X Rebirth was meant to be entrance into Consoles

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » X Rebirth was meant to be entrance into Consoles

AngryToaster

AngryToaster avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

I am not a coder or a modder, so I am going to ask a question that is probably glaringly obvious to everyone else.

The core of what made an X game is missing right? We will never be able to make sprawling complexes and fleets. Our universe to fly and explore is sorely limited. The game as it currently stands just will not be able to handle that kind of complexity, because it was never meant to. So no amount of patching or modding will ever make this the next version of the X-Universe that we all wanted, correct?
- Sarakin

Until the game is patched into sufficient playability, we won't know what we have. Many of the old design choices had sizable costs associated with them. I know I wouldn't miss foregoing the bitter transition from fun space fighter to a more profitable Angel TP. I know I wouldn't miss the planning, paperwork, and money grinding required to build a large multi-system production line. I know I wouldn't miss having to command large engagements from OOS, so as to keep my ships from bashing each other to pieces.

It's fun to be a deep space robber baron. But it's also fun to be a smuggler or mercenary. Whether any of these roles is worth it or not is anybody's guess until they fix the friggin' bugs.

santi

santi avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

An update from Bernd in (german): http://www.pcgameshardware.de/X-Rebirth-PC-236813/News/X-Rebirth-fuer-Xbox-360-1097987/

"Update: We now have an opinion of Egosoft studio boss Bernd Lehahn: "We are experimenting for a long time with console versions of our games X3 Reunion we had already run on the Xbox 1 and Xbox 360 At that time we had problems with the menu and.. the console memory so that we could experiment did not continue. too, during the development of X Rebirth, we have experimented with Xbox 360. A controller controller that is supported now, we have time to implement, the memory problem persists on Xbox 360, however.

We had our universe can not accommodate the size with its many details on the console. Therefore, we have again decided against a console version - X Rebirth is a PC game. However, we are very excited about the new consoles, the Xbox One, and in particular the PlayStation 4, so we will deal with it as soon as our time permits. Now, however, our focus is 100% on X Rebirth. "

Katastrophi

Katastrophi avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

Nothing I've seen about other platforms bothers me. If the game is enjoyable, and I can play it on the PC, I don't care what other platforms the game is on. If they make a iPhone or Galaxy Watch, or Google Glass, as long as it doesn't lower my PC gaming fun, it won't affect my opinion.

Desius

Desius avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

Much ado about nothing.

Who cares if there is old console code in there.
The game has issues and bugs, not unlike any of the X releases. Give it time to sort out.

birdtable

birdtable avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

One fact the defenders of Egosoft appear to have overlooked ...What if X Rebirth had been accepted as an xbox game ... No mods for Albion .... No Albion.... What would Roguey have done with all that spare time....buy an xbox and give advice to 12 year olds about what cards to collect..

aiden

aiden avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

I found this site when i got X3 on sale through steam more then a year ago, and have put in around 240 hours on the game, so i am not really an expert or a superfan. I really have no problem with Egosoft putting out a console game on the X universe. Lets be honest here, the consumer base on consoles even for a 30-40$ game is far larger then the PC market.

That said, given the state of the game at release, and the horrible code, trying to pass off the console port that you could not pull off, as a PC game is very bad. At this point, i do not see egosoft recovering its lost fan base, but maybe i am wrong. Part of me still thinks that this game will be cleaned up and ported to PS4 or XBONE.

jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 10 years ago.

One fact the defenders of Egosoft appear to have overlooked ...What if X Rebirth had been accepted as an xbox game ... No mods for Albion .... No Albion.... What would Roguey have done with all that spare time....buy an xbox and give advice to 12 year olds about what cards to collect..
- birdtable

Egosoft never made Terran conflict or Albion Prelude In full. They had devs adding a few features to help with creating missions etc and mission guidance. The games themselves were made by members of modding teams and other community members such as Cycrow...

I found this site when i got X3 on sale through steam more then a year ago, and have put in around 240 hours on the game, so i am not really an expert or a superfan. I really have no problem with Egosoft putting out a console game on the X universe. Lets be honest here, the consumer base on consoles even for a 30-40$ game is far larger then the PC market.

That said, given the state of the game at release, and the horrible code, trying to pass off the console port that you could not pull off, as a PC game is very bad. At this point, i do not see egosoft recovering its lost fan base, but maybe i am wrong. Part of me still thinks that this game will be cleaned up and ported to PS4 or XBONE.
- aiden

If Egosoft had been honest about the project, the community would have helped them... X community are quite a loyal crowd. The reaction you are seeing on the official forums is because the community who have been there for years have been stabbed In the back and blatantly lied too.

