X Rebirth was meant to be entrance into Consoles

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » X Rebirth was meant to be entrance into Consoles

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Thank you. Please do not think too black and white here in the sense that console = evil, PC = good. The truth is more complicated than that.
- "Bernd"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/discussions/0/648811852412228052/?tscn=1384654966#p3

Bernd has danced around the question a number of times. Finally he admits that Consoles was a direction they want to explore with Rebirth and have been trying to explore since X3.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

You are of course right that in X3 there were (no are) very complex AI commands which you can give via menus or hotkeys, but in these cases our solution was not to hide these in deeply nested menus. The much better solution is that you dont need them in the first place. THIS is really at the core of the game design goal of X Rebirth!
- "Bernd"

Oh my god... they think taking away command capability and the Think part of the game saved us from ourselves... Cold

jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 10 years ago.

There was talk about x3 being released on consoles a long time ago, but it never happened for some reason or other.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Yea I remmeber egosoft saying about it too, but they decided not carry on. Egosoft arent that big to be able to do a PC and a console versions of the game. As you can see they are struggling with the PC abit. However atleast we know egosoft will address everything given enough time.

birdtable

birdtable avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

Roguey ...Was X Rebirth born from the defective cells of a failed attempt to deliver a xbox baby... ?

Avertan

Avertan avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

The more I think about it. I bet Steam is responsible for most of this mess. Steam probably forced Egosoft as their major publisher to release a big picture title. Egosoft is hoping that if big picture mode works well they can easily port the game to consoles.

Umbru

Umbru avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

I think somewhere towards the end of development they started trying to rework the game to work with only a game pad, probably more because of Oculus Rift and Steam Box/Big picture than for console consumption.

Again I am enjoying the game but I'd still recommend most folks wait a bit to buy it a good milestone will probably be when it gets Linux and Mac support as they will have completely reworked the code by then and the worst bugs will probably be gone.

Umbru

Umbru avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

The combination of big picture and Oculus rift I think were the two things that made them center the controls around the game pad. Although I doubt it was less steam leaning on them and more them trying to look into the future and see where the market is going.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Roguey ...Was X Rebirth born from the defective cells of a failed attempt to deliver a xbox baby... ?
- birdtable

Well.. the short answer is I dont know. However if I did know the complete development cycle then I wouldnt be allowed to post it. I can understand why people may think its based on a xbox port. In defence, the xbox controller is quite heavy used in PC gaming nowadays (which isnt a bad thing). Although the mouse, keyboard and joystick support should of been better.

birdtable

birdtable avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

Roguey ..... I noticed you state "nowadays" ,,,development of Rebirth theoretically started 7 years ago....While no effort was made to include Joystick control...... To be honest I hope Egosoft go bust and allow more interested parties to obtain the rights to X3 Albion ..Create the discovery of a new gate to a whole new universe and move the game forward to fulfill the requirements of what appears to be a huge customer base...

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Irrefutable proof is in the game code. Someone is posting on the ES forums hundreds of lines of code referencing Hardware ID's, Texture calls, Shaders, controller, API's and they all are for xbox360.

We got lied to big time guys.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

#ifdef _XBOX
// unused in Xbox case
#define sRGB ;
#define LIN ;
#else
#define sRGB ;SRGBTEXTURE=true;
#define LIN ;SRGBTEXTURE=false;
#endif

// Define different vFace for Xbox and PC
#ifdef _XBOX
#define VFACESIGN(face) sign(face)
#else
#define VFACESIGN(face) sign(-face)
#endif

Oh my god... they even commented what they were doing and left the comments in

jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh well this just proves what was plainly obvious from watching Roguey's youtube vids of the game. I posted my reaction to this on another thread and I don't want to repeat myself here.

I will be patiently waiting for the release of X4, that is if Egosoft recovers from this mess.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

oh, i think ure right Barren, I am also finding entries for the Xbox360 the shader files;

shaders\high\XU_character.pbc
_xbox360Semantic_DIFFUSE3__diffuse_paint_map
_xbox360Semantic_NORMAL2__normal_detail_map

shaders\high\inc\lighting_macros
sampler2D s_ShadowMap : _xbox360Semantic_SHADOW = sampler_state    \

shaders\high\inc\macros
#ifdef _XBOX
    // unused in Xbox case
    #define sRGB ;
    #define LIN ;
#else
    #define sRGB ;SRGBTEXTURE=true;
    #define LIN ;SRGBTEXTURE=false;
#endif

// Define different vFace for Xbox and PC
#ifdef _XBOX
    #define VFACESIGN(face) sign(face)
#else
    #define VFACESIGN(face) sign(-face)
#endif

shaders\high\hair_fx
_xbox360Semantic_LIGHT_SCALE2__fresnelnoise_map

I never really looked at those files before now, but with a simple edit (even with notepad) its easy to see those files filled with those lines. inc files look like include files that egosoft forgot to remove from the dats. I guess none of this breaks the NDA, as there is CAT/DAT extractors out there already.

Sarakin

Sarakin avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

I am not a coder or a modder, so I am going to ask a question that is probably glaringly obvious to everyone else.

The core of what made an X game is missing right? We will never be able to make sprawling complexes and fleets. Our universe to fly and explore is sorely limited. The game as it currently stands just will not be able to handle that kind of complexity, because it was never meant to. So no amount of patching or modding will ever make this the next version of the X-Universe that we all wanted, correct?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Well with the fact of the xbox360 port I would say thats the case. Many of us (pc gamers) hate console ports because games are simplified to work with more basic controls, and a TV. Often console lack CPU grunt, so much of the depth is reduced to give players a better fps over depth. Okay the new consoles have a much better CPU than before, but XR was designed with the older generation of consoles - which look very dated with modern PC's. Console ports are often poorly coded; making our more powerful pc's suffer. This would explain the performance issues.

1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.