SOPA and PIPA

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » SOPA and PIPA

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Some of you may of heard about SOPA and PIPA, these are laws the are currently going through US Congress, if passed it will give extreme powers to SOPA, to shutdown and fine any websites breaching copyright. If you saw the Wiki blackout then you will know what I mean.

Wiki Protest Blackout

If the law is passed, wikipedia will be shut down, YouTube would be shut down, there have been many protests about it.

Egosoft have announced that they are against SOPA, so if the law gets past Roguey's website would not get shut down. I say this because in a sense we are breaching the copy right of Egosoft, but since Egosoft like Roguey's Site then we are ok Big grin

Read more about it;

Wiki

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I didnt think those laws were meant to be understood like that. As it would basically end all fan-sites, gaming sites and more. Most sites have content which could be deemed as copyrighted material, whether its just a screen-shot, video etc. However just because they have a image or so, doesn't mean the site supports illegal activities. Heck, how would a fan work without no images/videos from the game? If anything fan-sites supporting a game will aid in sales, helping people understand the game and promoting their content. Would EA/Activision etc. like to see no fan-sites?

My understanding of those acts, as that those big companies could shut-down a site without warning if the site hosts or supports piracy of software/video/films. Before those acts, if a user posted a link/content, then it wasnt the site owner fault and you were given a few days to remove the link/content. However these new acts could mean the site-owner is responsible for all content, and needs to keep their site free from pirated content. If found with some, the US government could shut-down your site without warning.

You need to log-in to post here.