Do you like what you have seen of Rebirth so far?

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Do you like what you have seen of Rebirth so far?

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

I shall have to find out more about the explanation for how these new super highways work. If it's the same as the Terran's TOAs I shan't be impressed. Those are basically great big rail guns that fire ships, and that method is still iffy if you're talking about the relatively small distances between sectors in the Sol system. There's no way to adapt that to interstellar travel and keep it instantaneous, that's why the gates exist in the first place. Interstellar needs some kind of FTL, and if these new highways don't have that then I'm calling shenanigans.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

I guess ego hasnt been too good about explaining about these changes in detail. I mean this post by them doesnt really explain much:
-     [INFO] Navigation and universe design,

Do gates work any-more? if so, what do they do? seeing as highways are supposed to replace them? Or do gates link areas with many highway's? A very important question in a space game.. how the heck do you travel in it?

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

They claim to be going for realistic proportions, and frankly that's just BS. There's no way to get truly realistic proportions in a interstellar space game without those "Hacks". Nobody wants to spend 4 years to get to the closest star. If they remove the jump drive claiming that without the gates it'll be useless then I'm also calling shenanigans on that. If you've ever taken a Jump Beacon into an UFJD sector then you'll know as well as I do that you don't need gates in your sector to jump to it.

If jumping is removed it will be the first thing that's modded back in, followed by the reactivation of the gate network.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I've been following this thread and from what I've read so far I don't think I will be trying this game when it's released.

There are just some things that are part of the X universe that just shouldn't be messed with.

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Ghostwulff

Ghostwulff avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 11 years ago.

What we really need to do is look around and see if there are any examples of other software companies who have done what EGOSOFT are planning to do. Unfortunately the answer is YES there is and did we always get a better game for major moves from a winning formula. NO

To give you an example of what I mean UBISOFT and the SILENT HUNTER (sub sims) series of games. I know totally different type of games, but it’s what they did that sounds very similar to what EGOSOFT are planning. When they went from SILENT HUNTER 4 wolves of the Pacific, to SILENT HUNTER 5 Battle of the Atlantic.

UBISOFT said you will now CAPTAIN one ship or type of Sub, SOUND FAMILIAR. Take my word for it, it failed. IMO one ship got boring very quickly.

They also said you will have a crew you can interact with SOUND FAMILIAR. I stopped talking to my crew after a few days because it got annoying very quickly hearing the same LIMITED responses. It was never relevant to the current situation and was predictable. I think the idea was to make me feel that I was The Captain and an important part of the crew, IT NEVER DID, Or at least not for very long.

UBISOFT said you will be able to upgrade your ship, SOUND FAMILIAR, when SILENT HUNTER 5 came out your ship upgrades were unlocked sequentially with not much thought given to them. Also when you got a better upgrade there was no need to use any other variant. I really do hope EGSOFT don’t make this mistake. One ship limits what upgrades to use to BEST one, with no need to change unless your role changes. Which I don’t think it will by the sounds of it, I can see that when you have the best equipment fitted to your ship (regardless of how long it takes) it will soon after become boring.

There are many other things that they promised that never worked right or you just didn’t notice, such has better graphics, and influencing your environment or the war. Which in EGOS case would be the ECONOMY? I believe that SH4 was the best UBISOFT did but SH5 was to different and i was always missing what i had LOST.

So EGOSOFT be warned.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I never played or heard of the Silent Hunter series (looks like a similar idea with Submarines).. however quite a few points you raised do seem to be very very similar to what ego are planning. However if those points have been tried already and failed badly then this doesn't bow too well.

I agree the one ship thing will suck, I remmeber switching to a Boron Octopus in X-Tension thinking how strange it was seeing a different cockpit and the ship handing differently. Before X-Tension there was BTF, which you were stuck in the X-Shuttle. It did the job and for its era it was fine, however we had the freedom to change ships for a very long time now. I do feel that we have too many choices of ships (tons of variants etc.), so it would of been better if we could fly just like 10-12 different ships but could customize them. However 1 ship fixes us just to one role more or less... even 2 or 3 ships would of been not so bad!

