Split posts from existing topic

Home Board Index » Website problems or errors » Split posts from existing topic

X2-Illuminatus

X2-Illuminatus avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hi,

Is it possible to split posts from an existing topic and move them to a completely new one? I asked Ketraar some days ago and he said that he wouldn't have such a function amongst his moderator tools.

The answer to life, the universe and everything: 42!
...or was it 23? Picture
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hi, well that's one of the things I was meaning to get around but there hasn't been much need, so i left it to later (later being, the next week and so on). How does the process work on other forums? I can look into it tomorrow but it may take a day or so to fully code. If that's okay?

has the thread gone that much off-topic?

X2-Illuminatus

X2-Illuminatus avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Yes, a thread has gone a bit off the original topic, but with interesting posts regarding another topic and so I would like to have it split. But it's actually not that much of a problem. I just like it tidy. Smile (*looking around in the room I'm sitting in*) Well, I like it tidy in forums. Big Grin

How does the process work on other forums?
- Roguey

I cannot say much about the actual implementation as in 'how it's coded'. I'm usually only the "enduser" in forums. But as for the interface: The split topic/thread function in phpbb forums usually displays all the posts in a topic in the order they were posted in. At the top of the screen you can enter a name for the new thread and select the forum the posts (in the new thread) should be moved to. You can then select each post by using tick boxes. After you have selected the posts you can either split the selected posts from the topic or leave the selected posts where they are and move the unselected instead.

I can look into it tomorrow but it may take a day or so to fully code. If thats okay?
- Roguey

Sure, whenever you have the time AND motivation. Smile There's no need to waste a well-deserved restful sunday just to fidle with forum code.

...or was it 23? Picture
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I think ill do it in 2 functions: a move and a split. The move allowing mods/admin to move posts around in the same board: encase replies would make more sense being in another thread (hopefully a move is useful). The split would be like you said, although I may make it so it only splits a single reply, then you use the move to combine the rest of the posts. However if this seem long-winded, I could make the split do multi-able posts too.

The move is easier for me to code, and acts like a middle ground for the split.

[update] Moving of post(s) is done. Split to be worked on tomorrow.

X2-Illuminatus

X2-Illuminatus avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Great, thanks.

...or was it 23? Picture
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Splitting of posts is now possible - although its took quite a bit of testing to get it work correctly. To do moving/split of post(s) use the mod box at the bottom of the thread (where you would lock/stick it). You can move/split a single post or multiple. Hopefully it all works okay Smile

X2-Illuminatus

X2-Illuminatus avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Thank you very much. I will ask Ketraar to try out the new function.

...or was it 23? Picture
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well if any of you guys need mod access let me know and I can grant them to you.

X2-Illuminatus

X2-Illuminatus avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Not needed, thank you. There isn't much to moderate in our forum.

I noticed a little bug with the Split topic function, though. After Ketraar split and deleted one of my posts from a thread, which I replied as last user to, my name is still displayed as last user who posted in that thread in the forum view, although that is dillpickle now.
It's this topic in our hidden AP-CP forum.

...or was it 23? Picture
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

hmmm.. very odd. I just wrote a reply (with the same code, unchanged) and it updated the last post correctly. I have deleted the post but my delete code doesnt update the last post (so this why should see my name, maybe I should add that).

I have no idea either where it got the 15th from either (after split), as the code is told to select only posts in the thread. However even if it got a crazy date, then the reply code should have overwritten the last post details. However I guess the main thing is that it works. Try to re-reply and see Smile

You need to log-in to post here.