Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - thoughts?

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - thoughts?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

So I'm looking for a new rpg to play. I ran across this game Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. So as usual I check out all the vids, and reviews and I decided to DL the demo. It seems pretty cool and I think the best part is the combat and the main quest I hear is good.

pros:
"200+ hours" of content - to quote the lead designer.
Very fun combat, even in the demo where your only level 1 - 5

Now I went to the official forums to read up on what people are whining about. So apparently the game is fairly easy on "Hard" difficulty. There seems to be another major issue for many players called "Level Locking". Now from what I am reading this occurs when you visit a zone too early and the NPCs become locked to your lower level toon. Such as, you are level 10 a quest will send you into a neighboring zone. You finish that quest and go back to where you were. You level up to level 15 and need to go to that other zone. But since you went there when level 10 all the mobs are "locked" at the level you first entered the zone at. Making everything 5 levels lower than you (this apparently doesn't apply to dungeons, but most combat is in the open world). But some people never run into this issue.

so, cons:
possibly too easy
the "level locking" thing - not open world as advertised
it just came out so no patches yet

What do you guys think about this game? I just happened to spot it when looking for something new to play. The vids are pretty cool and the demo is fun to play. If you want to try it, demo is on Steam.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

I got this yesterday, I was planning to play it until Monday then play AP for a while... Anyway played it most of the evening and its as expected. I went straight to hard mode. Other than bosses the fights are pretty easy, but then again I could just be a little bit overpowered, im playing a classic mage ATM but am going to invest in another class when I get all the skills I want. I want to do a mage/warrior, get all magic with use of greatswords or hammers. I'm still near the start so i'll see how it plays out.

My only regret is that I DIDN'T get it from Steam so I can chat with friends and have access to achievements. Still, its really fun. It runs extremely well on my old PC also. I am going to try and FRAPs a bit and perhaps put some vids on youtube sometime soon.

my PC:
AMD 5600+ X2 @ 2.8GHz (dual core)
Nvidia 8800GT 512 (modest factory OC)
4GB DDR2 RAM @ 4-4-18
Vista Home Premium x64

playing at 2048x1152 resolution with max detail. I get a solid 60 FPS with vsync

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

Sorry for not replying, however I never tried that game before so I dont know much about it.

As for RPG's I have played Guild Wars a lot - it was a brilliant game: so much to do, learn and fun to have. Even better now due to the bargain prices you can get it for.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

I just did this. I uploaded a 720p file and I ended with this low quality thing Cry Oh well its still watchable though.

LvL 15 Sorcerer - Hard Mode
This is my first time through this game and I was hoping this quest would be a bit harder than it was. This is one of the faction quest from the House of Ballads. Some lore and stuff involved to know what exactly is going on at this point but its not important.

----------
Two Knights and a Troll

Let me know what you think.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Looks like an interesting game - would you say its anything like Dragon Age? I didnt watch all the way, as I didnt have much time before dinner, but I will watch all soon as can.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

Nah its not like that. Its more like Fable but with a meaty story and better combat (imo).

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Oh, never played Fable before, just Diablo2, Guild-wars and Dragon-Age. Im guessing that big troll isnt one of the hardest monsters in the game? I guess there are more levels than 15? in Guild-wars 20 was max, and in diablo was 99. 20 was abit too few, as you could reach in mere hours in the later games. Id like see them games with a good level advancement.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

LoL, well i was trying to embed another vid but it wont let me. the ID starts with an underscore and it doesn't work.

The level cap is 40. Ive been playing for like 3 days now and only lvl 20 atm. Yea guildwars was weird like that. I guess they want it more based on skill than gear. I had help on that troll also. the 2 guys there and my minion kept him busy until I could DPS it.

This one is another boss battle. This is the final quest in the House of Ballads faction chain. I was chuggin potions like they were going out of style. I'm getting better at dodging but I made quite a few mistakes during the fight. I somehow turned off my shield thing is the most notable, then standing still trying to cast it again lol. Its just the fight, the running around part was left out.

Its funny though because the monsters she is spawning are stronger than herself. That last one is a Thresh. Those things are such a pain to fight. That move where I smash the ground and it gets dark with the weird looking weapon is a fate shift kill mode. Time slows down and you do a lot more dmg. When it finishes, you can get up to double the XP from the mobs you killed during that time.

turns out I can't even make a URL to my vid Cry it should be the top vid on my profile thingy on youtube (only got 2 anyway) This is available in 720p also.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SinxarK

Added by roguey:

On an unrelated note, I need to work on my encoding skills. The file was fairly small at 100mb but i have issues watching it seems to take ages to load for me.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Ah I was wondering how come your health was going down, then flying straight back up. Drinking potions like mad reminds me of how diablo2 was back before they changed them so they work over time. It was a bit crazy then, as you could get away with a lot more. Maybe mad potion drinking is the reason your finding it easier?

