Chat room area

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Chat room area

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

You can now chat to other members in the chat area. This maybe another good option to drop by and say hi, hello etc. Messages posted there will stay until they are knocked off the maximum log size (atm 25 messages). You can think of the chat-room as a shoutbox if you like. btw, the chat isnt like instant messaging, so dont think by refreshing every 10 seconds your see a reply. However it should be a easy to drop by and get to talk to everyone.

We did used to use a IRC room (Instant messaging), however people would drop by from time to time but no-one would be at the same time, meaning your often be on your own. This new system allows you to post something, then come back later and check. This fits the site better and is coded by me - so it uses the same log-in system.

- Roguey's Chat

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

Cool, but can't we just keep the IRC as well?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

sure if you want to, although I thought that people were constantly missing each other? why I wanted to keep the messages on the server.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Very good thing you have here, I posted something on there, Roguey, of it is not too much trouble can you put times of when a message was posted? So we know what times people go on...?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

thanks m8, its took quite a lot of hours to make it. I thought it would much easier than it would be. I guess its cause ive tried to make it very efficient. Atm, the refresh is on a 10 second, but I could increase this to make it more responsive if required.

as for the times, the only trouble with this is timezones (ie. the server time will be different to your time). So it could be confusing when the message was actually posted. Looking at php, there is a way to print times depending on a timezone, however it would have to be based on one timezone, like GMT etc. ie:

Roguey on Tue 9th Aug (1:35pm GMT)

What timezone would be best to use? I personally know GMT.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Good updates, actually today I couldn't reply in the chat... I click "Post" it says "Done" but the post doesn't appear. As for the IRC if it doesn't cause load on the server you can make it as "IRC" instead of chat, and you're right I missed talking directly to you guys, the new chat feature is pretty cool, would be cooler if I can post in it... (Sad)

Update #1: does it take a while for my message to appear? cause I had to leave it for minutes, I left the chat page came again then posted here, when I checked there again I found my message. O.O

Update #2: It's working perfectly right now, I don't know what was happening back then. Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Hey tiger,I had some errors in my add message code when I was adding the GMT tag to the message. Please remmeber its in GMT and in England atm we are in BST (British Summer Time ie. GMT + 1)

as for IRC support - I dont know. The chat system is completely my own system, so I doubt it will interface with IRC. I could add the older chat back if really wanted.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Okay everything is working fine now. By the way Roguey can you, (when you have some free time), make a who is online form at the bottom of the forum index? so we can see all online users, eg: Roguey, The White Tiger, bots... etc?

Can you also increase the maximum stored messages in the chat, I kinda missed some messages, didn't I?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

an active member list is something I been thinking about - the coding hasnt clicked in my head yet, still thinking of ways of doing it atm.

I can start increasing things soon, its just I wanted to see how much resources it would take before increased settings. I hopefully its bandwidth friendly but this allows me to check.

[update] I have increased the log file size (20 to 30) and refresh rate rate now (10 to 8 secs). I dont want to make the log file too long.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Yeah, it's perfect now Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

hehe, well its not prefect yet :p... well not to me, yet.

The online list im not totally sure the best way to do it, as I dont want double the amount of refreshes for simply another area. hmm, if your using it drop by and leave a message, then I guess an online list does matter much. It really depends on its usage.

You need to log-in to post here.