New to Open Play

Home Board Index » Elite Dangerous » New to Open Play

Skeletongoose20

Skeletongoose20 avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 8 years ago.

This is my first post on any of the ED sites. I’ve been hooked on the game for a while, but hesitant to foray out on Open-Play. I thought it would be a huge fur ball, with everyone killing each other, like Halo.

Well, I finally got the nerve, credits, experience and a nice ship to head to out and to my surprise it’s great! but (man) the galaxy is so big. I’m not sure if I’ve seen more than 2 human players in a month.

This brings me to the question/discussion. Where is everyone? Is it possible to communicate with players in the game? And, how does the “cooperative” play work?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

hi there,

well open is a bit of mixed bag to be honest. It used to be fulled with griefers at the launch - who felt it was funny to attack people for no reason. Since then, the game has had quite a lot of changes, so things arent as bad now. I also think a lot of them have moved on. Now things are quieter, people are spread out a lot more - so your chances of seeing another person is a lot lower. People still pirate on others - and some do it fairly (if you enjoy that sort-of thing).

Myself, not really keen on the whole PvP aspect to be honest - so when I want to play open, I tend to play in the mobius group. Its a shame there isnt a proper PvE option in the menu. Some people argue that it should stay like this - however I dont have any interest in fighting other people. Now they use wings (so 4vs1) - which is never fair. You could argue that you could get into a wing - however most people will find it hard to coop with another friendly commander. So you will tend to be on your own.

Coop play can only work in wings atm - like a joining a party in a MMORPG.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 8 years ago.

I found open play to be right up my alley. I am a huge fan of world pvp in games like WoW (not that battleground BS, real world pvp) and Eve Online, it is where all the best interactions happen and you come away with awesome stories to tell others.

In elite though it is much more relaxed. If you don't want to get shot at by players, stay away from the starter system of LHS 3447 and the surrounding area. You will also want to avoid popular places like Robigo and right now Maia. But IMO that is part of the fun, never know what could happen when you visit those places. Could make a new friend or get some 'combat training'. Quite frankly (again, IMO) there isn't enough content. Right now all there is to do is shoot idiot NPCs or trade, the human element really helps to break up the monotony.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Quite frankly (again, IMO) there isn't enough content. Right now all there is to do is shoot idiot NPCs or trade, the human element really helps to break up the monotony.
- Sinxar

Agreed, we basically need a Thargoid invasion force to start wiping out systems - and us players saving the universe. Either by bringing aid (trading), deference/striking back (combat), discovering weakness/places to attack the thargoids (exploration) etc. Fighting each-other seems a bit of a cheap way of making enemies (instead of designing a new race, with its own ships, stations etc.); kind-of your star-trek without the borg (maybe why elite feels some-what lacking in content). I know some people enjoy PvP element; and there should be the option to do so (in someways CQC offers the standard DM experience), but it shouldnt be forced into it. Human pirates can use some nasty tactics which are just unfair to single commander. Why shouldnt we be able to find hidden Thargoid bases in distant systems, where we need to scan and return home - maybe 1,000ls away (being chased by a mob of Thargoids)? instead... most of the universe is just a bunch of lifeless planets.

With all this going on, then we could have community events to either save systems, protect conveys and strike back at the Thargoids (with commanders scanning and returning home with detail plans on enemy bases). People could pirate on others, but it should be more rewarding doing coop, working together. Maybe people could build their own bases; where people get paid by defending it?

I guess powerplay was an tempt to rally people together (like your federation in star-trek), but to me it failed big time. For me it just gave people another reason to fight, either NPC's or humans. PvP shouldnt be a means to provide content.

Gomorragh

Gomorragh avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 8 years ago.

Thargoids are only 1 thing to it, where are all the supposed aliens who are supposed to visit earth anyway, making use of them could really quickly populate the galaxy

Cmdr Gomorragh - Stares at players, just waiting ......
Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 8 years ago.

Who are theThargoids? I normaly do solo play but go on open to see if anything is diffent would like tk be able to talk others whe in open play what about a group from here?

Skeletongoose20

Skeletongoose20 avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 8 years ago.

