Egosoft TNBT

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Egosoft TNBT

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 13 years ago.

I wondering if any would like to make some guess that egosoft next big thing (TNBT) will be. I got feeling it might be X4 - it feels about the right time for it.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 13 years ago.

They did say that they will not be making an X4. As you said it does seem like a good time for it.
I would like it if there is an war between they races, two distinct sides, maybe
Argon, Terran and Boron
vs
Split, Paranid and Taladi.

They would have to expand the universe though. Also think about the amount of RAM it would use, TC was a lot, I wonder what an X4 would be.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Well I think the problem with the RAM was how TC used it. I thought TC kept loading stuff into it, but never removed it. So the longer you played (from a save game), the more memory got used. TC also had some massive textures, which didnt really add much but took loads of memory. For me, TC wasnt very optimized. 2Gb should of been easily enough for 1 sector worth of textures and models.

So I am guessing the TNBT is probably longly awaited update of the engine. Im guessing that TC used a tweaked version of X3 engine. I think X3 was the last time the engine had a major re-work.

I think whatever ego do, they will used an updated/re-worked engine. This could see the support for dual/quad core processors finally. I cant see them scarping the whole space-sim genre altogether (especially when the announcement is at a Science-Fiction-Convention). I am pretty sure this next game will be a space sim with trading, fighting etc.... but I am not sure where it will be set and the story.

It would be a lot easier for ego to base it on the X-universe (ie. X4) - however they could think of something new altogether. The X series is getting rather messy: countless ships with minor difference (variants), loads of sectors (half of them your hardly ever re-visit), too many guns (you dont know which to use), 6 turret limit (12 gun each), etc.

Ego might of said internally: "TC is getting too confusing, even for us! so lets build something from the ground up". This would allow them to break these limits that have been in the X series from the start.

The only other thing I can think of is, it is X4 but will be totally different to X3/TC because of this new engine.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Your text goes here..
Well I think the problem with the RAM was how TC used it. For me, TC wasnt very optimized. 2Gb should of been easily enough for 1 sector worth of textures and models.
- Roguey

If they do upgrade the model, it would save me a lot of money! As I would still use my current 2GB RAM.

I think the part that made it confusing was the menus within menus within menus..... it has been a thing throughout the of the X series. Also in TC there were three different campaigns.
>Terren
>Operation Final Fury
> Aldrin

They added to much in.

A new engine would be brilliant, as the current one needs a complete re-do like you said the one X3 had. I think they should keep the core of it (if youknow what I mean) and build upon that. Re-doing everything else.

If it was an X4 I would want a total redesign of the chips, in X2 each of the ships had their own style, you could tell the difference between a M1, M2 and TL, now they look practically the same!

--

They are either going to say, 'Screw it, to much work lets do something else' or this TNBT is really going to be the wanted X4 (what would they call it)
Is this how the released X3R and X3TC at science-fiction conventions?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Well I like the design they had in X2, with their lego style ships. Most of the ships were built from peices. Take the Nova, it was made from:

Argon cockpit module,
2 x Nova wings,
then turrets / view points,

In X3/TC the ships became large models. Which meant to make new ships, you would need to build the whole model and not use parts.

The parts idea could of been expanded on, allowing gamers to change parts of their ships such as engines, wings etc. basically you could customize your own ships. For example. you could buy Nova MkII wings which could say add faster turning or something, or simply for looks.

They could also thought about linking parts to sub-systems. ie. in the scene, you could say that the large radar (on the top) was parts of the scanners. When this part was hit, the scanning sub-system could be weaken. You could shot at the engines say to slow a ship (or even disable the engines altogether). This could of been done easily, like so in the scene file:

P 9; B ships/khaak/khaak_M7_Drive; subsys engine;

For me, it would of made the game more fun.

They added to much in.
- bozo64r

I agree m8, TC especially felt like number game: " Lets put loads of guns, wares, sectors and ships in.", whilst this is great I felt not much time got spent on each. eg. A few of the guns a fire very similar bullets.

I still cant believe egosoft removed the BBS system.

Is this how the released X3R and X3TC at science-fiction conventions?
- bozo64r

I dont know, I wasnt really in the community then.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Well I like the design they had in X2, with their lego style ships. Most of the ships were built from peices. Take the Nova, it was made from:
- Roguey

I know what you mean, I did prefer the X2 ships, my favorite being the Titan.

They could also thought about linking parts to sub-systems.
- Roguey

Now I do like this idea, but the controls will get complected, unless hotkeys can be found, and most hotkeys are taken up,

I still cant believe egosoft removed the BBS system.
- Roguey

I know they have it now as icons come up next to station names, I do like that. But I still think there should be BBS.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Now I do like this idea, but the controls will get complected, unless hotkeys can be found, and most hotkeys are taken up,
- bozo64r

Hmmm.. well maybe things could be moved around a bit. Sub-system control could be done simply on the home, end, page up, page down section of the keyboard. The delete button could be used to reset all systems to normal.

Although I do agree that the short-cut and menu's should be simplified. I really hope ego makes the learning curve much smoother as well. Its nice to be throw into space and let loose but it should be done after a few training missions or something.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Well, they do have the simulator, which trains you in Space, but it's so easy to complete.

The problem is with the menus, there are to many to simplify, they would have to combine a lot of the. The way they got around it in the first place was using hotkeys, which are easy as long as you remember where they all are. When setting hotkeys for the plugins I add, I have to user shift+(something) it gets really annoying.

The sub-system, I like the idea, but the buttons you said are already used for targeting systems. Also, if you use the mouse you would have to us the arrows to move and ctrl button to fire, as you would need to mouse to select sub-system. It is a good idea, but I think it should be used mainly for big carriers, as those battles last much longer. It would need a lot of work, and it could be something you could incorporate into one of your mods, or see if someone like Cycrow would do it.

Sorry but this thread has been locked.