I guess your liking the old shoulder pads a lot? LOL

btw, I didnt seem to have problem including the video using the id. The id is the bit in bold: v=_XX3zFLkQBo. Bung that in an youtube tag and it should work. I really need to put some javascript in there to make posting youtube videos easier.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

thats so weird that I couldnt post it before. I was just posting a plain link and it was being cut off too. I was assuming it was something crazy with the database or something since it started with an underscore.

Anyway i changed up my build a little bit for that vid. Didn't find the minion very useful and wanted more damage skills. the ice one is really cool to play with. Usually I don't need to use potions at all. I have a decent health regen going from effects from my gear. I also had alchemy as a major skill i was working on, so I got a ton of potions to use anyway lol.

But its an RPG though. So i should prolly be talking about the story and side quest instead of combat lol.

So basically what happened is you died somehow and were brought back to life by a machine called the well of souls. Everybody has a predetermined fate, there are people known as fate weavers that are pretty much just fortune tellers that can see peoples ultimate fate including how people eventually die.

When you were resurrected, it somehow freed you from this and you have no fate. and the people you meet you change their fate as well.

A good example is (minor spoiler) the fate weaver you first meet that helps you. His fate was to die to a troll in a place called the Theater of Fate, alone and forgotten. He just about craps his pants when he realizes what is about to happen but you step in and kill the troll instead, changing his fate.

Then later you meet him at an inn and the barkeep says something to him like "I think you have enough to drink". When you talk to him he is like "This is YOUR fault I can't pay my tab!, I should have been dead!".

But overall its a pretty good game. Fun combat, good stories and tons of loot. the skill system isnt bad either as you can mix and match pretty much any combo and respec your toon anytime you wish. such as making a mage/warror type. Flinging spells and wielding a greatsword. You can even do major changes like pure mage to pure warrior, just by paying a fate weaver in a town.

there is a demo on steam. it gives you 45 minutes to explore and do a few quest, but there is a glitch that gives you infinite time if you want to try everything you can. It also gives you some free unique gear for the full game and unlocks some stuff for mass effect 3.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

hmmm.. just looking about it and I notice there are console versions too (PS3/XBox). Do you know how good they are? - sometimes the PC is major step upwards, other times theres no much in it (as the developers where lazy and developed it for the slowest system). I might see if there is an demo on the PS3 store - usually is demo of most things there.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

from what I can gather its exactly the same. the pc version is most def a console port. I have read reports its easier to play with a controller also. been thinking about picking up a wired xbox 360 controller for it. You get the updates too i guess. i don't have a console so i have no idea about that part.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

def. might be one I shall look at when the price comes-down. For me the PS3 is easier than the PC has some companies make PC games hard work. The PS3 has trophies too - which is something ive spent a lot of time in getting - like achievements on steam (got over 2,500 now).

By the sounds of it, a mouse doesnt really help over an keypad?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

By the sounds of it, a mouse doesnt really help over an keypad?
- Roguey

a controller would prolly be better in most cases. the targeting system is pretty basic but easy to use, you just face what you want to attack. I do have some issues with a bow sometimes. "I want to attack that guy shooting me from way over there, not the one right in front of me" type thing. I do like being able to navigate menus with the mouse and click directly on things in the map, but thats all im used to. I very rarely use a controller for games, unless im using zSNES hehe.

Anyway, i started over and made a stealthy/ranger type guy. I skipped a ton of quest and now im about lvl 20 and im really enjoying it. Im still playing on hard and it is a bit more challenging in its own way. its harder to to just charge in, but the stealth skills are fun. In the demo I couldnt really get behind the finesse skills, they just didn't seem very good. but once you level up and get new attacks and the bow is skilled up, its decent.

def. might be one I shall look at when the price comes-down.
- Roguey

that was my issue too. but i went for it anyway and sadly I was disappointed with the price vs content. But I already have it now so might as well enjoy it lol.

totally off topic:

I got skyrim the other day too. its almost done downloading. Im an elder scrolls fan and still play oblivion when i get bored heh. Point being that Reckoning will prolly get pushed aside for a while. I went to walmart to get a wired xbox 360 controller and all they had was a $70 knock off hahaha. it was a madcatz one i think. Hmm let me see $70 for a crap one or $30 online for a real one, tough choice lol.

If anybody is interested, my steam name is "sinxar" if anybody feels like adding a friend.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Thanks for explaining - def. sounds interesting. I guess if I leave it for awhile, there will be game of the year sometime (atm I have quite a few games to catch up on). It sounds like a game that the PS3 can do - makes it easier for me.

Does it have any online stuff? or is it purely off-line?

You need to log-in to post here.