Advert links inside forum posts

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Advert links inside forum posts

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Ive was looking around this morning on a few other forums and notice a few links in the posts where unrelated. After hovering over the links, it said something like Powered by skimwords or something ie. they were advert shopping links. It would match random keywords then change them to links (often nothing to do with the original post). ie. someone had the word ebay in the post, and it would be a link to say wheel covers or something on ebay.

Have you come across this much on other forums? I think its very bad idea.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

I find that a really bad idea, but it seems some people really need that money :P

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

hey tiger, where the heck have you been? its been ages since I last heard from you! anyway, nice to see your around still Wave

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Yeah, I saw a post that was a copy of one of mine, in a different thread to where I'd originally posted, but it had been doctored to include links. I didn't like that one little bit to be honest.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

in a different thread to where I'd originally posted, but it had been doctored to include links.

Which forum was that? as that doesnt happen here :P

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

hey tiger, where the heck have you been? its been ages since I last heard from you! anyway, nice to see your around still
- Roguey

Thanks Roguey, I've been busy and I haven't used my PC or XBOX during that period. Hopefully no trouble happened during my absence. Smile

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

in a different thread to where I'd originally posted, but it had been doctored to include links.
Which forum was that? as that doesnt happen here
- Roguey

It was actually right here on your forums Roguey, I even posted up to complain afterwards. I can only assume that you missed it at the time. That said, I've been perusing old threads looking for the one in question, but can not find it :/

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

It was actually right here on your forums Roguey, I even posted up to complain afterwards.

That is very odd. I have nothing to change (as I know) any of threads/posts here; there isnt even an advert running on the forums. All I can think it was something on your pc maybe? If you do see it again, let me know - the new report system is probably a better way to report such issues (if you see it again). I would make it a high priority to investigate.

Thanks Roguey, Ive been busy and I havent used my PC or XBOX during that period. Hopefully no trouble happened during my absence. Smile
- TheWhiteTiger

Nah, thanks have been running okay - just good to see your around once again! its been so long!

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

I saw a post that was a copy of one of mine, in a different thread to where I'd originally posted, but it had been doctored to include links.
- Kirlack

Wait, it wasn't me was it? I've quoted a couple of your posts before... Sorry! :S

I will be the one to take you down!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

LOL, no no no Big grin

It wasn't a quote, someone had literally copied my entire post at the end of this thread, into a different thread, but had added a link into the text. I think I responded with something like 'oi, that's one of my posts, wtf?' ...

...but I can't find the thread now. :/

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh, didn't we think it was a spam bot or something? And so it got deleted? I can't remember exactly but I think that's what happened.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Aaaah, that would explain why I can't find it! Big grin

In which case, I take back what I said about you missing it Wink (and btw, how come you are now 'Admin of cabbages'? :p :p )

You need to log-in to post here.