E:D is so much about the flying/fighting that I think I need something better to keep myself interested to play the game.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

Where you live at? The x52 new is only $150 in the US, so over there that is what like 110 - 120'ish?

I looked at the Warthog and couldn't really see paying that much for something that will most likely only be used in one game. Not to mention it doesn't have yaw control on the stick, so add another $200 for the petals.

What is your PC like now? Do you have any issues running the game with your current rig?

mossfoot

mossfoot avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 9 years ago.

Hello! I used to visit your site a lot back when I was playing X3. Glad to see you up and running with Elite: Dangerous Smile I hope to check out your site for useful info in the future. Always liked the place!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

K+B is OK but for some reason I don't enjoy playing the game with them. E:D is so much about the flying/fighting that I think I need something better to keep myself interested to play the game.
- edqe

Ill probably get moaned at, but I use gamepad+keyboard myself. I find the two sticks useful for controlling the roll, pitch and yaw.

Glad to see you up and running with Elite: Dangerous I hope to check out your site for useful info in the future. Always liked the place!
- mossfoot

Cheers, ill try and keep it useful Smile

Rassyu

Rassyu avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 9 years ago.

Ill probably get moaned at, but I use gamepad+keyboard myself. I find the two sticks useful for controlling the roll, pitch and yaw.
- Roguey

i use joystick and keyboard, i just have a cheap logiteck joystick so i use the keyboard for throttle control and a few custom hotkeys. but a controler would be a good 2nd choice for me as well.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Where you live at? The x52 new is only $150 in the US, so over there that is what like 110 - 120'ish?
- Sinxar

I live in Europe. Yes, the basic x52 costs around 110€ and Pro-version around 160€. Tempting choices as well and most likely would be more than enough for my use,

I looked at the Warthog and couldn't really see paying that much for something that will most likely only be used in one game. Not to mention it doesn't have yaw control on the stick, so add another $200 for the petals.
- Sinxar

Good points. Unfortunately all joystics seems to have quite a list of pros and cons - not easy to find a clear winner.

What is your PC like now? Do you have any issues running the game with your current rig?
- Sinxar

i7-3770k, 16G, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, native res 1920x1200

I bought GTX 750 Ti to be as temporary placeholder to replace broken HD 7970. I have to say it is much better I think it would be. Kind of sad in the same time - just shows that games are not designed and made for modern gaming PCs.

Both X Rebirth and Elite: Dangerous runs well enough. When Oculus Rift arrives I need a new GPU(s) - something that can run games 90fps with it.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

the basic x52 costs around 110€ and Pro-version around 160€. Tempting choices as well and most likely would be more than enough for my use
- edqe

Many seemed to praise CH Fighterstick and CH Pro Throttle - of course they had their own list of cons.

Does anyone here have experience with those or other CH products?

In the other hand I think I will put E:D to rest and come back to it after a year or so. Unfortunately after some hours of playing I started to feel a little bored already and there are some features I really dislike (slow and tedious travelling, supercruise, waiting your turn to dock, empty bulleting boards / server problems, etc). Many E:D gamers seems to describe the game as "a mile wide and an inch deep". Maybe I will have Oculus Rift + HOTAS setup ready by then - that would be great.

Judemagog

Judemagog avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 9 years ago.

Hi there people, I've got a kickstarter pack but I'm not entirely sure I've taken advantage of it all yet.

I am an ooliter mostly and I had electron elite and BBC elite. I was not the most social girl in my teens!! haha!! I can only play after 8 normally when my kids are in bed but I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm keen to make money trading mostly then improve my ship to begin combat later on. I like trade though.
all the best
if there is a quick way of updating trade stock let me know - I've done a few bits but nothing much.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 9 years ago.

In the other hand I think I will put E:D to rest and come back to it after a year or so. Unfortunately after some hours of playing I started to feel a little bored already and there are some features I really dislike (slow and tedious travelling, supercruise, waiting your turn to dock, empty bulleting boards / server problems, etc). Many E:D gamers seems to describe the game as "a mile wide and an inch deep". Maybe I will have Oculus Rift + HOTAS setup ready by then - that would be great.
- edqe

Yeah I agree. It is a shame they released it in this state. If you look over the official boards it is either people defending the game to the death (ie: best thing EVER and adding anything would ruin it) or people wanting the game nerfed into oblivion. Honestly it is a decent space flight sim but that is about it. I can't really play it more than an hour or so at a time without getting bored.