Crew... well I dont know about them. It could be a way of naming the AI parts of the game, ie. saying a crew is controlling a turret, where atm we simply give it orders. I really dont see how crew can help or improve things: to be a real crew person, they would need to take over control of something. However most things are already done by the AI. Yeah it would be nice to see crew walking around on the deck of capital ship.. heck, we wont be even able to do that.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I have, and still play Silent Hunter 4.
Pretty good game---especially after a bad day in traffic Evil

I greatly anticipated Silent Hunter 5---until I read what changes were made to the game, many listed by Ghostwulff. I decided not to waste the money---and I was right not to.

Some times changes to games can be good--many times they don't work out.

I'm still with my above comment.
From what I've heard (seen) so far, I don't think I will be interested.
I enjoy the freedoms available in TC (and AP--which I'll get once it's out on disc) and would miss them.

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Kad

Kad avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 11 years ago.

They claim to be going for realistic proportions, and frankly that's just BS. There's no way to get truly realistic proportions in a interstellar space game without those "Hacks". Nobody wants to spend 4 years to get to the closest star. If they remove the jump drive claiming that without the gates it'll be useless then I'm also calling shenanigans on that. If you've ever taken a Jump Beacon into an UFJD sector then you'll know as well as I do that you don't need gates in your sector to jump to it.

If jumping is removed it will be the first thing that's modded back in, followed by the reactivation of the gate network.
- Seygantte

did they not say that the gates were "Gates still exist, but right now.... they do not work. However, there are signs that this may soon change" that to me implies that the plot (or one of them hopefully) will be about reactivating the gate network/ finding out why it failed (the hub was really a control hub and it needed MORE microchips so we need to re-deliver all the resources but 150k microchips this time.... im joking i hope) but really the gate network is integral to the X-Universe in lore and consequently from an ingame perspective the races would definitely be investigating what lead to its failure.

also am i the only one who sort of likes the idea of the highways? i just wish there would be a way to hire jonferco to build a highway exit right next to your complex. i also hope that because we can now build custom stations that any ship building factories work logically (building an m2 1 by 1 is fine but in the same space you can only build 1 fighter at a time :S do they have a party with the extra space). also apparently the races are now split into factions which gives a lot of possibilities even if only to modders :P.

Edit: oh and about the 1 ship only thing if we're being honest who would notice if players were limited to just a Hyperion when they got it? a lot of people will find a ship they like and then never change to a different one and IF the customisation works as intended then your ship will fight the way you want it to and considering we haven't seen ANY of the customisations then i won't pass judgement i mean for all we know the ship could feature upgrades that strip shielding/hull strength for speed and manouverability to bring it more in line with the m3's or it could maybe do the reverse and essentially become the most badass m2 killing m6 to ever fly, we just don't know and so i'm going to wait it out i feel.

also guys you forget the most important part: with the new stations we don't have to fiddle about with complex tube things that spaz out for no apparent reason. that alone is worth it to me

p.s the first thing that will be modded in will be the ability to change your ships name, i am not flying around in a ship called the Albion Skunk no matter how badass it may look/be

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

did they not say that the gates were "Gates still exist, but right now.... they do not work. However, there are signs that this may soon change" that to me implies that the plot (or one of them hopefully) will be about reactivating the gate network.
- Kad

Gee I never would have guessed that ^o). I read the article, and so don't need to be quoted at. "Without the gates" was referring to their functionality, not to their existence, hence the spiel about the jump drive. I was pointing out that the whole thing is stupid if you can still jump around due to the ability to jump to gateless sectors. There would no great difference to the player unless they also remove the jumpdrive, and that would just be bogus. Or they would have to cut jumping to gateless sectors, which would scrap the UFJD, which is also pretty bogus. Or they would have to cut jump beacons. Again, bogus.

