New modder looking to learn

Home Board Index » Introduce yourself » New modder looking to learn

caffeeine

caffeeine avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hello. I found this site after I bought X3 I decided to start making my own scripts when I found out there was a script editor. I am looking to learn more about script editing. From roguey's tutorials I have learned a lot. But I am looking to do more with it. I wouldn’t mind making a script that will allow other races to invade each other and take over sectors. Things like that. Any ways a little about me.
    My name is caffeeine I live in the US but I was born in Germany (no I am not an army brat) I like to take long flights threw xenon sectors and occasionally spawning xenon ships in argon prime (they have no idea what to do). Oh and I am new to this whole forum thing so I have absolutely no idea what really to say or where to start.

A question that has puzzled me for my whole 24 years of life. If a word is in the dictonary is mispelled how do we know?
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

hi and welcome to the site/forum! Wave

In the x-universe there are three types of main editors:

- Scripters (people who write scripts - usually in the script editor),
- Mission director or MD for short (people who write missions in XML),
- Modellers (People who use 3Dmax/gMax to make ships),

Being a scripter you will need to use the in-game editor - there are external editors although using the in-game doesnt require any more tools. When you create a script, certain names can be important: as default x doesnt run every script automatically, only ones starting with setup.

Using the script editor can be annoying at first, as you have to rely on a menu system way of entering commands rather than just typing them in. You best off starting small: try making a double line script to do the following:

- Get the sector of the playership,
- Then create a ship in that sector,

so your need the following commands (both under General Object Commands):

<RetVar/IF> <RefObj> get sector
<RetVar> = create ship: type=<Var/Ship Type> owner=<Var/Race> addto=<Value> x=<Var/Number> y=<Var/Number> z=<Var/Number>

Then change to the following:

$sector = PLAYERSHIP -> get sector
$ship = create ship: type=Argon Nova owner=player addto=$sector x=0 y=0 z=0

Then save it, then on the list of scripts select your script and press r (to run it), press enter a few times and hopefully an Argon Nova should appear.

The egosoft forums are a good place to look for help: here

hope that helps,

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hi caffeeine. If you're looking for a script/mod that allows the races to invade and overtake sectors I'd highly recommend the Improved Races mod, available from the Egosoft scripting forums for both TC and AP. There are two different versions, I use the original on one of my saves and it works very well indeed! There's an option to keep the universe in a state of dynamic war, especially between the Argon/Paranid and the Split/Boron.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD

You need to log-in to post here.