New video capturing (Roguey)

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » New video capturing (Roguey)

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Well you may of heard that I was trying to get something sorted regards to my video capturing. When I changed video cards (a while back), my new one didnt have an output I could record. However today I managed to get something sorted (a converter). Atm I cant get 1080i to work, however 720p seems fine. Im not sure if 720p is good enough anyways. So I thought ill do a quick test with it.

The first being from Batman: Arkham city at 50fps:

Whilst the second test was from 2 games: Tomb Raider (2013) and Saintsrow 3. The second test was uploaded at 60fps (although I think its doubtful youtube can handle those high frame rates). These are more so test for me, but equally I know some of you capture video too, so might be interesting to see what you say.

You may think I used fraps (or something similar), however I dont. The way I do it means there is very little impact to the fps, as another PC records my PC. So it should be smoother than the software recorder (like fraps). I havnt used fraps for a long time, so I dont if its got a lot better now. In the past it used to make my system jerk slightly on heavy games (hence the test above) - I guess mainly due to the heavy HDD usage. How does it seem to you? ive tried to use heavy games (with max settings), so any jerk'nist would be shown more (especially if the PC had to record itself).

Any thoughts, or suggestions are welcomed.

ps. I should be able to do 1080 too, but atm its giving me of problems.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

It looks good. The main problem actually isn't HDD use but bandwidth. This is why I record @ 720 @ 30 FPS. 1080 @ 60 fps will saturate the system bus. Keep in mind that this is also shared with the game (saving/loading) That is usually what causes the studders/slowmotion/low fps. There are other reasons but that is the big one. What I've done is run the OS and games off an SSD and record to a large HDD. That way you get the best of both worlds when recording on your PC, fast loading, responsive and good quality footage.

YouTube will always re-encode your video btw. They removed the option to view the source file. For each resolution they encode it to a specific bitrate for that resolution @ 30 FPS. For example my Minecraft and Terraria vids are encoded at 2000 KBs @ 720 @ 30FPS. However when YT gets it, it gets re-encoded to about 3500 KBs nearly doubling the file size. It is good to know if your bandwidth is limited like mine (i get less than a megabit upload - .60 on a good day).

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

ah, I didnt think of the system bandwidth. I guess uncompressed 1080p/60fps would take up a lot resources - this what I mean about recording on the same pc (whilst its much easier, it does put a bit more stress on the pc). If youre playing a heavy game to start with, then its just a lot more the pc has to deal with. I usually get those little studders in the recordings.

Today my pc decided to output 1080i (full screen) - no idea why it changed its mind. This meant I could record upto 1080. So I re-did my tests but at 1080:

As you said (about youtube), I looked up the encode rates for youtube and have encoded closer to youtube rates. As you said, its a bit pointless uploading 60fps in 15Mbps (not that I did before, but I was at 12Mbps @ 720p).. This time ive gone for around 8.75Mbps @ 1080.

You need to log-in to post here.