Kad

Kad avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 11 years ago.

compare jumping to airtravel for a moment, if GPS dissappeared then we would still be able to fly planes, it wouldn't be as safe but because we've mapped this planet still do-able. if the gate network stops working then and it fulfils the navigational role that gps does then according to the x-universe lore the races haven't mapped the universe so sure they could jump but without any real idea of where you were jumping to, and i -think- that it's been said that the gates also handled the communications and sending data stuff so how would a ship jumping be able to lock onto a jump beacon? it doesn't know it's there

also it's late so im not sure if im reading you right but jumping to a gateless sector would still be sync'd to the gate network assuming the data/gps comparison is valid, if not then im just rambling BS

as for UFJD i always thought it was some sort of either top secret/extremely rare and valuable item that you couldn't mass produce (could easily be wrong) but even then supposing you can jump to a random sector exactly what good does that do to your traders "oh hey you just random jumped into xenon sector 347" ¬.¬

i think though we both agree that jumpdrives/jumping will return in rebirth at some point (be it in vanilla or otherwise)

ConCorDian

ConCorDian avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

obviously depending on how it is finally introduced im kind of for the new way of traveling.

from my understanding there are still going to be 4 ways of getting about.... conventional engines and just put up with the time it takes (because we dont have SETA) normal highways, super highways and Gates.

Highways we can enter and exit as we please, but they will only take you around the same area of space such as around a planetary body. super highways will take you between planetary bodies, but you cannot enter and exit where you want. and the Gates will be inter solar, taking you from one solar system to another... so for me this will function a bit like freelancers trade lanes and gate system. that for me is a good thing, and the removal of seta is also a good thing, because for me immersion is something i really look for in these kinds of games and the idea of you being the only person who can own and operate something that is so powerful you can speed up time kind of breaks that.

as for the jumpdrive, ill admit ill be dissapointed if its not there in some way shape or form, Kad's GPS type arguement for all flawed when dealing with space is somewhat acurate as a generalisation... i dont see why after so many years shipboard computers would not be able to generate their own jump coordinates... therefore the use of a gate or JB should be negated. im saying after so many years because if the universe has just survived a supernova, lost all infrastructure, reformed an infrastructure, rebuilt, and flourished again there has got to have been a fair number of years past since the X3 universe!!

the ingame issues with being able to jump anywhere you have mapped previously is unless you know exactly whats going on at your jump coordinates is you could jump into another ship... thing is im a big Babylon 5 fan, and i love the fact that they could use their jumpdrive as a weapon!! if you can lock onto a coordinate acturate enough the point where you emerge from would carry enough energy to blow up ships or stations. so my idea for it would be you could jump anywhere, but they add in a range-accuracy multiplier. the further your jump the more it could drift from your input coordinates, meaning jumping across the entire galaxy with no fixed point of exit (like a JB or gate or perhaps even another ship sending back upto date location data) the higher chance you have coming out directly onto an asteroid or station!! but the shorter the jump the more accurate.. you could also cut down the coordinate drift by upgrading your onboard computers and sensors.

but having the point of exit as a sort of volatile energy feild would be pretty sweet!! also another thing i would have liked is for other ships to be able to piggy back your jump point... if your on a big carrier, and it opens a jump point then you could send fighters through that cant open their own and then the carrier follow them through.. just the length of time a jump point could be open would need to be a factor.

tho' we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
- Tennyson
ConCorDian

ConCorDian avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

take it the rebirth section here is kind of dead?

tho' we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
- Tennyson
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

take it the rebirth section here is kind of dead?
- ConCorDian

Well until egosoft release some more info - I guess so. Its been ages since we hear anything new about rebirth.

Devu77

Devu77 avatar
Level badge Noguey (0)
Posted 11 years ago.

