How about an IRC channel?

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » How about an IRC channel?

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 13 years ago.

As the title says, how about we get a channel on IRC for talk/debate, since posting only on a forum is quite time/space consuming? Big grin

Burn rubber, not your soul!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 13 years ago.

I did think about a chat page although the trouble with chatting, is that the messages disappear. Although it probably easier to code something. I am not sure we have enough people for IRC, I feel it would be empty most of the time.

Unfortunately not many people register on the site a day (even know we have 100's of people visiting a day). I guess most people use the site has a resource and dont want to join in. It doesnt help that my user registering system has been broken for 2 weeks either.

There is one big advantage with a forum although: it builds as a resource. Space wise, the forum weights in at 740kb. This is not bad compared to the old phpbb3 forum I used to run that used mb's of database space. This was 1 reason why I wrote my own forum - optimized speed and space... not to mention spam bots too. You can see how fast the forum is by checking This page loaded in at the bottom of the page.

Believe it not, we had spam bots posting obscene content on the phpbb2/3 forums nearly every day!

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 13 years ago.

Well yeah, I actually mean more like an IRC channel for talk about developement etc.
a forum is a great collection of knowledge, but IRC is faster Big grin
And messages don't get lost often, especially if there isn't much trafic Big grin

Burn rubber, not your soul!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 13 years ago.

Is there a client or something I could add to the site? I havnt used IRC for such a long time, maybe you know one?

ps. I thought you maybe interested, so I created a stats page.

You need to log-in to post here.