Hopefully they will be adding the content soon. However going by the official forums it will stay a trading only game and no player interactions will be possible if they get their way. I already feel like it is a lost cause just because of the player base on the forums.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Yeah I agree. It is a shame they released it in this state. If you look over the official boards it is either people defending the game to the death (ie: best thing EVER and adding anything would ruin it) or people wanting the game nerfed into oblivion. Honestly it is a decent space flight sim but that is about it. I can't really play it more than an hour or so at a time without getting bored.

Hopefully they will be adding the content soon. However going by the official forums it will stay a trading only game and no player interactions will be possible if they get their way. I already feel like it is a lost cause just because of the player base on the forums.

- Sinxar

Game forums are always a bit tricky. More bigger title and fanatic followers, the worse places forums usually are Smile. Additionally, there seems to be some kind of "war" going on between E:D and SC fans and unfortunately it shows in the forums or news comment areas.

I don't want to be too harsh to E:D but there are quite many negative things and design choices I really dislike a lot. Of course whining about the "problems" (some gamers may like them) and choices in the forums is wrong way to give feedback. Giving useful and constructive criticism to developers is surprisingly hard and it is quite rare to see it happening in the forums. Usually feedback is more like "feature X sucks!", "feature X should be like it was in series earlier" or plainly calling developers doing bad work - useless disrespectful noise.

It is interesting to see how E:D is going forward. I have not followed the development too closely so don't know what to expect but at the moment I hope planetary landing etc. are bottom of the list. As far as I know the next freature set will be related to MMO-side called "Wings".

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Yeah I agree. It is a shame they released it in this state. If you look over the official boards it is either people defending the game to the death (ie: best thing EVER and adding anything would ruin it) or people wanting the game nerfed into oblivion.

I do agree that ED is a bit lacking at the moment. More content would definitely help, although some new features would also greatly help. I personally like to see better online connectivity (wings are coming soon, guilds, party system etc.), global events (a bit like GW2 system, where large wars/construction events happen), achievements, daily events/tasks, a plot, and maybe some kind-of boarding system. Although it does somewhat worry me that in the last news letter there was mention of paid content (which shouldnt be the focus in its current state ). New content by paid means would be very bad idea at this stage.

However the game is in a better state on launch than X-Rebirth, which doesnt take much I know.

Frontier do come across a bit money hungry - remember the 30th year cobra skin at £10?

Game forums are always a bit tricky. More bigger title and fanatic followers, the worse places they usually are Smile. Additionally, there seems to be some kind of "war" going on between E:D and SC fans and unfortunately it shows in the forums or news comment areas.

Well unfortunately you will get that on the official boards, which in a way is a good thing (people are passionate about the game). But sometimes a 3rd party sites can offer a much more open discussion on things. I really hate it when people going to war on a title, play both/neither/the one you like - problem solved. Its a shame that a few passionate people can ruin it for others.

Hopefully they will be adding the content soon.

I guess recently quite a few developers have lost their reputation promising things which never happen. According to David braben, its only the start. So more content should come, paid DLC would annoy a lot of people. Paid DLC would be fine later, when the game is much fuller.

I guess if you compare ED to one of the early elites, there is quite a lot of stuff missing (planet landings, ships, military missions?).

At the moment im working my way to an Imperial Clipper. Once I get that equipped, then ill probably play less if nothing much changes in the mean time. Adding a few more ships wont patch the gap of missing content.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

However the game is in a better state on launch than X-Rebirth, which doesnt take much I know.
- Roguey

At least E:D has way less bugs Smile ... but otherwise I personally think that X:R was in much better state. Opinions and preferences.

There has been some bugs on E:D that has disturbed my gaming a little. Just after 1.04 update all bulletin boards were empty because of some server problem (in solo-mode too). It happened me yesterday too but I guess I was just unlucky.

Well unfortunately you will get that on the official boards, which in a way is a good thing (people are passionate about the game). But sometimes a 3rd party sites can offer a much more open discussion on things. I really hate it when people going to war on a title, play both/neither/the one you like - problem solved. Its a shame that a few passionate people can ruin it for others.
- Roguey

Yeah, thanks to sites like this we have alternative places to discuss. I have to say I'm fine that official sites has a bit more strict rules. It is frustrating try to discuss with other gamers if there are tons of rage messages all over the places.

This is excellent times for space game fans so it is sad to see gamers fighting with each others.

« 1 2

You need to log-in to post here.