What i see in X:R is a new style of gameplay wich is more centered arround Roleplay. For me, the series was allways about how i could do alot of different stuff and associate with the environment on the amount of RP i could put into it. X-BTF was the one that introduced it for me, X2 made it more complex, and X3:reunion made it just a bit worse on one end(missing cockpick was a huge blow to RP potential. id rather have a cockpit without view while staring at a monitor of the sector then having nothing at all.), but a bit better on the other end as well.(better graphics, continued interesting plot, a few more mechanics ect.) X3:TC made a few setbacks with the seemingly unintegrated plot(i dont know how you feel about it, but without NPCs to get familiar with its a lost story in my little world...). X3:AP was a bit of a dissapointment for it hasnt really given any more to the storyline then X3:TC did.
-i want to explain myself a bit here, for its easy to misunderstand my opinion on the storyline. In X-BTF, you got staranded and you got into a fight between two sides: The races of the X universe vs. The Xenon. As of the concept, that the Xenon where misterious and their being got more and more clear with time, was driving me to play the game, enjoy growing up(so to say) and then fight the Xenon with the races i got familiar with across the playtime. It was a memorable experience and i would pack out that game anytime to play it again. X2 did the same thing, but better. Better grafics, better storytelling(even if the graphics where a bit goofy back then), another "Threat"(as the name also implies) and so you get to know the X universe all over again, plus all those likable characters you encounter makes the game environment feel ALIVE. X3 got the storytelling right, i guess. X3:TC was the one to go ahead and kill off the Kha'ak! Why? I mean, sure, lets fight the Kha'ak! But after Terran conflicts Final Fury (spoiler) the kha'ak are gone for good? I cant find them anymore in X3:AP! I liked them, their weponry and their ships! They where awesome enemies and now they are gone. The Xenon are not that big of a threat anymore either, they just sit in their own little sectors like some meatgrinders, gobbling up any freighter dumb enough to go there(Thats the AI for you!). If not for the occasional patroll or invasion missions they rarely come out of there, and even then, larger then P and rapid response bum-violators pop out of nowhere and blow them to dust! Thats no fun... i want the enemies to tear sectors up! Missions should be revolving around the losses, like, if a sector is popped by a fleet of xenon and they are expanding their territory into the sectors of the Commonwealth, missions should be centered arround fighting them back and then helping rebuilding the sectors, for the right price. Me, as a player, i never felt really NEEDED in the X3+ games. I HOPE TO GOD that Rebirth will change that and if it does, egosoft has won and so did we.-

The hopes are up for X Rebirth, for it WILL have a cockpit for ambiente(praise Egosoft), The plot seems interesting(even if there is not much published yet, the possibilities are pointing into the right direction), furthermore, the ship will be filled with rooms and NPCs(damn! the ships are not hollow anymore!), so that the ability to switch between ships is missing, is a bit more... excusable. I mean, if we look at X3+ the ships where nothing more then size, shape and overall stats. If i could choose between ANY of the X3+ Ships and the new X:R one, the Albion Skunk would win sky high, just for the fact that it has more gameplay AND strategic options.(The only thing you can variate on X3 ships are weaponry. there is not much more strategy involved there. MAXed out stats and every upgrade there is and you are done.) Seriously, if i could choose to refit my Split Panther to a intergalactic turd collector, i would... but i just cant.(a shame, really.)

In this thread i found various good ideas, wich the egosoft forums are BRISTLING with by now, so i can imagine that the devs are more or less only typing code and figuring out how they can implement and balance stuff you guys give them so willingly instead of thinking about what the game should have themselves. This actually helps them in time. Nice.

As for SETA... who cares? if the overall gameplay aint interrupted by long waits(those boring parts you want to SETA through because they are just too long to wait through) then the halfway fast-paced space sim keeps its four fundemental qualities. AAAAND if id have a dollar for every time i almost pulled out my hair because the Autopilot AI bugged out on me and crashed against invisible textures, because i pressed "J" i wouldnt have 3billion credits, i'd have 3billion DOLLARS.

Trading is fundamental in the X series, so lets trade some good aspects for other good aspects!
SETA -> More smooth AI + faster gameplay
Gates(disclaimer: they might be back someday) -> Highways with new interesting exploration possibilities
Multiple player ships -> One ship that actually feels like a ship(at least, lets hope it does.)
and as a bonus we even get stunning grafics. From this point on its for everyone to descide if they like the deal, but for one and also, to answer the question of this thread:

I do.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

How does upgrading the ships work?
The player's ship is a special case; it can be reconstructed and upgraded by experts in different ways. Stations and bigger ships however can be upgraded based on construction plans, which function in a similar way to a tech tree; in some cases it may be linear sequence of upgrades, while in others it can be a tree with many alternatives.

Will there be a limit as to the amount of modules you can build on a station or carrier ship?
There is always a limit. As mentioned before, this limit depends on the actual construction plan.