Thanks for the reply Scott. I was looking to see if communication while in Open play was possible too… Still looking for that answer. I’ve been hitting Open play for the last couple of weeks and if you can believe the User’s guide, other Players appear as “Open Icons” on the radar panel and I’ve seen only two.
I only have one regret, I wish I had started the game in PC mode. Seems I’ve stuck on XBOX now. I have a nice ship, acquired rank and about 100M cr. To invested to make the transition and start from zero.
I wonder if there is a way to move an account/ship/assets/rank from XBOX to PC mode?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Who are the Thargoids?
- Scott

Well, basically they are kind-of your Khaak from X3/TC/XP, but they were earlier. This video explains better;

ssarleni

ssarleni avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

I played Eve for about 3 years, joined a player guild, sometimes there was a lot if us and most times just two of us. A lot of people take the game, try it on for a few months then leave, most leave because of the unfair tactics of PvP players IMHO, an example, your collecting your loot and up pops a pirate, aha a fight, then 3 of his friends bounce in once the fight starts and that happened more times than you would like and my main reason for leaving. Stations sound wonderful, we even started one and when the guild was full of people it was fun getting materials, making stuff etc etc. But when the guild is low you don't have the 24 hour support to guard it from pirates and other factions who want it for themselves.

For a lot of people it is mana from heaven and love that kind of stuff, best thing since sliced bread, encourages competition all that kind of thing. If you want the PvP thing join a big guild, expect to be bullied, do all the crappy stuff the new guy gets to do but the rewards are good and eventually you won't be the new guy any more. Maybe not all guilds are the same but bet more are than are not, human nature will out.

Sour grapes? You bet it is, I wanted to play the game not spend my time running from wings of nobodies with nothing better to do.

Some thing I do want from Eve, is a garage for my ships and to be able to carry around my fighters, interdictors, in the belly of my freighters and a proper storage space to save stuff like rare ores for those missions that require it, dedicated mining ships with good bellies for holding ore, lets make that at least an option as a game facet. Best of all would be a proper market economy with the ability to search across multiple systems for the best price, similar to a discovery scanner, you pay for bigger and better market scanners for say 5, 10, 15 systems from your position. Clones would a good idea but a lot would think that's too much like Eve then I would guess

CaptainHeroic

CaptainHeroic avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 8 years ago.

I was surprised that no where in the thread above are there any references to PowerPlay, this is a massive part of the game if you embrace it, sure its nice getting the 50 million creds a week and the 100% bounty increase as Hudson is #1 in the galaxy but its the team play (very often PvP ) we have over 100 registered users and we have to break into separate parties on Xbox when we go undermining with 3 wings of 4 to hit a system and others are doing the expansion zones etc as Xbox party can only hold 12, the Reddit group we run has over 1500 members and teamspeak for PC, there is a huge amount of player interaction and you really can influence the game in a positive way.

I get involved with a lot of training new guys in activities like undermining, we have PvP trainers, trading and mining experts - and you don't have to belong to a group as such and you can even contribute and still play in solo if you wish. Anyway its an ever changing galaxy and if we do meet up with the aliens, well it might be nice to have a few dependable wing men

Here join up today!! https://www.reddit.com/r/elitehudson :-)

ssarleni

ssarleni avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Nice recruiting spiel, but I would think if it hasn't been mentioned its for 2 reasons.

A) Not interested in powerplay as its usually populated by very serious players who, as I think I said before, take the game so seriously that when the inevitable mistakes happen you get treated like a puppy murderer. And Yes I have been told *but we are not like that* only to find out that all too many are.

B) did not know about Powerplay in which case your recruitment spiel might raise some interest.

I have played Anarchy Online, Eve, WOW, Diablo, Guild Wars and a few others and met a lot of Powerplayers. Its an interesting part of any game but for me they take, what is after all a game, far too seriously. Done my fair share of endgame, guild raids, powerplay, striving for that uber item/weapon/quest, turned out its not for me.

CaptainHeroic

CaptainHeroic avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 8 years ago.

Each to there own - I am the opposite I have never bothered with guilds, clans etc - had no need but this game is rather dull after a couple of months if you take the "people" out of it, I am glancing up at my comms panel in-game and I can count 13 - so that's 13 XBL contacts in game now - 10 of which I party and fly with often - all are in PowerPlay and we do take it seriously so that give the game a whole new focus - there is no game I have ever played where I think about whats going on when I am away and I genuinely rush down and view the PowerPlay standings etc first thing on Thursday morning after the "tick" - we got Hudson to #1 this week - that was a great feeling - love this game!

j0lt

j0lt avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 7 years ago.

I haven't had a lot of trouble with other players. The only time another player has killed me was in a powerplay event, and I'd attacked him first. More often than not you'll find someone who either wants to join up with what you're doing, or will ask you to help with what they're doing.

Last time I was playing I stumbled across a CMDR interdicting Alliance Bureaucrats and destroying them before they reached their stations in order to undermine the Alliance presence in the system. Since we were both aligned with the Federation he asked me to give him a hand, and along with another CMDR we flew around blowing ships up left, right, and center!

You need to log-in to post here.