If Egosoft broke away from DeepSilver tomorrow and asked for pledges on kickstarter for a real x4 game it would most probably succeed.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Well I dont know what to say any-more. Its really down to them now (all we can do is post our comments, and moan at them). However they really need to sit down and address the issues, the faster the better (I am not talking about bugs). Im personally not very optimistic, being in DevNet for 4/5 months now. I have told bernd how I feel (so Ill see what he says) and posted a large volume of text in their feedback area. However this isnt the first time ive done that, and none of it got listened too.

Atm, I feel its likely that DeepSilver will pull the plug when there are a few more metacritic reviews (first one at 20), just need like gamespot/ign to come in with a few 10-20's and that will probably be it.

ps. just a general note, do not blame any of the testers. They all done a great job, but ego didnt. If anyone has ago at them, I might kick them..

birdtable

birdtable avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

NO ... If Roguey broke any connection with Egosoft and took with him the right people then and only then would kickstarter be a real flyer ... The blame rests firmly on Bernd's shoulders ..he was the one who gave direction, he was the one who lied on record (just check any video he appeared in) ..He was the one who said it had been a great success.

jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Well I dont know what to say any-more. Its really down to them now (all we can do is post our comments, and moan at them). However they really need to sit down and address the issues, the faster the better (I am not talking about bugs). Im personally not very optimistic, being in DevNet for 4/5 months now. I have told bernd how I feel (so Ill see what he says) and posted a large volume of text in their feedback area. However this isnt the first time ive done that, and none of it got listened too.

Atm, I feel its likely that DeepSilver will pull the plug when there are a few more metacritic reviews (first one at 20), just need like gamespot/ign to come in with a few 10-20's and that will probably be it.

ps. just a general note, do not blame any of the testers. They all done a great job, but ego didnt. If anyone has ago at them, I might kick them..
- Roguey

I don't have much faith with the new title, but it's a personal choice on the game style for me.. I still believe they could make an x4 with this new engine they have..

I have no idea what caused them to opt for this direction they went, maybe I should check devnet myself as I have been a member since 2005.. I quit giving feedback and bug reports because I found it a waste of time.. I was ignored and you should know Roguey how creative I am on Ideas as I made a thread and listed around 30 ways to improve x3 off the top of my head on your forum a few years back when you were still modding x3.

P.S who is dissing the testers?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh no-one is dissing testers atm, however its already happened on the official site. I can understand why people may think its their/ours fault (cos they are supposed to be testers and so many bugs are in it). I just wanted to set the record straight here as well.

as devnet, I never knew they never listen to you either. Well it doesnt bode well by the sounds of it.

oh and btw thanks for the suggestions, I would re-look at them but my 'previous' posts page a bit messy - ill have a look and change it to something a bit easier Smile

jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh no-one is dissing testers atm, however its already happened on the official site. I can understand why people may think its their/ours fault (cos they are supposed to be testers and so many bugs are in it). I just wanted to set the record straight here as well.

as devnet, I never knew they never listen to you either. Well it doesnt bode well by the sounds of it.

oh and btw thanks for the suggestions, I would re-look at them but my 'previous' posts page a bit messy - ill have a look and change it to something a bit easier
- Roguey

You know I got into modding myself some time back, but Neverwinter Nights (first one) I spent over a year creating a warhammer fantasy rpg until my hd wipped for some strange reason when I moved house.. It was going to be an Epic!! It already had over 40k words of conversation and it was around half way complete. I had epic cutscenes that required more scripting than you could ever imagine... The story truely was effected by your choices....

http://youtu.be/ApLtIUw2X68

I'm afraid this rough unfinished cutscene I uploaded to my youtube channel is all I have left to show for it.... Cry

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

People blaming testers when those guys were bound by NDA and tried to warn Egosoft is retarded.

Further more there were a handful of us, me being the most vocal who warned of each and every thing that is going on with this game... Still they didn't listen.

jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I can believe it BarrenEarth, I just read this on the main forum with Bernd responding to the console theory... Seems a journalist has latched onto it and rang him up.. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=351575&sid=4b941866ab2bf139af51abd3f2a18b46

Again this just shows complete denial to what is perfectly obvious to anybody with two eyes and a few braincells. I didn't even need any sniffing around files of the game to work it out.. If they carry on with this lie it's only going to make it worse. And again why does it take a journalist to get the question answered when the evidence is pointed at on Egosofts own forum...

Lorn

Lorn avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

Cant believe I spent 40 quid on this. Given a year the modders might be able to do something with it I guess...

In the meantime the Star Citizen alpha kicks off in December with the dogfighting module; which will hopefully live up to expectations.

« 1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.