We know a little about Virtual Reality and remote control of drones, that's great I'm on-board with that, but how do I control a fleet of ships in the new world of Rebirth?
Indirectly. Controlling a capital ship happens by commanding it. In a large battle this happens mostly by planning your battle ahead of time and then focussing on smaller tasks like disabling a critical weapon system while the large ships execute the job you planned for them.

Will we be able to run a hardcore economical game?
In X Rebirth it is very common to trade with capital ships. This is in fact one of the main reasons why we wanted to re-invent the way capital ships are controlled. So trading with large capital traders and whole fleets is very easy and happens while you can play anything you want in parallel.

To what extent are new, currently unknown station types planned to give the player additional new options?
Actually, almost all stations will be new in X Rebirth. This starts with the completely new economic system; only a few wares and resources from previous games are still around. As every station module can be equipped with a wide array of turrets, shields and many other elements, there is a much bigger difference between the combat ability of stations, which you may not always be able to see right away, and the ability to add different manufacturing and production modules means a greater variety as in the old complex building system.

Where do we stand with big complexes, will we be able to build the whole complex from just expanding one station or won't there be anything like that?
When you start building a station you decide for a specific plan. The plan of that station can allow you many alternatives, but it always starts with a single core station. Over time you make decisions how to expand the complex and you play missions to help building it bigger and stronger. You have a lot more freedom and a lot more decisions and building a complex is a much slower process than it was in previous games. But even though it can take a long time to create a huge complex, it never gets boring, because you have so many things to do and you never have to wait for anything because most things can happen while you play at the opposite side of the universe.

Will there be a Stock Exchange, as in Albion Prelude?
First of all, we try to reduce features that a very complicated and need a lot of menus to ones that are easy to use. During that process we deliberately omit things too.
Although I'm a big fan of the Stock Exchange in X3: Albion Prelude, there won't be something like that in X Rebirth, when it will be released. However, that doesn't mean that we might not find a solution for that later, for example in an extension. The interface would be different then, though.

Will it be possible to incorporate the environment into the fights?
Enabling fights in complex 3D environments was one of our most important goals. The new gigantic stations, which are much more detailed than those of the past, can serve as exciting settings for fights.

Will it be possible to play as a pirate?
Absolutely. Especially in this area there are big differences to the previous X-games. The reputation of the player towards a certain faction depends less on what he did, but rather on what he was caught at. ;-)

Putting this in other words, smugglers for example are much harder to identify in the game now. Whether the player sides with one party or has more than one iron in the fire is, apart from some exceptions in the plot, totally up to him. The freedom of being able to decide on my own what my relations to others are and which parts of the game I'm more interested in, is from my point of view one of the key points of the X-series.

Do capital ships use the same highways as smaller crafts?
No. Highways are reserved for ship only up to a maximum size. Larger ships use jump drives that require fuel.

How will scanners work in the new game? Will it be the same as X3 where everything within range is picked up or will there be items that could block your scanners?
In X Rebirth there is a big difference between being in scanner range for a quick ID and being REALLY scanned deeply. There are several levels of scanning. Your true identification for example is something that requires a deeper scan. If you attack a station or shoot down a small transport vessel near a station, the law enforcement of that station may immediately start to hunt you, but they do not know exactly who you are (YET). Hiding in the right place, for long enough can help you not being punished for your evil deeds Wink This works vice versa for your own map system too. You can see whats going on around your stations and ships, but you may not know all the details unless you scan for them.

What about endgame content?
The same as in all X games before. When the plot ends, what happens next is entirely up to you. You can if you want, set your own master plan to make big changes to the universe and eliminate an entire faction if you like, or you continue building up your empire peacefully. You can continue playing missions, or you continue exploring the more remote areas of the huge universe. We do not decide this for you, we only want to provide the universe, and leave these questions to you.

Was the gamepad support removed?
Removed? Quite the contrary. We attach great importance to the ability to also play the game entirely with a gamepad. As you might have read already, we want to update the current X3 games with the same functionality as well. Since the interface for the X3 games is much more complex, it's not possible to make gamepad control quite as smooth as in X Rebirth, but nevertheless it should be possible to fully control all aspects of your game with one.

source: Egosoft newsletter Edition 49 - December 2012

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

You need to log-in to post here.